The No 5 cheat stick....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;I7Wd7f9_lRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Wd7f9_lRk[/video]

Norrin explains how the hybrid has an advantage over an iron even for the pros. 2mins into this video.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My question to him would be why couldn't I play a cut shot with my 4 iron. He said he can do with it his hybrid, and if you don't have a hybrid you would use a 7 iron in a conventional manner.

Tom Wishon said that hybrids are great for recreational golfers who don't have the swing speed to get the necessary height with the long irons, the hybrids allow recreational players to get a higher launch than they would normally be able to get with their long irons.

I don't have that problem. I hit my irons incredibly high, even my long irons.

As for the 2 iron being ancient, why? I hit mine about 260 yards and straight. I find it much easier to hit than my woods so because it's not in fashion I should move to a hybrid.

What does the hybrid offer me that my long irons don't. I don't need more forgiveness, I really don't need more height. What tangible advantages do I get. Other than the hybrid may be useful if I'm in deep rough 200+ yards out.

I don't have anything against hyrbrids or people that use them. Golf equipment is very personal and should be tailored to individuals strengths

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tom Wishon said that hybrids are great for recreational golfers who don't have the swing speed to get the necessary height with the long irons, the hybrids allow recreational players to get a higher launch than they would normally be able to get with their long irons.

As for the 2 iron being ancient, why? I hit mine about 260 yards and straight. I find it much easier to hit than my woods so because it's not in fashion I should move to a hybrid.

What does the hybrid offer me ....other than the hybrid may be useful if I'm in deep rough 200+ yards out.

1. We (recreational golfers) all seem to be saying the same as Tom....

2. Clearly a young, fit, + handicap golfer like yourself has only the sort of situation Alex outlines (and tries to explain why the iron isn't an option)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My question to him would be why couldn't I play a cut shot with my 4 iron. He said he can do with it his hybrid, and if you don't have a hybrid you would use a 7 iron in a conventional manner.

I don't have that problem. I hit my irons incredibly high, even my long irons.

What does the hybrid offer me that my long irons don't. I don't need more forgiveness, I really don't need more height. What tangible advantages do I get. Other than the hybrid may be useful if I'm in deep rough 200+ yards out.

I don't have anything against hyrbrids or people that use them. Golf equipment is very personal and should be tailored to individuals strengths
No one is forcing you to get one. :D But you did touch on the advantage at the end there. I don't always use my hybrid if I'm on the fairway, but when I'm in the rough with a fair distance still to go, it always fares much better than an iron would. That's why I'm glad I have one in the bag, mainly.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course not, I was just putting forwards an alternative to the video that garyinderry posted. I dare say as I get older and less able to hit my long irons I will move over to hybrids.

But a single advantage in a situation I don't often find myself. To be 200+ yards away it would have to be a long par 4 or par 5 which aren't too common 2-4 per round. I still wouldn't hit the green anyway, so why not hit a 5 iron cut shot back into the fairway and leave a third on.

Tiger, Rory and Ernie always used to play the long iron, if hybrids were an advantage to pros as Norren suggests why do some of the best ever players no use them

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have given up with the idea of ever using hybrids. Tried several different ones over the last 10 years, but I do not know why, but I feel like I'm always fighting against hooking them. Yes I have tried different ball positions, tried hitting like a mid iron and also like a fairway wood. But they just never look right in my hand and I have no confidence with them. But give me my MP18 Fli-Hi and I am right at home, draw, fade, low puncher under the wind, I find it easy to hit anyway I want.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;I7Wd7f9_lRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Wd7f9_lRk[/video]

Norrin explains how the hybrid has an advantage over an iron even for the pros. 2mins into this video.

I tried that technique Norrin describes today but hit it from the fairway. Opened up the face, aimed left and chopped down on it. wow. Hit real powerful high cut that sat down quickly.

Ive been mostly sweeping the hybrids when trying to hit a high one. May need to change my thinking after today.