Course Marshall

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
when we play it its normally 9 holes so -2 for 9 holes and its a scratch format .. no handicap adjustment

D

Deleted member 15344

when we play it its normally 9 holes so -2 for 9 holes and its a scratch format .. no handicap adjustment
If 9 holes then I would expect 6 under to win minimum- we have a a 9 hole each year during a Society day and if you don’t get at least 5 under you aren’t in the prizes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think the marshal and the tone set were definitely not the warmest I've heard about and I'd have asked the question and also asked for feedback as to why the members weren't treated equally and asked to speed up. That said scramble is a slow format. Perhaps there needed to be a dialogue both ways before anyone went out

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Think the marshal and the tone set were definitely not the warmest I've heard about and I'd have asked the question and also asked for feedback as to why the members weren't treated equally and asked to speed up. That said scramble is a slow format. Perhaps there needed to be a dialogue both ways before anyone went out

You'd have asked for feedback! This isn't some kind of pace of play performance review the Marshal is giving you for goodness sake

A course appointed official has asked you to pick up the pace, so they've either seen something specific to your group (however isolated) or they're just giving random groups/the field a general chivy-up (maybe because of factors you have no knowledge of) so you say thanks and try to pick up the pace, end of story

They are not there to 'discuss your pace' with you or listen to you explain how you've been waiting all day until you lost a ball on the last hole etc

As for trying to get into a chat about why x group isn't being spoken to, well that'll get you nowhere (you're now trying to tell them they're doing a poor job) and only demonstrates to the marshal how easily you are distracted from playing golf to your full pace

As I said earlier I can't always follow my own advice and sometime a remark or comment to explain will fly back, but that doesn't mean I did the right thing, but when not on the course & typing onto a forum then why not just give the correct response

D

Deleted member 21258

A course appointed official has asked you to pick up the pace, so they've either seen something specific to your group (however isolated) or they're just giving random groups/the field a general chivy-up (maybe because of factors you have no knowledge of) so you say thanks and try to pick up the pace, end of story

They are not there to 'discuss your pace' with you or listen to you explain how you've been waiting all day until you lost a ball on the last hole etc

But should she have even asked us to picked up the pace, if she was doing the job properly, that was really my question ?

We had lost 0.5-0.75 of a hole as the 3 ball in front of us had buggies and we were walking and they had an open golf course (members going off the 10th) to rip though at very fast pace.

I just can not believe that she thought(probably didn't even realise if I was guessing, so not doing the job), at that stage 1hr 10 minutes for 7 holes was not an adequate pace and that she told us to speed up. Crazy, with all her driving around us and the pace comment, it really did put my back up and then for her to make a point to have another chat with our whole group at lunchtime to tell us to speed up even though we were all round in less than 4 hours and to tell us texas is slow, just wound me up more to be honest. :oops:

However I try to take a step back, hence my question originally to see what peoples views were.

The morning game was individual stableford and afternoon was texas.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But should she have even asked us to picked up the pace, if she was doing the job properly, that was really my question ?

We had lost 0.5-0.75 of a hole as the 3 ball in front of us had buggies and we were walking and they had an open golf course (members going off the 10th) to rip though at very fast pace.

I just can not believe that she thought(probably didn't even realise if I was guessing, so not doing the job), at that stage 1hr 10 minutes for 7 holes was not an adequate pace and that she told us to speed up. Crazy, with all her driving around us and the pace comment, it really did put my back up and then for her to make a point to have another chat with our whole group at lunchtime to tell us to speed up even though we were all round in less than 4 hours and to tell us texas is slow, just wound me up more to be honest. :oops:

However I try to take a step back, hence my question originally to see what peoples views were.

