Shanking at The Range

Neeko1988

Visit site
Update:

For some strange reason, I decided to make another visit to the range this evening. It's been over a month since my shanking problems and I thought/hoped I'd be fine this time. How wrong was I. If anything I was even worse than last time: I'm not even really shanking it anymore, there just stone cold duffs and weird tops along the floor. Clearly something is happening to my swing that only manifests itself at the range. So, I decided to take the advice given on this forum and put the irons/wedges away and just hit my driver & woods. After all, you can't shank them.

First swing with driver - it was a bit of a squirty one to the left but at least I got it away. Second swing - I took the head clean off my Cobra driver. Lol. Wtf is going on?? I'm a 9 handicap and my swing is so bad at the range I'm now breaking clubs and unable to get the ball airborne. It's safe to say that I'm never going to a driving range EVER again. The worst thing is my confidence is now completely shot and I'm starting to doubt if I can still play the game. My next round back on the course is going to be very interesting.

What I did when I was going through a similar thing was too video myself. You can soon see then the reason for the shank..

benjo09

Visit site
I've had a bad case of the shanks recently so had a lesson yesterday and once I'd seen it on video it was so obvious. In an effort to not come back inside, I was going too outside and so moving my hands away from the body in the back swing which then meant they were too far away coming through. Worked on a few drills and found the ones that worked and now hitting the ball better than I have in a long time. Definitely get your swing on video but if not then nothing beats a lesson IMO.

The drills that worked best for me were sticking a tee a few mm outside the toe of the club at address and having to swing and hit the ball but miss the tee and addressing the ball but hitting a ball that was a ball inside the other. Had to start slow and work up to full swings but its set me on the road to fixing the problem.

Funt1m3

Visit site
As a long term sufferer is of the dreaded S. I know the ruiness experience it can bring. After hours - and I do mean hours - of lessons on this subject the last one he said to me, it’s just you hand eye coordination.

Since then I’ve been working on hand eye coordination drills. Search HE drills on YouTube and there is some great swings to trial down the range. Seriously

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Update:

For some strange reason, I decided to make another visit to the range this evening. It's been over a month since my shanking problems and I thought/hoped I'd be fine this time. How wrong was I. If anything I was even worse than last time: I'm not even really shanking it anymore, there just stone cold duffs and weird tops along the floor. Clearly something is happening to my swing that only manifests itself at the range. So, I decided to take the advice given on this forum and put the irons/wedges away and just hit my driver & woods. After all, you can't shank them.

First swing with driver - it was a bit of a squirty one to the left but at least I got it away. Second swing - I took the head clean off my Cobra driver. Lol. Wtf is going on?? I'm a 9 handicap and my swing is so bad at the range I'm now breaking clubs and unable to get the ball airborne. It's safe to say that I'm never going to a driving range EVER again. The worst thing is my confidence is now completely shot and I'm starting to doubt if I can still play the game. My next round back on the course is going to be very interesting.

If its any consolation I went the range on Wednesday night and I reckon I shanked 40 of the 100 balls. I shanked the first couple, stepped away and then tried to reset but it just got worse. Ended up leaving about 40 balls and just walking away.

Naturally I was then dreading playing yesterday but I didn't hit a single shank, in fact my iron and wedge play was as good as it had been all year and I was using my tiny 90's blades as opposed to my jpx 921s.

I think its different on course, my mindset is more thinking about what I want to do as opposed to how I want to do it. ie. "Right I'm between clubs I'll hit a soft 7 and try and drop it close since the greens are soft." Rather than filling my mind with swing thoughts.

You might surprise yourself when you get on the course so don't be worried about it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If its any consolation I went the range on Wednesday night and I reckon I shanked 40 of the 100 balls. I shanked the first couple, stepped away and then tried to reset but it just got worse. Ended up leaving about 40 balls and just walking away.

Naturally I was then dreading playing yesterday but I didn't hit a single shank, in fact my iron and wedge play was as good as it had been all year and I was using my tiny 90's blades as opposed to my jpx 921s.

I think its different on course, my mindset is more thinking about what I want to do as opposed to how I want to do it. ie. "Right I'm between clubs I'll hit a soft 7 and try and drop it close since the greens are soft." Rather than filling my mind with swing thoughts.

You might surprise yourself when you get on the course so don't be worried about it.
Same for me. I'm fine when I'm thinking about the target and not about my swing. On a range the target isn't really the same, you start thinking about your swing and doing something you would normally do by nature.

peld

Visit site
This happens to me a couple of times a year. Last few weeks I’ve probably played my best golf ever. Tuesday I went for a driver fitting and was pouring it.
Thursday night went the range and must have shanked half my balls. I think as others as have said it was because I was at the end of the range without some good targets to aim at.
Saturday morning I shot 5 over gross and won our match 5 up without hitting a shank.

nickh

Visit site
I have only just come across this thread, the timing of which couldn't have been any better!
Recently I been experiencing these very same issues; 9 HI, play twice a week minimum all year round, and I like or I did like to go to the range to work on my irons with no significant issues.
The last 2 visits to the range have resulted in THE WORST S's ever; 90 degrees to the right, 3 inches above the turf hosel rockets. I was actually embarrassed enough to say enough is enough and walk off after a couple dozen balls.
The most intriguing bit about it is that the very next round outdoors following these horror show range sessions I have shot gross 67 and 68 and not a single dufffed stroke!?! I'd go so far as to say that I am playing and striking the balls as well as I ever have.
Having thought about what I am experiencing and the causes for this bad sessions, I can only put it down to the sense of being in an enclosed bay which is predefining how I set up with reference to the ball and target, and as such is causing me to address the ball too closely and/or swing across the ball. There are so many straight lines and edges in the bay/the mat etc I think that I am setting up perpendicular to these and not in relation to where I want to aim.
Anyway, long shot is that now I try and only head the range when it is light and I can use the outdoor areas.

