Very angry newbie

1sttimelucky

Hacker
Visit site
No problem with that.

However, I'd attempt to avoid the problem altogether, by simply accepting their offer, making no comment on whether it was kind or not, should have happened 2 holes ago or maybe even 5. That's not what I'm on the Golf Course for!

I'd simply play down the hole, thank them (as I really am genuinely grateful) and play on - even though I'd likely be thinking thoughts with multiple expletives!

Back in the Clubhouse would quite possibly be a completely different matter though!

And if (and only if) I was appropriately confident, I'd have rung the Pro Shop/Secretary or whoever - apologising for/explaining the use of a mobile - to get a 'proper authority' to sort them out!

Is it not better to politely ask at the time when incident is relevant rather than wait until afterwards in clubhouse when it's not really an issue anymore?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it not better to politely ask at the time when incident is relevant rather than wait until afterwards in clubhouse when it's not really an issue anymore?

Anyhow we are having a GM meet in July in Cavan /Monaghan ( see the arrange a game section ) loadsa drink , loadsa golf (on each hole) & loadsa fun,
will reinstate your belief in golfers (maybe not ;))

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely on an empty course a two ball will always feel pressured by a single player behind them?? Call single player through at first opportunity problem solved, two ball not feeling pressured single player not unduly getting delayed everyone happy!!!

You would think so wouldn't you!

But, given that club's policy, some 2-Balls seem/are likely to think they have the right - indeed obligation - to hold the Single up.

And some Singles can be a bit too pushy as well.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

So they've invited you through. Success! Grab the chance and run!

What does it achieve, except the possibility of getting their backs up - which you experienced - to ask why they didn't do so earlier? If you really feel vindictive and want to upset them as much as they have you, then asking after you've teed off, collected your bag and are about to walk down the fairway in front of them would seem the 'best' time! But there's no need to do it at all!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Totally agree there is always two sides to every story but I'm 100% sure regarding the laugh as it was one of those you do internally I didn't laugh in their faces as they walked past. I play of a low category 1 handicap but play with a 22 handicapper in my regular fourball so never judge anyone let alone laugh at someone, would not like to tee off in front of a scratch or plus handicapper and for them to laugh at me, I'm a firm believer in no matter how good you think you are always remember there is someone better.

On them being gracious and eventually calling me through despite our club rule regarding single players, as I stated in previous post I think the rule is good at certain times such as busy weekends and silly at quieter weekday periods such as yesterday. I know it can't be enforced in such a way it's either the rule or it's not but I feel it's more an etiquette thing and just manners to always call a faster group through even if it's a single, personally it's how I always operate.

Course status has no bearing on winter rules regarding playing from fairways without mats or playing from main tee boxes which are closed,they don't even have tee markers set out on them. These 2 gents were happy to enforce the single player rule but break other rules regarding where they played from!!

I'm making a complaint to ensure the club know what happened so if the other 2 decide to do likewise they have both versions. Think they should be spoke to regarding playing of fairways, main tee boxes not replacing divots and practicing on the course (another rule at our club no practicing on the course at anytime ie multiple balls in play or multiple putts after holing out) don't see why they should have better playing conditions during winter months than the rest of membership.

I get that you didn’t knowingly cause the end result and I’m pretty sure the pair were predominantly at fault through the 6 holes but in your own post it was only moments after you started to “boil up with rage” that you were invited to play through and accepted the invite with the question “can I ask why use didn't just wave me through 5 holes back?...”

Of course there are many ways you can ask the above and this may tell us nothing at all about how things worked out but can’t help wondering if it contributed to the reaction you got

Obviously it doesn’t take away or lessen any of the criticism the pair are rightly getting on here but friction, by definition, needs two sides

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
While not disagreeing with anything the original poster says, sounds horrendous - is it just me that this sort of thing never happens to? - or is it a regional thing?

I went out yesterday for nine holes - As I approached the first tee i saw there were four older ladies who had just teed off - they played their second shots from maybe 80-100 yards from the tee and I thought to myself "This is going to take a while" - Once they'd putted out - maybe 15 minutes later I teed off, knocked it on the green and two putted - They had just finished teeing off and were walking to their balls.

With nobody behind me I thought "I might as well hit some practice putts I'm going nowhere here" - hit a couple of putts and looked up to see them waving me through - that's typical of what happens to me - always has been.

I can't remember ever having played behind golfers (as opposed to pub outings) who have displayed any of the characteristics which regularly get posted here.

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Its easy to say but i would have asked on the 3rd tee if i could play through. Also would have left the course after the incident and went straight to the secretary and got it sorted there and then. These 2 have no place in a golf club.