Unwelcome visitors

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the clubs in Cambridgeshire had travellers turn up on the course, they were asked to leave but refused. After dark a couple of the Assistant Pros hit golf balls at the caravans. The travellers moved on the next day.
Fins that hard to believe, sounds like the assistant pros are telling stories to make themselves look the big man.
Travellers are no shrinking violets and I doubt very much they would have whimpered away with their tails between their legs if someone was hitting the vans with balls. They would Beat the living daylights out of them and torched the clubhouse more like.
These travellers know the law and where they stand with it. They are a menace but no-one can do much about them. We have a group,that appear on the park opposite our club every now and then but never really heard of any trouble from them.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
20 caravans on site at my course, fortunately no damage to the course, but this morning the green keepers found the container housing the greens equipment (mower, strimmer, chain saw etc) had been violated. Near on £4k of goods missing. We have a miniature railway on site and their hut was also opened and from there went a couple of generators an some power tools. The Netball team and flat green bowls share a shed which has also had a visit.

8 policemen on site and in view of the stolen items but no action taken.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
20 caravans on site at my course, fortunately no damage to the course, but this morning the green keepers found the container housing the greens equipment (mower, strimmer, chain saw etc) had been violated. Near on £4k of goods missing. We have a miniature railway on site and their hut was also opened and from there went a couple of generators an some power tools. The Netball team and flat green bowls share a shed which has also had a visit.

Terrible when you know they've done ti but these goods will be long off site almost straight after the deed. We've got at least 20 caravans on some grassland next to a roundabout in the town centre. Been moved three times in the last two weeks already. Shame it's not like the old wild west and they could be marched out of town. They know the law and how to use it

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Solution - burn the caravans, preferably with the vermin inside

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Once went to the races at York, in a chippy afterwards in the town centre one was kicking off re prices. I was with 15 coppers on a stag do. One was getting wound up. He got up and stood right in front of said piles nose. Him and his pals nearly crapped themselves. Me said after they are all about numbers and intimidation. They were tossers that night.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I worked at SLM Nissan we had them turn up at the end of the road and pitch on a large grass area in front of another companies offices.
Police were involved but could do nothing.
Within three nights we'd had the massive great chrome back bumpers nicked off of two Navara pick-up trucks we had on display, along with a towbar and electrics.
Guess who denied all knowledge.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
There's a rugby club on the park behind my house. Got home last night to find at least 15 caravans all parked up along the tree line behind my garden fence. They're about 5 metres from the house. Bloody generators humming and dogs barking all night long. Apparently theu have all the rights in the world and assuming any papers get served today, they have a good 7 days before they have to go. The rugby club have their annual music festival fund raiser this weekend, not sure whether this will expedite any movement.

It's unusual for them to come into the actual housing areas here in Milton Keynes, I've certainly never seen them on this land in 16 years that I have lived here, but apparently they are here in massive numbers this year. There were 28 caravans down the road last week, they moved onto the football pitches at one of the other sports pavillions, right next to a young school. As they were moving in, a woman parked her car across the entrance to try and stop them, and was then dragged out of her car before they drove it off.

I really don't get it? Fine, they want to move around etc. but the level of mess that they live in before leaving it is beyond comprehension. I don't understand why they want to live like that, or how they get away with it either, we'd be in trouble left, right and centre if we dropped 1% of the rubbish they leave. I'm sure it's the fact that they move, but they don't seem to move far, just a mile round the corner for the next week etc. Surely they can be tracked and things like cars and vans can be impounded until fines paid. There has to be a way to penalize them for the debris and cleanup operation at least.

Anyways, I'm working at home today and have the luxury of these two barking, yelping dogs chained up out the back of my house. Along with the inablility to do anything apart from sit here and watch them for the next week.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I used to live right next to a piece of land which was officially designated for travelling folks, so groups of tinkers, Roma and the occasional circus would come through and stay for a few days (I think the amount of time they were allowed to stay was limited to 10 days or 2 weeks or something like that). They could hook up to power and running water, but it was quite expensive, so sometimes they would come over to our house and ask if they could hook up a power cable to our landline. They were always willing to pay a fair price for it and we usually let them. There was one time when a Rom asked to borrow a handsaw. My housemate who owned our workshop was sceptical and gave him the oldest, rustiest, blandest saw he had, because he expected to never get it back. But the guy returned it with thanks the next day and said he sharpened it a bit. That he had. Ever after that it was the best handsaw we ever owned. I used it to build raised garden beds quite a few years later and it was still amazingly sharp. It was a bit of gypsy magic and it taught us to be a bit more open minded to our travelling neighbours and not to expect the worse of them.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I used to live right next to a piece of land which was officially designated for travelling folks, so groups of tinkers, Roma and the occasional circus would come through and stay for a few days (I think the amount of time they were allowed to stay was limited to 10 days or 2 weeks or something like that). They could hook up to power and running water, but it was quite expensive, so sometimes they would come over to our house and ask if they could hook up a power cable to our landline. They were always willing to pay a fair price for it and we usually let them. There was one time when a Rom asked to borrow a handsaw. My housemate who owned our workshop was sceptical and gave him the oldest, rustiest, blandest saw he had, because he expected to never get it back. But the guy returned it with thanks the next day and said he sharpened it a bit. That he had. Ever after that it was the best handsaw we ever owned. I used it to build raised garden beds quite a few years later and it was still amazingly sharp. It was a bit of gypsy magic and it taught us to be a bit more open minded to our travelling neighbours and not to expect the worse of them.

