US Open 2024

D

Deleted member 29109

For all the talk of Rory choking (he didn’t) Bryson hit great shot on the last. But people are missing that he was choking hard until that point, and was very lucky with lies in the waste area many times on the back 9 and Rory missing those putts. Ultimately he got over the line with that bunker shot.

simsini

Visit site
Rory leaving straight away yesterday, while Bryson stayed when he came second at the PGA and congratulated Schauffele, says everything to me.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I’ve never commented on the LIV thread, first comment on here, but I can’t lie, I’m almost shocked at the tribalism some of you have.

Why can’t we just celebrate it as a fantastic 4 days of Golf were the guy with the lowest score won, rightly so.

The final 2 hours was full of twist and turns, but I genuinely believe some of you are “glossing” over the facts.

The leader after day 3 nearly blew it, he was over Par for his final round, only 1 player from the chasing pack took it to the final hole.

What about all the others, Cantalay, Pavon etc, who actually had a chance to catch or even match the winning score.

DBC, brilliant to watch, McIlroy, brilliant to watch.

Looking forward to them both being in contention in future Majors.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Not sure why after major events there seems to be the desire to point fingers and find something to be critical about instead of looking at the great stuff that happened

The course was great - thought a few holes were a bit silly when it come to the green

Rory - started 3 back got a few slices or poor luck early but the middle stretch of holes he was superb

Not sure if he went too defensive or too aggressive but he played superb

And whilst it’s going to be heart break for him it’s also huge for his mental strength- he has shown before he can bounce back and I have sneaky suspicion he will bounce back again

BDC - whilst that’s prob the worst driving display seen in a final round of a major his iron play was outstanding, think he only hit 3 fairways and two of those were a bounce out of the rubbish - they mentioned about a cracked face ?

Into the par 3’s towards the end he was excellent and then the 18th - another poor drive were he managed to get to the ball again but that bunker shot - that’s up with some of the best shots seen in a major , unbelievable how hard that is and how easy he seemed to make

I know there is a lot of talk about his personality and the PR drive but I was massively impressed with the way he conducted himself on 18 Green when Pavon was just inside him and the crowd ( the idiots came out yesterday ) were baying for Pavon to go first to give him the line - huge respect for what BDC did

Overall it was a great major and we had two of the best in the world going at it - fine margins meant BDC got over the line and he deserved it - looking forward to Troon now where it has the potential to be great

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Obviously a lot of interviews and clips to catch up on this morning but this has to be one worth watching.

This is so good!

I don't understand people revelling in Rory's disappointment or the subsequent anger at him skipping his media duties, as someone said earlier, he's a human being just like you and I, life is hard enough at times as it is, why can't we be kinder to one another?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory leaving straight away yesterday, while Bryson stayed when he came second at the PGA and congratulated Schauffele, says everything to me.

I think you need to consider the context between the two situations.

For all we know, Rory could have made contact with Bryson soon after the finish and congratulated him personally, maybe he didn’t. We might never know.

One thing for sure, it was a great tournament. I don’t think I’ve ever been so invested in a final round before.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

It’s two massively different situations

But that’s typical of what you see all over Twitter today

BDC was coming from behind and just fell short due to Schaffle

Rory was ahead and dropped shots

The emotions between the two situations would be hugely different - not sure why there needs to be this need to stick the knife into Rory just for leaving after he had lost the US Open

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For all the talk of Rory choking (he didn’t) Bryson hit great shot on the last. But people are missing that he was choking hard until that point, and was very lucky with lies in the waste area many times on the back 9 and Rory missing those putts. Ultimately he got over the line with that bunker shot.
That's fair, Bryson was threatening to bottle it with his poor driving and had a silly three-putt of his own that put it right in Rory's hands. Rory just subsequently bottled it even worse. He outbottled him. 😄

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This is so good!

I don't understand people revelling in Rory's disappointment or the subsequent anger at him skipping his media duties, as someone said earlier, he's a human being just like you and I, life is hard enough at times as it is, why can't we be kinder to one another?

The guy was ridiculously close to what is becoming an elusive additional major for him. He’s bound to be frustrated and totally get why he made a quick exit.
That said, id have liked to have seen him congratulate Bryson, as BDC did with Schaufale a few weeks back.
But, when he had it in hos grasp, yeah, he will be angry with himself for letting that one go. 👍

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot of focus on the last round and rightly so, but for me it’s won over 4 days, if we analysed each round from these players, there’s probably other mistakes that have also contributed to the final outcome.
Rory’s biggest mistake was the 7 iron into the par 3, thats were a ‘maybe’ a stronger caddy would have helped.
Bryson is absolutely world class as well though and thoroughly deserved it with his play over the 4 days.
That bunker shot though 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To me it smacks a little of a tantrum, which is understandable with everything that went on, but I think it would have been "professional" to have hung around to congratulate BDC properly. Hard to be too hard on someone that has seen a glorious opportunity in a diminishing number of opportunities to win the US Open but sometimes you need to respectful of the winner

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
A lot of focus on the last round and rightly so, but for me it’s won over 4 days, if we analysed each round from these players, there’s probably other mistakes that have also contributed to the final outcome.
Rory’s biggest mistake was the 7 iron into the par 3, thats were a ‘maybe’ a stronger caddy would have helped.
Bryson is absolutely world class as well though and thoroughly deserved it with his play over the 4 days.
That bunker shot though 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Always lots of maybes and ifs when it comes to majors and there is lots of fine margins between winning and losing

That bunker shot was world class though and that’s what won the major for BDC - it was unbelievable how well he hit that and that should be the focus

Springveldt

Visit site
And Bryson was??
Nope, Bryson hit some great iron shots coming down the stretch and gave himself some real good birdie looks. His irons into both 16 and 17 were brilliant and the bunker shot on 18 was unbelievable.

Rory birdied 13 to go 2 clear and then only hit 1 GIR (and he 3 putted) meanwhile the only GIR Bryson didn't hit in the last 5 was the 18th due to that massive tree root he was up against.

Sure Bryson drove the ball terribly all day and got really lucky with nearly all of his lies in the cabbage but his iron play was phenomenal while Rory's deserted him over the last 5 holes.

Hope I'm completely wrong and Rory bounces back stronger from this but that's now the Open, and twice in the US Open in the last couple of years he's had real shots at winning them and not managed to get over the line, that's got to do some psychological damage.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
BDC is a worthy winner, but I am gutted about Rory. Dropped 2 shots in the last 4 holes on Saturday and another 3 over the same stretch on Sunday (5 total); but he was twitchy with the tee shots and putts at the end - I honestly thought when BDC bogeyed 15th Rory would play safely and see it out. Will be interesting to see if he plays the Travelers, fingers crossed we get a post-masters collapse response and he kicks on to another level.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Remember when the PGAT decided Bryson wasn’t deserving of his Player Impact Programme payment?

With the benefit of hindsight- he’s a huge loss to the PGAT right now, I’d imagine there’s some intense focus on the merger agreement and getting BDC and a few other LIV players back representing the PGAT business in somme form.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Remember when the PGAT decided Bryson wasn’t deserving of his Player Impact Programme payment?

With the benefit of hindsight- he’s a huge loss to the PGAT right now, I’d imagine there’s some intense focus on the merger agreement and getting BDC and a few other LIV players back representing the PGAT business in somme form.
This is nothing to do with LIV and if you have anything to say on the merger agreement it is better served on the LIV thread.

D

Deleted member 29109

Do you need to turn every discussion into this crap?