Utility companies , Getting credit back

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Checking my Parents BG account , I see that they are now nearly a grand in credit.

This has arisen as they had run up a smallish deficit and BG increased their DD from around £120 to nearly £300.

There is no way on the online account to adjust the DD downwards, so how the hell do you arrange to lower their monthly payment and run down the credit ?

I havent got POA so BG wont talk to me and my parents arent able to do this sort of thing themselves.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ring up, pretend to be your father 🤷‍♂️. How are they going to know otherwise?

Not ideal but these companies are deliberately awkward regarding certain matters, you just have to play them at their own game.

RichA

Visit site
Ring up, pretend to be your father 🤷‍♂️. How are they going to know otherwise?

Not ideal but these companies are deliberately awkward regarding certain matters, you just have to play them at their own game.
Sadly, this is the least painful way. I've tried to do utilities and banking over the phone just facilitating Dad talking to them and we get accused of fraud as I need to help him with the answers and they don't like it. If I just pretended to be him it would be easier. More difficult when it's my MiL.
If you can get through the security while you're with them, they should add you as an approved user for when you aren't with them.
If you want the credit back they have to do it, but you'll probably need to have your parents banking details to hand.
We have POA for Dad and MiL and it's a personal irritation that most banks and utilities make it almost impossible for the elderly on the phone and equally difficult for a facilitating POA.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Checking my Parents BG account , I see that they are now nearly a grand in credit.

This has arisen as they had run up a smallish deficit and BG increased their DD from around £120 to nearly £300.

There is no way on the online account to adjust the DD downwards, so how the hell do you arrange to lower their monthly payment and run down the credit ?

I havent got POA so BG wont talk to me and my parents arent able to do this sort of thing themselves.
Not with BG anymore. Disgusting that they have taken that option away!

Alan Clifford

Visit site
J

Just found this: https://www.directdebit.co.uk/help/cancelling-a-direct-debit/

It seems you can stop a direct debit.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As previously mentioned, you should be able to add yourself to the account as an authorised person, certainly can with Scottish Power.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Three options that I can see;

1. Get your dad to phone them while you are there and get him to tell BG that they can talk to you about the account, then demand the credit balance to be repaid.

2. Cancel the direct debit. A grand in credit should last them a few months and they can set up a new direct debit once the credit has been run down.

3. Switch providers as suggested above and then ask for the credit balance to be refunded, I'd agree with going with Octopus. Mrs Colch has access to her parents Octopus account as well as my dad and step mum's account so that she can make changes for them as necessary.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Three options that I can see;

1. Get your dad to phone them while you are there and get him to tell BG that they can talk to you about the account, then demand the credit balance to be repaid.

2. Cancel the direct debit. A grand in credit should last them a few months and they can set up a new direct debit once the credit has been run down.

3. Switch providers as suggested above and then ask for the credit balance to be refunded, I'd agree with going with Octopus. Mrs Colch has access to her parents Octopus account as well as my dad and step mum's account so that she can make changes for them as necessary.

Also if you ask someone who's on Octopus for their referal code (not saying me there are plenty of us on here) £50 credit each so you get rid of awful British gas

Make £50 extra

And get your money back

Win win win

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you need to supply meter readings to switch ?
Apparently the display in their meter is bust.
He did try and report it but they wanted the meters serial number, which I believe is in the display 🤯

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you need to supply meter readings to switch ?
Apparently the display in their meter is bust.
He did try and report it but they wanted the meters serial number, which I believe is in the display 🤯

Meter serial numbers appear on your bill at the top

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Get on to your parents' bank account and change the Direct Debit.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get on to your parents' bank account and change the Direct Debit.

Bank can only cancel a Direct Debit mandate. They can’t change payment amounts, thats reserved for standing orders.

My dad is similar in that he can’t deal with Ovo as he gets confused so I just phone and say I’m him, as long as I pass verification they can’t prove that I’m not him.