I'd love to be more understanding, but this group have already left a trail of rubbish around the local area in the past two weeks. Probably a few thousand pounds worth to clean up and process, not to mention the fact that they are now camped on the rugby ground right in the middle of where there is supposed to be a large party at the weekend. They do not come across as the Romany type of traveller.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My old flat that I rent out has a piece of land next door, a couple years ago we had 15 caravans move in and was at the time I was looking for new tenants. Needless to say that whilst they were there I didn’t get anyone want to rent it and in the end it was empty for 3 months as the council took ages to clean up the mess they left.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I understand the frustration and I don't think it is easy. What helped in our case was that it was a piece of public land (I think it was owned by the city) with the basic facilities like toilets, water, power supply etc. Some groups still left a mess, but at least it was not on anyones private property. And in case that a group of travellers would try to camp out anywhere else, the authorities could step in and tell them to move to the designated land instead. Our house was the only one right next to it (and owned by the city as well, we just rented it and it was pretty dereclict itself, plus it was built on poisoned ground because it had been a tin factory before ... I am pretty sure most people thought we were gypsys as well. Or an anarchistic commune or something ... which wasn't even that far from the truth). I just think if a city or town can reserve a piece of land like that, it prevents travellers from camping out on parking lots or rugby fields or whereever else they are not welcome. Most of them are not looking to cause any trouble. They just don't want to (and in many cases could not) give up their traditional way of living.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m sure theres a good number of travellers that are fine and respectful people, but it’s those that insist on emptying their open back truck on the country lanes, leaving loads of debris and waste after they have been removed from public open space or amenity and are generally ignorant that cause the aggro.
Not too long ago my local authority obtained an injunction banning all travellers from pitching up in the area after hundreds of thousands of pounds being spent on repairing damage done and clearing waste up after their regular impromptu camps moved on.
Sadly that has now expired, and they have returned and yes, leaving damage and waste which we the council tax payers have to cover.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand the frustration and I don't think it is easy. What helped in our case was that it was a piece of public land (I think it was owned by the city) with the basic facilities like toilets, water, power supply etc. Some groups still left a mess, but at least it was not on anyones private property. And in case that a group of travellers would try to camp out anywhere else, the authorities could step in and tell them to move to the designated land instead. Our house was the only one right next to it (and owned by the city as well, we just rented it and it was pretty dereclict itself, plus it was built on poisoned ground because it had been a tin factory before ... I am pretty sure most people thought we were gypsys as well. Or an anarchistic commune or something ... which wasn't even that far from the truth). I just think if a city or town can reserve a piece of land like that, it prevents travellers from camping out on parking lots or rugby fields or whereever else they are not welcome. Most of them are not looking to cause any trouble. They just don't want to (and in many cases could not) give up their traditional way of living.

Every local authority has to provide designated sites for travellers in the UK. We have one a few miles away from where I live. It is next to a country park, a lovely spot. I believe they pay an amount per night to stay and obviously get their amenities. Despite this there are still travellers who will turn up in the area and stay on industrial estates, rugby pitches etc because it is free. They stay for 2-3 days until the police have the paperwork to move them on and then leave a colossal amount of rubbish behind. The least they could do if they stop somewhere is leave it as they found it, that is basic, but they don't and that gripes.

I don't know the percentage that behave like this, it may be small, but they damage the reputation for all of the decent people who live this life. Incidentally, where the heck do they get the money for the new pick up trucks, flash caravans etc? I see them on our industrial estate every year or two and the value of transport on display is significant.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Incidentally, where the heck do they get the money for the new pick up trucks, flash caravans etc? I see them on our industrial estate every year or two and the value of transport on display is significant.
I guess it’s hard to send a tax return to someone with no address.
I have to say I find it quite sickening that we have to fall over ourselves to cater for those who make no significant contribution to our society - and in many cases are actually a pest and a drain on public funds - when there seems to be much less appetite for action for people in genuine need like the homeless.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I live in an area that is blighted by these scumbags every summer. They arrive en masse and move from supermarket carpark to public parks in a constant merry go round. There are always the do gooders in our area saying that they should just be left in peace and that they are only here for a month or so however I've also never seen these people offer out their own driveways and gardens.

The biggest issues we face is that crime goes through the roof, shoplifting and burglaries and the mess they leave is a sight to behold. Human waste, broken glass, building materials, you name it and you'll find it here. They cut through locks, parks are unusable whilst environmental health have to clean children's playgrounds up.

This year things have come to a head slightly. Local residents are bored with the constant lip service that local politicians spout and when the convoy of caravans is spotted cars are moved by locals to areas where we know they will go. They were caught breaking a lock on the local recreation group however luckily a van was parked up the other side to stop them. It won't be long before the residents resort to a vigilante type group unless the authorities start to take action, feels are running that high.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seem to remember a tv program that showed a town in Ireland where about 80% of the residents went “mobile” during the warmer months, mainly in England, and then returned back home in the winter.
Perhaps we should do likewise to their town.........