Video Of My Dodgy Swing

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
although my swing has been okay for the last few weeks, i filmed it the other day and couldnt help noticing how strange it looked.
so, as i was bored today, i have decided to unleash the video upon you.(sorry for the poor quality and that it is in my back garden, clubs are in scotland so had to use an old iron.)

can be as critical as you want ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJy2VwB4ANs

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've banned myself from commenting, but can I ask...are you using a vintage VCR for this? Looks like family holidays from the late 1980s.

Sorry. :)

A

Alex1975

Might have been better to post a shot you were happy with, you looked disgusted with that one.

What exactly did you think looked weird in your swing?

At a quick glance I see your right elbo is all over the place both on your practice swings and shot. You also look a long way above plane on the way back.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Might have been better to post a shot you were happy with, you looked disgusted with that one.

What exactly did you think looked weird in your swing?

At a quick glance I see your right elbo is all over the place both on your practice swings and shot. You also look a long way above plane on the way back.

i thought my right arm looked very strange in the backswing, as you pointed out.
sorry to sound daft, what does above plane mean? too steep ?

A

Alex1975

i thought my right arm looked very strange in the backswing, as you pointed out.
sorry to sound daft, what does above plane mean? too steep ?

Hmm I feel dumb now... What I should have replied was - where does the ball start and finish? You make no comment about having an issue. It's clearly working better than its looking as your handicap is dropping.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I've been tinkering with it a bit as i kept push fading everything right, so strengthened my grip and now it seems okay.
But the reason i want to change it is because i have no feel for the swing. I can't trust it and my ball striking is ridiculously inconsistent because of my swing.

I tried to get more one plane which worked for the first part of the back swing but then i went too steep.

My swing just doesn't feel fluid, no rhythm and i want to fix that.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ally.

I've been resisting, but the urge is too great.

(Don't worry, I'm off on holiday in 3 hours :))

When you cock your wrists and set the club on an angle to swing to the top, you are "setting it" almost vertical. I could do you a photo from the video, but I don't need to.

See if this photo comes out OK. If not, you can probably right click it and open it up separately.

Variousswingplanes.jpg

I know people can do this and still hit it good, but it'll take a long time to groove it and get consistent.

Have a look here a Paul Lawrie.

S2_set_up_swing_2.jpg

or even, one of me.

Driverplanesrange.jpg

I would say you should be looking to flatten it all out a bit really.

I swung the club like you in my early days. I had a lesson once (with a very good teacher) who got me doing the most unusual drill I've ever done.

I found the biggest traffic cone I could find and placed it a foot further away than the ball. I then swung by sitting the club on the traffic cone taking my backswing from there, and then coming down into the ball as normal.

I did this in the garden at least 1,000 times, then tried to swing flatter and more around myself at the range.

Dropped about 10 strokes in as many months following this drill.

Think about it, read about it, give it a try.

Last edited:

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Will do mate, have a lot of time to work on it.
Suprisingly I understood all of that ! Thanks for helping me out, much appreciated.

-Ally

T

thecraw

Will do mate, have a lot of time to work on it.
Suprisingly I understood all of that ! Thanks for helping me out, much appreciated.

-Ally

I'm no expert so you can dismiss this if you like, but try standing a little further away from the ball.