You're right in that she could very well be just poor at her job that day and made a wrong decision and as I say I've done it myself when, from my perspective, I didn't think a 'hurry-up' was justified. End result though... I'm never going to be able to get her to retract it in real-time and I'm the one that suffers because if I let it get to me it will probably (& has) effect my game by playing poorly for a couple of holes at least

Just something to bring up with your event organizer for them to 'feedback' to the club along with any other +/- from the day

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'd have asked for feedback! This isn't some kind of pace of play performance review the Marshal is giving you for goodness sake

As for trying to get into a chat about why x group isn't being spoken to, well that'll get you nowhere (you're now trying to tell them they're doing a poor job) and only demonstrates to the marshal how easily you are distracted from playing golf to your full pace

As I said earlier I can't always follow my own advice and sometime a remark or comment to explain will fly back, but that doesn't mean I did the right thing, but when not on the course & typing onto a forum then why not just give the correct response
I don't agree with that at all. If someone tells me to speed up and I know full well I'm already ahead of time, why would I thank them for that and tell them I'll speed up even more?? Daft. I wouldn't be rude to them but I wouldn't see any fault in pointing out we're not actually behind schedule at all. If you thank them you're accepting that you've played slowly when you haven't!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't agree with that at all. If someone tells me to speed up and I know full well I'm already ahead of time, why would I thank them for that and tell them I'll speed up even more?? Daft. I wouldn't be rude to them but I wouldn't see any fault in pointing out we're not actually behind schedule at all. If you thank them you're accepting that you've played slowly when you haven't!
but they are not ahead of time OP already admitted they had dropped almost hole behind.

DCB

Visit site
A Society Outing, playing Texas Scramble format ..... a classic recipe for slow play, no wonder there was a course marshal out. My reading of the OP does suggest the group had dropped off the pace as ther ws a gap between them and the group ahead. I am assuming the group ahead was part of the Society as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Exactly. Members with buggies and an open course against a team playing a scramble is always going to move quicker and 70 minutes for 10 holes to play said scramble is not ambling along. It was a poor request, delivered in a poor manner and the mistake compounded at lunchtime. If I was feeding back to the organiser and the club I'd make sure it was noted how it did leave a mark on the day

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
but they are not ahead of time OP already admitted they had dropped almost hole behind.
He said the group in front had got away from them because they were using buggies and going very quick. You can't always keep up with a group, that's ridiculous. How is a four ball going to keep with two-ball using a buggy for example? He said they'd taken just over an hour to do seven holes, that's good going and suggests they weren't slow. Just because there's a gap somewhere on the course you can't assume someone is slow, it may just mean someone else was very quick. I resent this notion that we have to race round the course at 100mph, what's the point of that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
He said the group in front had got away from them because they were using buggies and going very quick. You can't always keep up with a group, that's ridiculous. How is a four ball going to keep with two-ball using a buggy for example? He said they'd taken just over an hour to do seven holes, that's good going and suggests they weren't slow. Just because there's a gap somewhere on the course you can't assume someone is slow, it may just mean someone else was very quick. I resent this notion that we have to race round the course at 100mph, what's the point of that.
there is no mention of a two ball in the OP and the group in front is a 3 ball as well. If you lose pace with a group in front then a course marshal is going to ask you to speed up. the scenario you mention is a different matter altogether and not whats in the OP, no mention of the Group in front playing faster and is part of his group

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
there is no mention of a two ball in the OP and the group in front is a 3 ball as well. If you lose pace with a group in front then a course marshal is going to ask you to speed up. the scenario you mention is a different matter altogether and not whats in the OP, no mention of the Group in front playing faster and is part of his group
I can't be bothered to skim back but I definitely read it yesterday, he said the group in front had buggies so of course they got away from his group. You are correct that the marshal has seen the gap between groups and that's why she's said something to them - that's fair enough from her perspective. But then I think he's within his rights to point out that his group isn't actually slow, it's the group in front that was fast.

I get that we want to eradicate slow play, but you cannot expect every group on the course to play as fast as the fastest group. There are limits.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can't be bothered to skim back but I definitely read it yesterday, he said the group in front had buggies so of course they got away from his group. You are correct that the marshal has seen the gap between groups and that's why she's said something to them - that's fair enough from her perspective. But then I think he's within his rights to point out that his group isn't actually slow, it's the group in front that was fast.

I get that we want to eradicate slow play, but you cannot expect every group on the course to play as fast as the fastest group. There are limits.
not if as stated its a 3 ball from your group in front and you have lost ground on that group. if it was a two ball in buggies... fair enough, but its not in this scenario

D

Deleted member 21258

I have mentioned the 3 ball in our group ripping though the course as the front nine was empty and mentioned they were using buggies(see my post 27).

