Used car prices

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Yes NEW sales but as that article stats used sales are up 91%

So a 1% drop in new was it? Think on balance they on the rise

I'd imagine quite a bit of this is that there will be a huge amount more used EVs on the market now compared to this time even a couple of years ago, as leases and PCPs on the first big uptake of EVs come to an end. I would expect the number to continue to rise over the next 5 years or so before plateauing somewhat.

For what it's worth I'd probably get an EV for our next runaround car. Either that or something fun given it'll be mainly used by me for one or two 35 minute commutes a week and nipping about. The big car will have to stay as an oil burner until prices drop and we can afford to replace it with an EV big enough.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine quite a bit of this is that there will be a huge amount more used EVs on the market now compared to this time even a couple of years ago, as leases and PCPs on the first big uptake of EVs come to an end. I would expect the number to continue to rise over the next 5 years or so before plateauing somewhat.

For what it's worth I'd probably get an EV for our next runaround car. Either that or something fun given it'll be mainly used by me for one or two 35 minute commutes a week and nipping about. The big car will have to stay as an oil burner until prices drop and we can afford to replace it with an EV big enough.

I going to stop the EV talk now because I dominate the EV thread enough, however I've just gone to 2 EVs now and got a nice balance.

Used car prices are very interesting, on both sides for sure

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand your internal bias on this, we all have them. But there needs to be some balance to this contextless post.

This is worded to imply that consumer choice is driving EV and Hybrid sales up, petrol down and Diesel towards the door. Whilst this will play a part, the reality is that the manufacturers are driving this consumer behavior by only selling configurations in that very order, oddly enough.
...I saw a presentation in work (Motor Manufacturer) the other day that highlighted the penalties that manufacturers will face in the future, if they do not hit specific targets of X% of new sales being EV/Hybrid vehicles.

The value of the penalties were such that it was pointed out the if the target is not being met then a manufacturer may simply refuse to offer to sell an ICE vehicle, even if that is what the customer who has "walked through the door" wants to buy.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...I saw a presentation in work (Motor Manufacturer) the other day that highlighted the penalties that manufacturers will face in the future, if they do not hit specific targets of X% of new sales being EV/Hybrid vehicles.

The value of the penalties were such that it was pointed out the if the target is not being met then a manufacturer may simply refuse to offer to sell an ICE vehicle, even if that is what the customer who has "walked through the door" wants to buy.

I saw the same and the working theory was manufacturers may pre reg a load of EVs then sell them off at a loss to avoid fines