Turning pro, how tough is it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
its not disrespectful. i was simply saying that when you compare the two they are miles apart. when i say working their butt off i was referring to the tour player. turning pro at a 4 handicap and completing a pga course doesn't cut it.

and as for "sacrificing their playing time". they wouldn't be sacrificing anything if they was good enough to be playing for a living. you make it sound like they've given up their dreams to serve golf equipment to members. they do get paid!!

the unfortunate truth is i see tons of wanna be pros come through the pga course to end up working in a shop.

Calling a professional a hacker is disrespectful in my view however we'll agree to disagree.

D

Deleted member 15344

its not disrespectful. i was simply saying that when you compare the two they are miles apart. when i say working their butt off i was referring to the tour player. turning pro at a 4 handicap and completing a pga course doesn't cut it.

and as for "sacrificing their playing time". they wouldn't be sacrificing anything if they was good enough to be playing for a living. you make it sound like they've given up their dreams to serve golf equipment to members. they do get paid!!

the unfortunate truth is i see tons of wanna be pros come through the pga course to end up working in a shop.

The ones going through the PGA Course are the ones that will work in shops , give lessons etc - that’s why they are doing the course. Don’t need to be a PGA pro to play on the tour. As soon as someone finishes the course they are a Pro

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ones going through the PGA Course are the ones that will work in shops , give lessons etc - that’s why they are doing the course. Don’t need to be a PGA pro to play on the tour. As soon as someone finishes the course they are a Pro

i know they dont need the qualification

all these young guys completing the pga course are intent on making a living playing golf. they complete the course so it can potentially open more doors with pga pro ams that are worth alot of merit points. one of the guys has earned enough points for a start in a bigger comp.

when i speak to them they all say "if i cant make it on tour at least i have a qualification to fall back on"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

i know they dont need the qualification

all these young guys completing the pga course are intent on making a living playing golf. they complete the course so it can potentially open more doors with pga pro ams that are worth alot of merit points. one of the guys has earned enough points for a start in a bigger comp.

when i speak to them they all say "if i cant make it on tour at least i have a qualification to fall back on"

I play regualry on the Pro Am circuit and every single Pro I have played with did the course because they wanted to become a PGA Pro to teach , run pro shops etc - and same with the four guys from ours who have gone to the PGA - one is now with Wilson Staff , one is a Golf Director etc - none are looking for ways into the tour and I have played with players who have won their OOM - it’s not a route to the tour . Players looking to get on tour do it via - Tour School , Euro Pro etc and even some look via Open Qualfying etc.

A guy looking to go on the tour isn’t going to spend 3 years doing a PGA Course - he may do it after trying to go on the Tour

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play regualry on the Pro Am circuit and every single Pro I have played with did the course because they wanted to become a PGA Pro to teach , run pro shops etc - and same with the four guys from ours who have gone to the PGA - one is now with Wilson Staff , one is a Golf Director etc - none are looking for ways into the tour and I have played with players who have won their OOM - it’s not a route to the tour . Players looking to get on tour do it via - Tour School , Euro Pro etc and even some look via Open Qualfying etc.

A guy looking to go on the tour isn’t going to spend 3 years doing a PGA Course - he may do it after trying to go on the Tour

well phil, i think i trump you standing shoulder to shoulder almost on a daily basis with the guys who are doing the course and a member of the venue that teaches these individuals.

the vast majority of them whole heartedly believe they are going to be playing golf. perhaps the sensible part of them is having an insurance policy if it all goes tits up.

perhaps by the time you see them whilst playing pro ams they have seen sense and got their feet back on the ground

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Levels on levels like most sports, and agree with the comments its very much a mental game. The pro with 60k in debt sounds like the guy who is a lifetime gambler?

You need to know when to quit, when it clearly isn't working out. Don't start me on pro ams 👎

D

Deleted member 15344

Levels on levels like most sports, and agree with the comments its very much a mental game. The pro with 60k in debt sounds like the guy who is a lifetime gambler?

You need to know when to quit, when it clearly isn't working out. Don't start me on pro ams 👎

What’s wrong with Pro Am’s ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
there are some very successful golfers that play in pro ams. andy sullivan and rob rock being two of them

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree 100%.

