Unisex tees?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
My understanding was that it was not a formality that all tees would be assessed for both sexes and that clubs would have to request this if they wanted it and a new assessment visit would then be arranged.

When ploughing through the depressingly large WHS toolkit, my eye fell on a note which read "The Slope Ratings are gender specific and the tee which a golfer plays from must have a Slope Rating for each gender".

We don't. Do you all have this?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having previously had two tees rated unisex the lady members decided the shortest men's was too long and the men decided the longer ladies was too short. So when the course was altered we decided not to.
When I was actively rating we always asked the clubs well beforehand and at the time was surprised at the number who chose not to double rate.

As it happens, the rating system and WHS allows for CR adjustment if individual holes of one colour are mixed with holes of another colour. But it is messy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mine's actually pretty 'enlightened' imo!
But there's fewer than half a dozen female members! But a Slope of 73.3/139 off Ruby Tees possibly explains that! 72.6/141 off normal Men's and 74.9/143 off very back!
Hosting a Rose Series Ladies Tournament this week so will see how they handle it! Made it a bit easier on some holes (and harder on others) last couple of weeks, as they are protecting the tees to be used.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Made it a bit easier on some holes (and harder on others) last couple of weeks, as they are protecting the tees to be used.
Another reason for not rating the ladies' tees for men was the divots mess the men made of the relatively smaller tee pads.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the problem was with the question asked in our county. It wasn't "do you want your tees rated for both men and women?" it was "which tees do your men / ladies play off?"

A missed opportunity in my view as our yellow tees could provide a sensible championship course for ladies and the red tees would be very suitable for juniors and some senior men.

We are struggling to complete the assessments and hence possibility of going back and updating them in the short term is remote.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the problem was with the question asked in our county. It wasn't "do you want your tees rated for both men and women?" it was "which tees do your men / ladies play off?"

A missed opportunity in my view as our yellow tees could provide a sensible championship course for ladies and the red tees would be very suitable for juniors and some senior men.

We are struggling to complete the assessments and hence possibility of going back and updating them in the short term is remote.
Once the fag end are rated, many rating teams in England will have more time available next season. I know some counties have lent teams to adjacent counties if they have done all theirs.
However, EG can arrange for a temporary rating done by paperwork alone and this lasts for at least a year (possibly two I think).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only ones we had rated for both were on our 9 hole course.

With our old manager we were going to get the yellows rated for both on the 18 hole course but sadly the new manager did not request it.

Diamond

Visit site
As a new golfer I think that everyone should play off the red tees. Once you achieve sub 28 handicap go to the yellows off 28 irrespective of the gender or age.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There should be only two tees. White (competition) and yellow (general play), in my opinion.

So your wife’s handicap would go up to about 50, that’ll do her confidence the world of good.

I’ve always maintained that tees should be ability rated, I play with some old duffers in societies who can’t manage a 135 yard carry over water or rough , off the yellows

It does not inspire confidence in those who want to keep playing for as long as possible