Interested to hear your views, we were playing as a walking 3 ball, 2nd group out and were heading for just under a 3 hour round(7 holes played in 1hr 10 minutes with a par4 & par 3 to finish the front nine and were about 1.5 hours for front 9). It was almost a shame that we/the first group/whole group got stuck behind some slow members playing from the 10th, as I had decided to have my say next time and my wife was saying do not).

BTW I was the organiser for this and it was a business event, the whole matter was embarrassing tbh and for the first time ever, I am considering making a formal complaint (btw there is more comments made by the marshal, and she also said that we started to play faster on the back nine and caught the group up in front which was just rubbish we only caught them up due to the slow members ahead of the first 3 ball in buggies[we had almost a 2 hour back nine], other comments were made to others groups at lunch and other groups/hassle/food issues tbh), but really looking to see if my view is out of step with other peoples. I will only make a complaint about the facts I know that are true as I experienced them(hence why I have not posted the other groups experiences). A shame really as the course is cracking and greens were superb and we did not have any problems with any other people on the day.

Do you think that the Marshall was doing a good job when she asked up to speed up, even though we were playing at just faster than 3 hour pace for 3 ball ?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
not if as stated its a 3 ball from your group in front and you have lost ground on that group. if it was a two ball in buggies... fair enough, but its not in this scenario

"We had lost 0.5-0.75 of a hole as the 3 ball in front of us had buggies and we were walking and they had an open golf course (members going off the 10th) to rip though at very fast pace." from the OP

Not a 2-ball, but 3-ball as you stated, but they were in buggies, so understandable that you would lose little bit of ground on them.

It sounds like the Marshall wasn't good at their job. They have seen a gap and taken the opportunity to talk to the OP's group without using some common sense that the group in front had buggies, and that the group she was talking to were making very good time

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have mentioned the 3 ball in our group ripping though the course as the front nine was empty and mentioned they were using buggies(see my post 27).

Interested to hear your views, we were playing as a walking 3 ball, 2nd group out and were heading for just under a 3 hour round(7 holes played in 1hr 10 minutes with a par4 & par 3 to finish the front nine and were about 1.5 hours for front 9). It was almost a shame that we/the first group/whole group got stuck behind some slow members playing from the 10th, as I had decided to have my say next time and my wife was saying do not).

BTW I was the organiser for this and it was a business event, the whole matter was embarrassing tbh and for the first time ever, I am considering making a formal complaint (btw there is more comments made by the marshal, and she also said that we started to play faster on the back nine and caught the group up in front which was just rubbish we only caught them up due to the slow members ahead of the first 3 ball in buggies[we had almost a 2 hour back nine], other comments were made to others groups at lunch and other groups/hassle/food issues tbh), but really looking to see if my view is out of step with other peoples. I will only make a complaint about the facts I know that are true as I experienced them(hence why I have not posted the other groups experiences). A shame really as the course is cracking and greens were superb and we did not have any problems with any other people on the day.

Do you think that the Marshall was doing a good job when she asked up to speed up, even though we were playing at just faster than 3 hour pace for 3 ball ?

I would be tempted to give feedback, not necessarily a complaint. But something along the lines that as an organiser it was embarrassing to be constantly talked to by the course marshal despite playing a very quick pace, all because they couldn't seem to understand that a group walking would be slower than a group with buggies

D

Deleted member 21258

A Society Outing, playing Texas Scramble format ..... a classic recipe for slow play, no wonder there was a course marshal out. My reading of the OP does suggest the group had dropped off the pace as ther ws a gap between them and the group ahead. I am assuming the group ahead was part of the Society as well.

I respect your opinion but do not understand your comments perhaps you could expand, as mentioned before we played individual stableford in the morning, texas(2 or 3 balls) in the afternoon. Both rounds were completed well within the 4 hours. Is that slow play for you as a four ball ?

The Marshall was allocated to us before they knew what we were going to play, she joined us in the clubhouse first thing, followed us to the 1st tee, then around the course, said she was going to in the clubhouse and so on, it was not a very pleasant experience at all (this was her job and heard that she had worked at a previous local golf club and that they remembered her for similar reasons/problems). I do take a slight insult at your sweeping comment 'No wonder there was a course marshal out' ?. The Marshall was not called out due to slow play but was just allocated to the day to help the smooth passage of the day..