Lukeyash

Visit site
I can only put it down to the sense of being in an enclosed bay which is predefining how I set up with reference to the ball and target, and as such is causing me to address the ball too closely and/or swing across the ball. There are so many straight lines and edges in the bay/the mat etc I think that I am setting up perpendicular to these and not in relation to where I want to aim.
Anyway, long shot is that now I try and only head the range when it is light and I can use the outdoor areas.

I've come to the exact same conclusion: it's the enclosed space that is destroying my swing. Although it's for slightly different reasons. It's all psychological for me. I just can't commit and swing freely/properly as, subconsciously, I feel boxed in and like I'm going to hit something. It's very weird. In the space of two months I've gone from a player who was regularly shooting scores in the mid 70s to someone who, at the range, literally can't even hit the ball anymore. Seriously, on Friday night I was comfortably worse than someone who'd never played golf before in their life. Like I said in my previous post, my swing was so bad I snapped the head clean off my driver, for crying out loud.

I love my golf so I was kinda freaking out and worried that my swing had just gone. Therefore, whilst walking the dog, I took a wedge and a few balls out with me just to try and put my mind at ease and reassure myself that I can actually still hit a golf ball in the air. And, thankfully, I can. I still feel a bit mentally scarred and my next proper round in the spring will be slightly nervy. However, if I can forget about my three horrific experiences at the range, in a couple of months I think I'll be fine. Oh, and by the way, does anyone know a good website for buying cheap secondhand drivers? ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sjw

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Just to revive this thread, I gave a possible explanation in post #2. Today, following my own advice, I just couldn't stop. On the course I've been hitting it quite well but this morning I hit more unmentionables than anything else. I'm at a loss to explain it, I really am.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to revive this thread, I gave a possible explanation in post #2. Today, following my own advice, I just couldn't stop. On the course I've been hitting it quite well but this morning I hit more unmentionables than anything else. I'm at a loss to explain it, I really am.
Have you tried videoing yourself using your phone when it is happening? It may be clear as to the problem when you see the footage.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Have you tried videoing yourself using your phone when it is happening? It may be clear as to the problem when you see the footage.
I might do that, I've a slo mo camera & mini tripod I use. I'm going to use some impact tape on the course too because I suspect that even the good shots are a bit close to the hosel. Standing a bit further from the ball seemed to help, got the weight more onto my toes, like standing at the edge of a high building, looking down, as my mentor, Jim Hardy describes it.

Jentson

Visit site
Hi guys new to this forum, golfing probably 10yrs, not very regularly golfer, best score as 91... yet to break 90.
Great reading this chat to know I am not alone.

Been having this issue forever, every once a while when I am hitting well at the course, maybe having 2-3 good games in a row, I tend to want to hit the range to improve, but 90% of the time I will be hitting the shanks there... felt even worst than a beginner, then I will have to force myself to stay away from golf totally for couple of weeks or 1-2months.

The same issues re-loop each and every time... its always 1 step forward 2 steps back... at my wits end... just want to eradicate this shank once and for all, cant rmb the last I shank on the course though.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it does, & I know that's what cause is, but that's on the course as well as the range. So why does it happen much more often at the range?

Hard to tell without seeing you but could it be careless set-up?
Hitting ball after ball with little or no pre shot routine could lead to careless address position

Red devil

Visit site
Hitting ball after ball with little or no pre shot routine could lead to careless address position
Been guilty of that a few times. So instead of 100 balls belted all over,I now get 50 and take my time over each one

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been guilty of that a few times. So instead of 100 balls belted all over,I now get 50 and take my time over each one
I don't know how anyone can hit 100 balls at the range. After about 60 or 70 I'm thoroughly bored and just racing through them to get rid of what's left. :LOL:

Last time I went to the range I was alright, the only Hilary Swanks didn't show their face this time. It might have been because I was using TopTracer and getting distances - just gave something to focus on perhaps. As I've said before I'm better with a target in mind rather than just hitting without purpose, so maybe focusing on what I wanted to achieve was enough as well.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It could be. Better this morning. I have a bad habit of coming over the top &, concentrating on not doing it today, seemed to help. Not sure though why I should do it more at the range.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It could be. Better this morning. I have a bad habit of coming over the top &, concentrating on not doing it today, seemed to help. Not sure though why I should do it more at the range.
Don't concentrate as much? You ultimately know it is a free hit so it is hard to keep focus (this definitely applies to me)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob fixed my shanks about 7 years ago by watching a video. He told me I was swaying all over the place. He said to try and stay more centred and keep the head from moving all over the place.

I was ready to put all my clubs on ebay after a horror range session. I was in the very left bay and pinged about 100 balls diagonally across the range. There was people looking over with a mixture of pity and disgust as I sent ball after ball across their view.