Turning pro, how tough is it.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Correct, Aaron's wins this year have already secured him 2 years on the European Tour (he would have qualified via the Order of Merit as well)

He's not attached to any club and has been coached by Piers & Andy (Me & My Golf) since he was a junior

Top 10 in Andalucia over the weekend as well - he obviously has talent

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You need a fair share of luck as well.
I know a brilliant player who missed his Tour card by 1-3 shots for three years on the trot. Sadly never reached his true potential.
I know another who birdied 4 of the last 5 to gain his card and has held it without a break for over 20 years, Earning over £1m a year on the way.

Greatest put down I heard was years ago when a cocky young lad asked advice on turning pro.
The old Pro told him to come back and ask again after he had won three club scratch medals.:eek:

How's that luck?? That can also be called he backside falling out your trousers when it counts, or playing when the chips are down.

There must be a very small % of guys go on to become successful tour players.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
It wouldn’t cover the entry fee and hotel bill never mind travel

David j Russell surely has relatives he could stay with in Birmingham ? Being from Bromsgrove 😱 forest members on the bag £50 a day paid by Marriott I'd guess. Arden isn't expensive any hows to stay at.

Easy made a few 100s

D

Deleted member 18588

David j Russell surely has relatives he could stay with in Birmingham ? Being from Bromsgrove 😱 forest members on the bag £50 a day paid by Marriott I'd guess. Arden isn't expensive any hows to stay at.

Easy made a few 100s

Hotel, including dinner, likely to have cost him around £500 for four nights.

With fuel costs etx; he's not going to see much of a return on the week.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Easy made a few 100s

I reckon he lost money at that, probably paid 40% tax on his winnings too.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Head over to WRX for a reality dose. Dozens of plus 3/4 caps there who would laugh at you if you suggested they turn pro. Been debated often there and in summary they say they are no where near good enough to compete successfully at pro level. They estimate about a ten shot difference between the top pros and their plus 3/4 cap

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I reckon he lost money at that, probably paid 40% tax on his winnings too.

We need another thread, are they sell employed ? Surely hotel accommodation and travel is part of their business ? Caddie gets 10% on full amount or after tax ? Might stay amateur off 6 👀

D

Deleted member 18588

We need anothey ther thread, are they sell employed ? Surely hotel accommodation and travel is part of their business ? Caddie gets 10% on full amount or after tax ? Might stay amateur off 6 👀

Of course they are self-employed and they still have to pay tax. But what difference does that make?

Their expenses have to be met from prize money.

And the norm for caddies is 10% of a win, 6-7.5% on top ten and 5% on other winnings. Some at the higher levels get a retainer.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We need another thread, are they sell employed ? Surely hotel accommodation and travel is part of their business ? Caddie gets 10% on full amount or after tax ? Might stay amateur off 6 

Like i said, probably lost money when all expenses were totalled together.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend of mine is a member at an Open Rota Course and flits between +3 and +4. Went to college in the States on a golf scholarship etc.

He was nowhere near good enough (in his own words)!!! Standard is frightening even on the lower tours that he had a go at.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I started working at Thoresby pit 10 plus yrs ago. I got to know our training officer. He was in the same class at school as Lee Westwood and another golfer.
Everyone at school knew both were good golfers and that the other golfer was better. He is now pro at Retford golf course. Cannot think of his name, met him a few times and bought a G15 driver off him back in the day. Real nice guy he is. Those that knew them both were very Suprised that it was Mr Westwoods carreer that kicked on another level. As we say in our little group. " fine margins".

D

Deleted member 18588

When I started working at Thoresby pit 10 plus yrs ago. I got to know our training officer. He was in the same class at school as Lee Westwood and another golfer.
Everyone at school knew both were good golfers and that the other golfer was better. He is now pro at Retford golf course. Cannot think of his name, met him a few times and bought a G15 driver off him back in the day. Real nice guy he is. Those that knew them both were very Suprised that it was Mr Westwoods carreer that kicked on another level. As we say in our little group. " fine margins".

That's part of being a successful British sportsperson.

Always apocryphal tales of someone who was better than them as a kid.

Very rarely, if ever, true as, if it were the so called "better " player would be the one who made it.

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
About 7 years ago I was down to +2 and considered the pro route, my best option at the time was what was then the MasterCard Tour now the Europro Tour, I took the opportunity to play a few rounds with a couple of guys who where regulars on the tour and had a few top 10's between them and it quickly became apparent that even at +2 on a lower tour I was still probably 2 shots from where I needed to be.

D

Deleted member 1147

Didn't Westwood play most of his county golf with Mark Foster (a Euro Tour regular)?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That's part of being a successful British sportsperson.

Always apocryphal tales of someone who was better than them as a kid.

Very rarely, if ever, true as, if it were the so called "better " player would be the one who made it.

In this instance, I think it was teenage kids that were talking who would make it and not us educated adults :whistle:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing is, having a plus handicap is all well and good but you have to remember the pros that are currently playing on the top tours would have seriously silly + handicaps if they were still playing their home course week in, week out like regular golfers.

There was a pro am in Derry again this year. A two day affair across the 2 courses in the city. It was won by a local pro who has played at the open and agusta as an amateur and cannot crack it and make it to the European tour. He won with scores of 8 under and 4 under. scarily good golf but still not cutting the mustard.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I remember correctly Lee Westwood won three British Age Group championships aged between 14 to 16.
Closely followed by Gary Harris who also won three.
Harris looked a far better golfer at that stage.
Michael Welsh, who was slightly older, was probably the only other boy near his standard.