We have had three members turn pro's in recent years and not one went anywhere near the PGA course.

One is on the Challenge Tour another is on the Web.com and the third is currently on a medical exemption from the European Tour.

I also spend a lot of time at the Belfry and have spoken to many of the youngsters on the PGA course and almost without exception they are aiming for Club pro's jobs or other roles in golf management.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree 100%.

We have had three members turn pro's in recent years and not one went anywhere near the PGA course.

One is on the Challenge Tour another is on the Web.com and the third is currently on a medical exemption from the European Tour.

I also spend a lot of time at the Belfry and have spoken to many of the youngsters on the PGA course and almost without exception they are aiming for Club pro's jobs or other roles in golf management.

without exception? . there are currently 3 from last years group that are on time off and trying to make it Q school \Europrotour all failing miserably too

may i ask in what capacity you talk to these pros?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Agree 100%.

Exactly that - same with the guys from Woburn - the ones that are looking to go on tour go to the Q School or Euro Pro - the ones wanting teach and run pro shops etc go onto the PGA Course - why would anyone looking to go on Tour spend time on the PGA without the amount of hours they have to do in Pro Shops etc etc. The PGA Course is all about gold management and teaching with little connection to the tour

D

Deleted member 18588

without exception? . there are currently 3 from last years group that are on time off and trying to make it Q school \Europrotour all failing miserably too

may i ask in what capacity you talk to these pros?

Same as yourself I imagine, just an interested bystander at the Academy.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You need a fair share of luck as well.
I know a brilliant player who missed his Tour card by 1-3 shots for three years on the trot. Sadly never reached his true potential.
I know another who birdied 4 of the last 5 to gain his card and has held it without a break for over 20 years, Earning over £1m a year on the way.

Greatest put down I heard was years ago when a cocky young lad asked advice on turning pro.
The old Pro told him to come back and ask again after he had won three club scratch medals.:eek:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
there's a chap i know from the belfry called aron rai. he looks set to get his European tour card next year. this man is an amazing golfer and knocks spots off my playing partner who is off +3. the work to get to that standard is off the chart.

as for club pros. in comparison, they are hackers. well, the one's I've seen anyhow

Hasn’t Aaron Rai got his card, due to 3 wins on the Challenge Tour? He’s also coached by Piers and Andy from Me & My Golf I believe.

Making it as a touring pro is incredibly hard, you need the right mindset, as well as an incredible golf game I would think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
well phil, i think i trump you standing shoulder to shoulder almost on a daily basis with the guys who are doing the course and a member of the venue that teaches these individuals.

the vast majority of them whole heartedly believe they are going to be playing golf. perhaps the sensible part of them is having an insurance policy if it all goes tits up.

perhaps by the time you see them whilst playing pro ams they have seen sense and got their feet back on the ground

I disagree. I speak to a course assessor for the PGA and he is very adamant that the PGA exam, not only exists as a gateway into playing structured events with an opportunity to progress up the ladder, but is primarily there as a recognised industry standard for those wanting to forge a career other than playing. Lets be honest, a lot of those that make it have side stepped the PGA exam and gone straight out onto mini tours and progressed that way, or not in the case of the OP.

I know a lot of good PGA pros who never dreamed of being a tour player and recognised they didn't have the ability. Many have gained reputations as great teachers and made a successful career doing that. Others are happy to be a loyal club professional

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hasn’t Aaron Rai got his card, due to 3 wins on the Challenge Tour? He’s also coached by Piers and Andy from Me & My Golf I believe.

Making it as a touring pro is incredibly hard, you need the right mindset, as well as an incredible golf game I would think.

Correct, Aaron's wins this year have already secured him 2 years on the European Tour (he would have qualified via the Order of Merit as well)

He's not attached to any club and has been coached by Piers & Andy (Me & My Golf) since he was a junior

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do successful tour players automatically get PGA tour qualifications, or can you only be a PGA pro by completing the course?

D

Deleted member 16999

So if there is a tour player that has won a major but has not passed his PGA course he is not allowed to charge you for lessons?
Yes he can charge, he just couldn’t advertise as PGA Qualified :rofl: