US Open 2024

Golfnut1957

Visit site
C’mon, I’ve been his biggest cheerleader over the years but Bryson didn’t cause him to miss 2 putts from within 3 foot in the last 2 holes, a distance he hasn’t missed from all season.

There is every right for the talk about bottle to start because that’s precisely what it was. He was all over the place for the last 5 holes, he was scrambling on every single one and never gave himself a birdie look on any of them. He dropped 3 shots in the final 5 holes to lose by 1.
And Bryson was??

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from the final two days. Brilliant entertainment for the last round, Pinehurst No2 was a superb venue, a different test than the usual US Open course, with the greens providing the main defence.

There was incredible support from the crowd for both Bryson and Rory, with Rory probably slightly more the crowd favourite.

Bryson rode his luck and drove poorly overall in the final round without getting a single bad lie. Rory was lucky to get away with just a bogey on 15, anywhere except long would have been fine! Sadly, then missing two short putts cost him.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Poor showing from Rory not fronting up and I’m his biggest cheer leader

I don’t think he wins another major now unless he is somehow out of sight at a PGA or something.

Them short putts will leave massive scar tissue

The bunker shot from Bryson was superb he was in a spin and then Rory missed a 2ft putt

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thrilling final round. Good t see Rory manage 4 decent rounds and not have the one "off" round that has plagued some majors. Would have been a very interesting play-off had the putt gone in. Personally I was a little disappointed that McIlroy simply drove off and didn't fulfil his media obligations. Is it like the PL and would there be any sort of fine attached to that

TigerTime

Visit site
No question about it, completely bottled it. Those last few holes, whilst obviously tough holes were a disgrace. Club choice on 15, the two missed gimme putts. Really poor stuff. That one will haunt him for the rest of his career.

First of all, his caddie. I don't know whether he is allowed to or not but, the club choices on 15 and 18. Surely that is the time for him to step in and say something. He did not need to hit driver on 18, not when he pumps his 3 wood 290, usually dead straight. Rory likes to hit high, hard short irons, why on earth did he go for a 7. The caddie has to go, and Rory needs to swallow his ego and get someone in that might make him feel a little uncomfortable but not afraid to step up when needed.

Secondly, the two putts. Just shocking stuff.

Thirdly, disappearing afterwards. He is well within his rights to do that. I'm sure he will congratulate Bryson in the coming days if he hasn't already. 10 years without a major and having multiple of them in the palm of his hands and bottling it. Mentally he must be completely broken. We need to remember that these guys are human too, especially after recent happenings. If he needed some space to process what had just happened then good on him.

Bryson, one lucky guy. 4 fairways hit was it? I only recall him chopping sideways once. Luckiest boy on the planet. The golfing gods were definitely on his side yesterday. He played some unreal golf over the last 4 days, and of course deserves the win, so fair play to him for that. However all this fun and niceness and content chasing on camera, it's a bit too fake for me. His PR team are certainly doing their job. The sad thing is people will buy it.

Rory's caddie, Rory missing two short putts, Bryson being lucky yesterday but playing well overall. All these things can be true at the same time.