Unusual ways to the hole

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got a par yesterday by hooking my tee shot into the trees, only able to chip out then seeing my approach bounce over a bunker on to the green, I was able to sink a long putt.
Made me think of the master of making pars or better from any situation.
I understand he deliberately hit his shot into the car park knowing he could take a free drop.

Can you match that?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just take a look at the strength of the wind and the depth of the rough.
On another occasion I saw him hook into the trees, chip out, send his approach into the right hand bunker, and then hole out from there for par.
It startled the commentator.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If anybody knows Burnham and Berrow well they will understand.

Tee shot off the first went flying down the 18th fairway. I was the only one in the 4 ball to get a par on the hole.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you might get some 'infractionable' answers with your thread title ;)
Infractionable?
Never was an intention of any double meaning. It refers to any unusual route a golf ball might take from tee to the hole.

Has anyone played Borth when the wind is blowing hard off the left on the early holes?
You might need help from the sea wall and even from the road on the right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seve started to go downhill once he started to hit the ball straight off the tee:LOL:
I knew a guy (Eggy was his nickname) who caddied for Seve once at The Oxfordshire when his regular was unavailable. Said he was amazed at some of the shots Seve envisioned and played. One particular wayward tee shot that ended up in hay and under a tree was 'hack out only' but Seve overrode and describes along the lines as 'I play 4i under trees onto that mound and bounce onto green' and proceeded to do it! Eggy just gave him yardage, cleaned his clubs and watched in awe after that!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I knew a guy (Eggy was his nickname) who caddied for Seve once at The Oxfordshire when his regular was unavailable. Said he was amazed at some of the shots Seve envisioned and played. One particular wayward tee shot that ended up in hay and under a tree was 'hack out only' but Seve overrode and describes along the lines as 'I play 4i under trees onto that mound and bounce onto green' and proceeded to do it! Eggy just gave him yardage, cleaned his clubs and watched in awe after that!
Reminds me of the story:
Seve was in the trees with green not too far away. He overheard a young lad say to his dad, "He'll never get on the green from there".
Seve stopped, went over to the lad and said " You wanna bet me a pound". "OK" said young lad. Seve proceeded to get the ball out and on to the green. He went back to the lad and said, " Where's a ma pound". ??

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The trophy me and my mates compete for each year is called TITWI - ‘thin it to win it’, after one of the lads thinned his 7 iron to win closest to the pin during a previous round!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Reminds me of the story:
Seve was in the trees with green not too far away. He overheard a young lad say to his dad, "He'll never get on the green from there".
Seve stopped, went over to the lad and said " You wanna bet me a pound". "OK" said young lad. Seve proceeded to get the ball out and on to the green. He went back to the lad and said, " Where's a ma pound". ??
(y)I'd certainly have been happy to pay £1 to see that! He was definitely an entertainer! There's Seve photos/memorabilia of/from him all over 'my' club as he designed it. Certainly not a 'boring' course!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I understand he deliberately hit his shot into the car park knowing he could take a free drop.
My understanding is that the strategy was to hit it as far down the hole as possible, as the further down, the less penal the rough was. So hitting Driver was the choice, not that particular shot. In fact, if he'd been aiming for the car-park, he'd likely have missed it...he only hit 9 FWs across his 4 rounds. He did, however say.. 'I play good from the rough – I have plenty of practice.'

Reactions: sjw

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I have seen several examples on our par 5 opening hole of players playing the hole without the ball touching the ground anywhere on what would be considered the "general area" of the hole.

Tee shot usually gets pulled down the 18th fairway, 2nd shot somewhere down the 18th towards the 18th tee (its a lot easier than trying to get back to your own fairway), depending on how far down you've gone you can then go for the green or, if you don't have a shot (blocked out by trees) you can play towards the 2nd tee, then wedge from there on to the green and one putt for your par.

sunshine

Visit site
I met this lovely Czech girl on the tube on the way to work once. Sometimes I’ve had drunken conversations on the late tube home when there’s a bit of a party atmosphere. Never imagined I’d pull on the Piccadilly line at 8am though.