Up and Down from off the green.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year I am working on getting up and down better. I'm probably the worst chipper I know around my handicap.

I want to set myself a target, what sort of percentage of getting up and down successfully (a chip and a putt) do you think I should be striving for?

40%? 60%? higher?

Do any of you record this? and whats your hcap and percentage? and are you happy with it?

Ta.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a ten handicapper i would be looking for over 50%.
This is something ive been working really hard on lately.
I think using the right club for the job is parramount.
I see you have a 52 and 58 the same as me.
I will use the 58 if im in a fluffy lie near the green,but a bare lie its a complete
no no.
Use a club that will get the ball rolling as soon as you can.
The key is practice,and finding out how much the ball will run after its pitched.
Also the difference in roll between a down hill lie and a uphill lie.
Then once you have those distances,commit to the shot,many duffs
are caused by quitting on the shot.
Most times when it fails for me is the lack of commitment,get it in your mind
that your paying the right club and shot.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What's your present level, that should be the baseline for you to set improvements.

When I was at Uni I had access to average stats for handicaps for all those kind of things (GIR, fairways...). I don't anymore and can't remember them off the top off my head. You can access tour player stats easy enough so aiming that high may give you the ceiling percentage.

It's possible Pelz has those figures (though I don't recall seeing them) in his short game bible which used to be available for a free download online and may well still be if you google it.

Do any of your handicap peers know their own stats? Could you find out from them? Do you know someone who has a short game you think you'd like and could achieve who knows their stats?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use SS2 to record my stats, and off the top of my head I think the scrambling target for my handicap is around 35%.
That though is making par when GIR isn't hit so will include any 3 off the tees and chipping out sideways.

I think a decent figure purely from around the green is 1 in 2.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Following on from the point about getting the ball on the putting surface ASAP and rolling rather than flying...

A useful tip is to to know the ratio of carry vs roll you will get when chipping with different clubs.

I think (but could be corrected) that a 7/8 iron will carry 1/3 distance then roll the other 2/3, a PW will carry 1/2 and roll 1/2 and a SW will carry 3/4 then roll out the last 1/4.

All those ratios obviously depend on lofts, ball choice, spin you generate, green firmness etc, but it is worth doing a similar calcualtion for your own clubs.

From that set of guidelines, you can pick a spot between you and the hole where you want the ball to land and then run out to the hole. Club choice is simply the one that will suit that landing spot and amount of green you have to roll out to the hole.

As for how many up and downs you should make... 66% would put you in the top 20 scramblers on the European Tour at present, so that may be a bit high. 50% would be 130th in the tour stats, and 33% would put you down towards 200 and the worst on tour. So 50% it not too shabby really, albeit they play with thick rough around quick greens ....

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I reckon I get up and down 25-30% such is the fragility of my chipping. Typically I leave myself too much to do with the chip and very rarely leave myself a tap in.

So based on the thoughts so far 50% is a decent return so I will strive to achieve that standard.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It might sound a little backwards but work on your short putts too. It makes the chip so much easier if you're confident of making a 4 footer if that's where you leave it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks for all the feedback. I reckon I get up and down 25-30% such is the fragility of my chipping. Typically I leave myself too much to do with the chip and very rarely leave myself a tap in.

So based on the thoughts so far 50% is a decent return so I will strive to achieve that standard.

I would start by simply practicing your chipping.... and count the footage you leave when you play.. not whether you get up and down or not as that involves your putt. Best to try and just put every chip ON the green to start and try to eliminate fiddly chips or duffs... just find the putting surface.. middle of the green is rarely that far from the hole.