TV Series - What Are You Watching?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going through Cracker on ITV Player at the moment. On to series 2 now - absolutely love Fitz. This was a cutting edge series in 1993 to 1996 and although it seems dated in many respects, not least the film quality and all the ford Sierra's and Vauxhall Cavalier's, the charcaters and stories are top notch - love the non-PC attitude that was prevelent.

Next up will be At home With The Braithwaites on ITV - i remember really liking it, very sarcastic and great characters but cannot remember much

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched the first episode of the last series of Brooklyn 99, and it was awful! I love B99 but this was the worst episode they've ever written. I remember them saying they had torn up the script and re-written it to try and capture the real life issues surrounding the police at the time (and Covid as it turned out), but it ended up being way too on-the-nose and was excruciating at times. They should have just ignored real life issues and get on with the actual comedy.

That said, episode two was pretty much back to normal thankfully. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched the first episode of the last series of Brooklyn 99, and it was awful! I love B99 but this was the worst episode they've ever written. I remember them saying they had torn up the script and re-written it to try and capture the real life issues surrounding the police at the time (and Covid as it turned out), but it ended up being way too on-the-nose and was excruciating at times. They should have just ignored real life issues and get on with the actual comedy.

That said, episode two was pretty much back to normal thankfully. (y)
I could have written exactly the same. The first episode was one they should have filmed, watched themselves to feel better, but then never released. It was totally self indulgent and not at all funny. Painful. At least they didn't drag Doug Judy into it :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could have written exactly the same. The first episode was one they should have filmed, watched themselves to feel better, but then never released. It was totally self indulgent and not at all funny. Painful. At least they didn't drag Doug Judy into it :D
I don't really like using the word woke, but it was nothing but a huge attempt to look like the 'wokest' TV show in my opinion. Just wasn't needed at all. So many high-and-mighty references to 'must do better' and being 'part of the problem'. Cringe.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really like using the word woke, but it was nothing but a huge attempt to look like the 'wokest' TV show in my opinion. Just wasn't needed at all. So many high-and-mighty references to 'must do better' and being 'part of the problem'. Cringe.
They could have made their point using humour, as they have done many times with Holt for example, but this was devoid of humour and was just plain sledgehammer stuff. No subtlety at all. Hopefully that is out of their system now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They could have made their point using humour, as they have done many times with Holt for example, but this was devoid of humour and was just plain sledgehammer stuff. No subtlety at all. Hopefully that is out of their system now.
Agreed - quite a few American comedies have risked ruining their legacies with a crap last season, hope they haven't done the same.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed - quite a few American comedies have risked ruining their legacies with a crap last season, hope they haven't done the same.

I was about to say the same thing. Historically the show has run out of ideas before they call it quits and so the last series is just and exercise in self referential back slapping whilst trying to write a reason for everyone to leave with a happy ending. This is why I posted previously that all shows shoudl be allowed a 6 season run at the max with that allowing the ending to be planned in advance rather than being tacked on when the writers have run out of other things to write about.

D-S

Visit site
Got caught up with Derry Girls, superbly funny. Best comedy of recent years I think.
Last episode of season 1 was one of the most emotional bits of tv I have seen for many years, when Granda Joe puts his arm around Gerry’s shoulders as they saw events unfold on tv as the ‘wains’ were dancing on stage I really choked. Brilliant TV at its best.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Going through Cracker on ITV Player at the moment. On to series 2 now - absolutely love Fitz. This was a cutting edge series in 1993 to 1996 and although it seems dated in many respects, not least the film quality and all the ford Sierra's and Vauxhall Cavalier's, the charcaters and stories are top notch - love the non-PC attitude that was prevelent.

Next up will be At home With The Braithwaites on ITV - i remember really liking it, very sarcastic and great characters but cannot remember much

Always loved Cracker. Gets a bit harrowing in season 2....

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Watched the second season of Russian Doll at the weekend.
Enjoyable but not a patch on the first season.

Also finished this. I got a bit lost in this season to be honest, Didn't realize it had finished and not sure what happened in the end...... It wasn't as good as the first season, and I found it difficult to concentrate in the last 3 episodes. Going to watch the last one again to see what I missed.