Unwelcome visitors

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played in an Open comp at a nearby golf club on Friday, on arrival there was a small group of "travellers" in the car park who we learned had turned up on Thursday night. After we had finished our round they had left, leaving an almighty mess for a one night stop. Yesterday the exact same group appeared in our club car park, coincidence or is it a ploy to extort money from golf clubs, pay us ££ and we'll leave?
Anybody else had this at their club?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
No, but why would you pay them to leave? It's a private car park and they have no right to be there. The golf club could just call the police, if they refuse to leave.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, but why would you pay them to leave? It's a private car park and they have no right to be there. The golf club could just call the police, if they refuse to leave.

its not that easy, As far as I know trespass is a civil offence, so you have to take out a court order and its not that easy to enforce if they don't want to go.
My knowledge might be out of date though and I am sure someone will post the correct thing if I am wrong.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
its not that easy, As far as I know trespass is a civil offence, so you have to take out a court order and its not that easy to enforce if they don't want to go.
My knowledge might be out of date though and I am sure someone will post the correct thing if I am wrong.

I'm sure you're right in England. I think it's a criminal offence in Ireland and it makes it so much easier to get them off the sites

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

That sounded about right to me but apparently the police can now act according to this;

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/sites_for_gypsies_and_travellers/eviction_from_private_land

No shortage of ads for people willing to help you remove them, for a fee of course, on a Google search. Apparently a growing business.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yip, we had them on site at work. Took almost 3/4 weeks through the legal system and cost us a decent amount of money to clear the mess that they left.

Sorry to hear they they are on your golf club, and that they are looking to extort money out of you to leave. I hope that no damage is done to your club/course.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm only speculating that they are after money to leave but it seems strange that they seem to be going from golf club to golf club. So far no damage or thefts that I know about but they've only been there since yesterday afternoon.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yip, we had them on site at work. Took almost 3/4 weeks through the legal system and cost us a decent amount of money to clear the mess that they left.

Sorry to hear they they are on your golf club, and that they are looking to extort money out of you to leave. I hope that no damage is done to your club/course.

I've a customer round the corner from your work Andy and they had the same problem.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've a customer round the corner from your work Andy and they had the same problem.

It was bad mate. Dogs chasing and snapping at people who rode their bikes to work, kids throwing stones at xars as you drove past. Often they would stand in the middle of the driveway and you had to drive around them. The 'head guy' then met with our Op's manager and told him that he had to tell us to slow down as we were driving out because their kids were playing and it was dangerous.

We could not and would not have give them a bung to leave and did it the lawful way (being a big American company etc) but it was a bad few weeks.

As for the mountains of rubble, waste, and human waste they left.....like i said, cost us a bomb to have it removed from the grounds .

The rumour was that a private firm down the road moved them on fairly swiftly. Not by paying them off but by threatening to burn one of the vans down the first evening they stayed. Whether their is any truth un that i dont know but they were their less than 24 hours!

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well they packed up and left today after it became clear to them that the club were going down the court order route and they wouldn't get any money. Awful, awful mess left behind though, absolutely disgusting.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For a few years on the trot we had them turn up near work.

When they arrived myself and security watched them on the cctv setup, they had most of the cars away and washing hung up in under fifteen minutes.

The building is at the end of a dead end, a number of people attending site had issues with children throwing rocks at cars, and the ladies set up deckchairs in the road

Police would do nothing as business park classed as private land, legal system was used but took around two weeks to move them on.

Not one of them had a car (well nearly all 4X4's) over three years old and the caravans quite new, sadly you have to wonder sometimes who the mugs are.