TV Series - What Are You Watching?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just finished watching The Tourist, entertaining but really poor script at times, same applied to Reacher.

To be fair that sums up Reacher in the books as well. They were always enjoyable, easy reading, trashy books. Great holiday books that could be read by a pool without having to massively focus.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Reacher 😂. I agree, and with a previous poster who said the best books were ones where he was in small towns rather than taking on big multi nationals. They tend to be less far fetched, although they always are to an extent.
I agree with this meta criticism of the Reacher world. However, I think there are a few things that don't convince me in this series that extend beyond this.
1. The actor playing JR doesn't work imho. Roided up gym freak is not who he is. Should obviously be tall and strapping, but not not preposterous. Think wing-forward (delaglio). Better than Cruise I guess. There's no inkling of intelligence or humour either.
2. The love interest is completely unconvincing on any level. To the point that it's just annoying.
3. The rest of the crew as bar-room brawlers and unarmed ninjas. Give me a break. I'm all for the suspension of disbelief, but per-lease.

Haha. Looks like I'm really grumpy, but I just shot 78, so imagine how it would look if I'd chopped about... ;-)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with this meta criticism of the Reacher world. However, I think there are a few things that don't convince me in this series that extend beyond this.
1. The actor playing JR doesn't work imho. Roided up gym freak is not who he is. Should obviously be tall and strapping, but not not preposterous. Think wing-forward (delaglio). Better than Cruise I guess. There's no inkling of intelligence or humour either.
2. The love interest is completely unconvincing on any level. To the point that it's just annoying.
3. The rest of the crew as bar-room brawlers and unarmed ninjas. Give me a break. I'm all for the suspension of disbelief, but per-lease.

Haha. Looks like I'm really grumpy, but I just shot 78, so imagine how it would look if I'd chopped about... ;-)
Harrison Ford, Arnie and Sly do alright cutting about👍so there's a chance for us yet pmsl.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't know the actor's size but I though Reacher was about 200lb and 6'5". Looks ok.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Season 2 was terrible compared to Season 1. Alan Ritchson’s acting was so wooden, he looked like he had been to the Joey smell the fart school of acting.

Tom Cruise was much better as Reacher, there was at least an air of menace about him.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Season 1 of Reacher he was nalied having read all teh books, season 2 not so good but it's the chosen book and storyline imo. Cruise was crap as reacher and a joke, absolute rubbish in every way.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never read a Reacher book so now misconceptions here. Cruise did a job and also the current unit. I preferred series 1 over series 2 - as pointed out above, it is because I like the idea of Reacher v small town bullies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never read a Reacher book so now misconceptions here. Cruise did a job and also the current unit. I preferred series 1 over series 2 - as pointed out above, it is because I like the idea of Reacher v small town bullies.
The book is very descriptive of the character of Reacher. Tom Cruise didn't tick a single box when it came to matching that description. Sometimes the reality of the character doesn't need to match the book description but in this case it is absolutely central to the character. To get it so wrong was off the scale wrong.

I like Tom incidentally, he just shouldn't have been Reacher.

D

Deleted member 1147

Rewatching Sherlock
Brilliant series & immensely superior to Elementary.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Course closed yesterday and today because of the storm. Decided for a change to sit on the sofa all day and watch TV. After the golf, blitzed through the first season of The Killing. Forgot how good it was, and don’t remember the culprit, already into season 2. Definitely worth a rewatch.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
My all time favourites have been.
Breaking Bad
Ozark
Better calll Saul.
Justified
Homeland
Jack Ryan (season 4 was pants)
Rizzoli & Iles
The last one mainly because Angie Harmon is smoking hot!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My all time favourites have been.
Breaking Bad
Ozark
Better calll Saul.
Justified
Homeland
Jack Ryan (season 4 was pants)
Rizzoli & Iles
The last one mainly because Angie Harmon is smoking hot!

Never watched jack Ryan, might be worth a go whilst waiting for reacher season 3 to be made?

Your top 3 are outstanding shows