Very angry newbie

1sttimelucky

Hacker
Visit site
We've all been there, 2 in question are probably in office at the club, seriously wouldn't surprise me. Well done for being reasonable in the face of such abuse. In my experience writing to the club will do no good at all especially as you've no witnesses, most clubs look after their own and these 2 will be well connected in the club.
Just be the bigger man, keep your cool and hopefully karma will catch up with these 2.
I would have just jumped holes in your position, not worth the aggro. Defeatist? Yes but experience tells me its not worth the hassle. Golf clubs are not the fair democracies we're led to believe.
Put it behind you and move on.:confused:

I would play quite a bit of golf with members of council through the year , I also represented the club on 6 different teams during the past 2 years so have gotten to know quite a range of the membership and have never came across these 2 idiots before today so am 100% sure they are not part of the establishment.
On reflection feel it's probably best informing the club of what happened to keep myself right if the other 2 decide to make some form of complaint!
Thanks for all the replies folks it's not the most positive thread to open the account with!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive edited your post and put in some paragraphs and altered a couple of "fruity expressions"

Might be worth looking at the forum rules at the top of OOB

Agree with the other comments that these idiots need reporting, but it has to be at the time, after the event is too late really.
Why is it too late ? It only happened today, and the compliant needs to be put in writing to the club.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Apologies for poor grammar should have set it out better for sure!

Forgot to add that when I was walking in I had to go past our 18th where I met another couple of lads I know and told them what had just happened, my other 2 friends appeared into sight on the 8th tee at this stage and were named and shamed to me.

He cant identify the people concerned. he hasnt seen them before, no pictures or names

i rest my case m'lud :)
You were saying :whistle:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
OMG you have to report this late or not you should make it known to the club. You never know they might have "previous" and this could be the last straw. That said, they could be on the board and they could be the very ones to process your complaint. In that case a different approach is needed.

Wait until the club/bar is packed one day and go up to them and embarrass them in front of everybody. Ask again why they didn't let you through and mention the divots they didn't replace, playing from the fairway without a mat, etc.

You've done nothing wrong and they have behaved atrociously. If you did nothing wrong ie like hitting balls up close behind them then you have nothing to worry about.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
This terrible behaviour needs reporting .

Having said that by the third hole I would have skipped ahead away from them and played some extra holes elsewhere to make up holes missed.

1sttimelucky

Hacker
Visit site
Ok, firstly to clarify I am aware of the 2 gents concerned, secondly I could not make the complaint at the time as the office had closed for the day incident took place at approx 5.10.
Feel I dealt with it in correct way at the time, I play golf for fun not to get into rows and fights left that behind me 6 years ago when I retired from playing football but would definitely have taken a red card for such behaviour during my football days lol.
This type of behaviour is definitely not the norm amongst most members so thankfully it hasn't tainted my feelings on the club or golf for that matter.

1sttimelucky

Hacker
Visit site
Depends on club rules. We officially have this rule, although most members would let a player on his own tee off or play through as most are sensible enough to know that he will not be hanging about once done.
Unfortunately it's a club rule at my place that a single player has no standing but I personally would always allow a lone golfer to play through my group think it's just manners and as my grandma use to tell me manners are very easy carried!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, firstly to clarify I am aware of the 2 gents concerned, secondly I could not make the complaint at the time as the office had closed for the day incident took place at approx 5.10.
Feel I dealt with it in correct way at the time, I play golf for fun not to get into rows and fights left that behind me 6 years ago when I retired from playing football but would definitely have taken a red card for such behaviour during my football days lol.
This type of behaviour is definitely not the norm amongst most members so thankfully it hasn't tainted my feelings on the club or golf for that matter.

I take it you are going to complain in writing ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. Put it in writing now that you know their names.

Say you have delayed because you were so irate that you want to settle down first.

Unless club has a 'singles have no status' or 'pairs have right of way' then their 'everybody knows....' is over 6 years out of date - it was changed in 2008.

I have walked through a pair of such idiots in similar circumstances once - never said anything though. and Yes, they were Seniors - as am I!

Welcome aboard btw.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
To the OP:

It is terrible to have to suffer the total lack of etiquette and ignorance that you had to deal with, but even worse is the abusive response when you questioned them. My question however would be as to what could be achieved with a formal complaint?

If you were to complain to the committee this will only result in the offenders being brought in front of the committee to answer and no doubt deny, leading to a slanging match with you against them. This will only have an ending with them and their friends and you/ your friends being at loggerheads and nothing ever really improving. In fact I can only imagine things getting worse.

I don't know what the answer is, but if me I think I could walk into the clubhouse with my head held high from standing up to them and leave it at that. With any luck at some point they may realise their error, and feel embarrassed to the point of an apology.

Whatever happens, don't let it affect your golf! Hope it works out.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the description of the holes and your location I'm going to take a guess you play at Killymoon ;)

Personally I'd make a written complaint to the club and take it from there. While at it I'd also request that the club reconsider the local by law re: the standing of a single player at quiet periods on the course at the very least.

1sttimelucky

Hacker
Visit site
From the description of the holes and your location I'm going to take a guess you play at Killymoon ;)

Personally I'd make a written complaint to the club and take it from there. While at it I'd also request that the club reconsider the local by law re: the standing of a single player at quiet periods on the course at the very least.

Hi there inspector decent enough guess lol what part of Tyrone you from yourself?
Was thinking about that rule and if it could be implemented at certain times and discarded at others it is totally inappropriate on days like today but is probably a sensible rule at busier times!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Omagh myself.

Does sound inappropriate for quiet days and just gives guys like that ammo they shouldn't have. I'm all for that rule being in place for busy days when a course full of four-balls has a single players running through the field.

I would be also willing to bet that the guys you are talking about would also be the vocal ones who complain about divots not being replaced. It's a running theme. The most vocal at my place about the divots etc are never the ones who offer to join divot parties etc.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome get stuck in and enjoy. :)

a sorry affair and all so unnecessary, with you having a single player no standing rule then there is little ground for complaint as unfair as it seems and if there is no one else around i dont see any point in a 2 ball that wants to have a few practice putts etc holding you up, let you through and everyone is happy.
Totally wrong for you to get the verbal abuse and i would get the report in and let the sec deal with it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Really unfortunate situation that the OP had... (& the outsider in me thinks it would be fascinating to hear from the others involved to know how they viewed events)

Not having a go in anyway but... I’d love to know if they thought you were laughing at them on the 3rd temp tee when you were actually laughing to yourself (easy to mix up I guess) and also three holes later when you queried why you weren’t let through sooner, I wonder if they thought that was a touch unnecessary given they might have thought they were quite gracious given the club rule on singles. Who knows, but as I say I think it would be fascinating to know

Re their on course actions its very hard to find an excuse for not replacing divots, very poor behavior along with the extra practice putting while you were waiting (notwithstanding a singles standing)

I don’t really think a formal complaint will get the desired outcome but anyway I just hope there’s no repeat

And totally unrelated but the if the guess at your location is correct it’s a big well done to the greens staff there as it appears to have gone from requiring temp tee’s & mats etc yesterday to Status A today with no course restrictions so at least you can look forward to your next round