Utility/Hybrid distances

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've finally ordered a hybrid.... MD EQL 3/21 degrees with grafalloy blue prolaunch. :)
I wondered if anyone had experience of this type of club differing in distance to the corresponding iron?
Mis-hits aside, is it likely that a player might get a little more/less distance, or does a different trajectory play havoc with the equation?

I was thinking I might be able to ditch my 3 and 2 iron with the one club (I wouldn't use either off the fairway anyway) and how do the lower loft ones (21 and under) fair from the fluffy rough.

Hoping it could be a real bonus, and make way to re-introduce a 3rd wedge maybe?

Dave

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I replaced my 5 wood and 3 iron with a Nike 2-iron slingshot utility. I find that I can hit it a range of distances from about 180-210. I'm actually thinking of ditching the 4 iron too now!

Definitely gives you more options than the long iron, where your just hoping for a decent strike!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Realgolferuk, do it get rid of the irons you cant hit!, i started of playing with a 9,7,5,3 and 1 wood in the bag. Im now playing with 5-pw irons, 1 rescue club, 3 wedges, 5 and 3 wood, driver and putter.
When i started playing i had a moan on the forum about people taking the piss of my 7 and 9 wood, all the replies came back telling me to just play with what im comfortable with and to not become influenced by fashions or peoples opinions.
You should be able to ditch your 2 + 3 iron no probs with the utility, and if your not even using them of the fairway, whats the point in lugging them around?

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I ditched my 3 iron when ordering new irons. Picked up the Cobra Baffler DWS, can't rate it highly enough. Its a 3-R with adila stiff shaft and I use it for about 230-245. Its been such a revelation in distance that i dont play a 5 wood. Just driver, 3 wood and the rescue club.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is all good news....if stevelockie has found that an H/3 covers both 3 iron and 5 wood, it would seem to make sense that my idea to replace 3 and 2 might well be possible (since 2 iron is similar in distance to 5 wood).
I could conceivably see the back of my 3, 2 and 5w in one club!!! that would be good. I can hit my long irons quite well (I even have a 1 iron), but it always seems a shame to carry a club or two for specific tee shots. I wouldn't use any off the deck, apart from my 5 wood.
Incidentaly htl, I have been using a 9 wood, as a compromise club when I don't feel I have the lie for a 3 iron or 5 wood. It goes the distance of a nice 4 iron, which for me holds no embarrasment on a par 5 or long (3.b.j.) par 4. I've made some great pars and the odd birdie using driver - 9wood - pitch, you are in good company.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I ditched my 3 iron when ordering new irons. Picked up the Cobra Baffler DWS, can't rate it highly enough. Its a 3-R with adila stiff shaft and I use it for about 230-245. Its been such a revelation in distance that i dont play a 5 wood. Just driver, 3 wood and the rescue club.

Yes, that's it...this is what I'm considering!
Ideally, I'd like to cut down on clubs (keep it simple) and try something like driver/3 wood/3 rescue/4-PW. If the Hybrid goes about 190-200, it could really happen.

Do you use it out of the fluffy grass?

Dave

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not completely on topuc but thought id have a mini rant. I think having one in the bag is fine, Ive found a few fellas playing with 3 and 4 utility clubs and have ditched from the 6 iron up, to me that says they cant hit irons and should really concentrate in getting those clubs back into their bag. One fella in particular cannot hit an iron more than 150 yards, the hybrid/utility clubs come out for anything over that.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I have said on many a post, I have the Ben Hogan Apex 3&4 hybrid/rescue and I love them. I have had a few 200 yard shots onto rather firm greens but after using the rescue club the ball comes down like a butterfly with blisters.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dave I would say you would have no problem getting 190-200 out of a 3-R Baffler. THey really do fly off the face.

Only thing was, at the time I picked mine up (3ish months ago) the DWS Baffler was new and it was a nightmare getting them.
I'd imagine it should be much easier to pick them up now.

At time only place I could get the 20 degree stiff 3-R was http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk. Done me a nice deal on price, seem competitive anyways, and delivery service was spot on.

Ordered club on Wednesday lunch time and was with me for Friday morning with nothing extra to pay for the shipping.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
You rant away, brendy. :)

After today's efforts, the 4 iron is staying in the bag (hit both par 3 greens) and the utility will replace the 2 and 3. I've been tending to use the 2 off the tee when straightness is paramount, in preference to the 3. It's a me thing. But carrying two is hopeless when I don't use them off the fairway. I can see the attraction of having 3 or 4 of the things, I guess, but it's a bit daft, I agree.

I'm simply after something more than a lay-up choice. The players who are filling their bags with stuff are mostly a bit rubbish. And as for spending £120 or something each, then on 3 or 4, well it's silly.

Dave

redmike

Assistant Pro
Visit site

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is a good price!

There are so many online dealers....there are some great buys if you look around.

I'm starting off with cheap and cheerful, as long as they have good shafts!!

I'll report back on the MD EQL......

Dave

Down_The_Middle

Head Pro
Visit site
I carry progens 2,3,4,5 utility clubs in my bag. Paid £25 for each and they are spot on .I can hit the long irons but these are easier I find.If it helps my game thats good enough for me.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, and you've done the sensible thing....to buy some that are no more expensive than irons :)

I don't know how much my irons were (since they're 18!) but at £25-50 a pop it's hardly wasting money. But some of these are almost as much as drivers.... :D

How do you find the lower numbered ones out of the light rough?

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being a new starter I bought a package from driver down. It only had 5-SW plus a Hybrid 4, so I have never even it a 2-4 iron.
I've added a 17/2 (Ben Sayers M1 - £25) and 25/4 (Bayhill £40 - heavier than the original MX7). When I hit them well (and bad shots are down to me not the clubs) both are good out of light rough; between them 170 - 220 (rarely I admit).
The only drawback is that through ignorance, the shafts are quite different. Though both 'R', the Bayhill is much the stiffer.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to say that I am a little confused as to how hybrids have become so expensive. Even as little as a year ago most seemed to cost £60-£90 (or at least the ones I was considering were) but now they seem to cost about the same as a fairway wood (£100-£130). Was looking for a 4i replacement but was unwilling to pay such prices.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have since been back to Orka as was happy with the driver and they sold me one fitted for £69.00. First outing with it was pretty successful so it would seem that their kit suits me.