Trump Aberdeen membership

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had an Email from them this morning offering me membership.

£2500, for 12 months, not sure why they say 12 months as i think the course closes for at least 3 month or more.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The membership will last for 12 months, April to April for example. You just can't play for 3 of them :D. Point that out to them, see if you can pay pro-rata :thup:

I don't know prices of courses up there. Seems pretty high to me but would that be about right for what it is?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i was last there there were two lockers with members names on in the changing room, so that might suggest there are not many.

Corporate is almost £9K

I think Royal Aberdeen is much, much less if you can get in that is and most of the other local clubs are less than £1000 i think. Brian will be able to say how much his is at Cruden Bay.

I suppose with the Oil industry suffering the last few years and quite a few companies laying guys off, once upon a time they would have had people jumping at this.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Its 20 years since I was in Aberdeen, but I'd love to visit Cruden and Royal again. Marvelous places. Played Murcar and Newmacher while there too and they were no slouches!

It was July and the wind still cut me in half!

If I was a resident, I think Royal Aberdeen you take some beating for Membership.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its 20 years since I was in Aberdeen, but I'd love to visit Cruden and Royal again. Marvelous places. Played Murcar and Newmacher while there too and they were no slouches!

It was July and the wind still cut me in half!

If I was a resident, I think Royal Aberdeen you take some beating for Membership.

Def would be RA for me too, though i understand its rather difficult to get into,let alone get a locker;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Trump is worth EVERY penny and some. Top top top class golf course and facility.

Ticks all my boxes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Murcar was over £900 in 2017.

Cruden Bay was £600(?) can't remember exactly what I paid but it was just over £1,200 inc. the joining fee. Something like £600 subs, and £660 as a joining fee.

I think Trump's is a good layout bar a couple of holes. Not impressed with the greens when I played it... true enough but slow. But it was Sept, and I guess mid summer, with a decent cut, they'd be good. £2500 for 8 months golf? Not for me.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it 9k for one corporate day?
My employers have had a few corporate days at trump, Ive never heard a bad word yet about the place.
£2500 might be worth it depending on your circumstances, retired and play every day 😀

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is it 9k for one corporate day?
My employers have had a few corporate days at trump, Ive never heard a bad word yet about the place.
£2500 might be worth it depending on your circumstances, retired and play every day 😀

No Brian, Corporate membership starts at 9K. i would imagine that gets you X rounds, depending on what you pay. I think Corporate at CS is about the same.

if i lived closer i might consider it, good chance of winning a few medals from what i saw last time i was there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Has Trump done what he promised in support of his Trump Aberdeen application yet?

Trump won approval to build on the legally protected dunes because he had pledged to create up 6,000 jobs by building a five-star hotel with 450 rooms, shops, a sports complex, timeshare flats, two golf courses and housing estates at an estimated cost of £1bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/08/trump-golf-course-has-ruined-dunes-habitat

Didn't think so. Well - what did we expect.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Has Trump done what he promised in support of his Trump Aberdeen application yet?

Trump won approval to build on the legally protected dunes because he had pledged to create up 6,000 jobs by building a five-star hotel with 450 rooms, shops, a sports complex, timeshare flats, two golf courses and housing estates at an estimated cost of £1bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/08/trump-golf-course-has-ruined-dunes-habitat

I'm confident that will come along with another 18 holes in time. Also with all due respect Trump Aberdeen has brought millions into the local economy so far.

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site
It's a premium resort with premium prices, we all know Trump thinks golf should be for the better off folk only. Practice area and clubhouse are open year round - but yes I think it shots from Nov-Feb or March.
That said a couple of years ago Meldrum House was asking around £1600 per annum for membership - so perhaps Trump isn't that bad...

RAGC is less than half of what he's asking, and you may be pleasantly surprised to hear is a lot easier to join these days due to the downturn in the local economy. Currently there is no waiting list for 6 day membership, but you still need to be proposed / seconded by 3 members.

D

Deleted member 23270

Trump is worth EVERY penny and some. Top top top class golf course and facility.

Ticks all my boxes.

Certainly doesn't tick many of my boxes. Excellent course but absolutely no 'club' atmosphere. Not the sort of place you can play the Saturday medal then have a beer in a clubhouse packed with people you know all exchanging a bit of banter.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Well, that's the classic "resort" v "club" conundrum! I've seen some folk who prefer it the other way round as they say they don't like "cliquey!"

Me? I drive past St Pierre and Celtic Manor to get to Newport GC. Draw your own conclusions!

If I lived in Aberdeen and I could get into RA, I cant believe I wouldn't. (Mind you, I haven't played Trumps place yet as a comparison)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm no fan of Trump but I've yet to see any building project actually be truthful about the number of jobs to be created. They all lie, often quite big whoppers yet they are rarely questioned and there is no comeback if they do not match their claims. It is a real weakness in our planning process.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm confident that will come along with another 18 holes in time. Also with all due respect Trump Aberdeen has brought millions into the local economy so far.

Millions out of golfers playing the course and staying in local hotels and B&Bs. Let's see if he is good to his word...

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Did the locals actually want all of that, or are they perfectly happy to have a world class golf course without all the usual American add-ons?
Trump would not have spent all of that money just to have a golf course, but the canny Scots applied for an offshore wind farm adjacent to the course so he decided to put his plans on hold.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly doesn't tick many of my boxes. Excellent course but absolutely no 'club' atmosphere. Not the sort of place you can play the Saturday medal then have a beer in a clubhouse packed with people you know all exchanging a bit of banter.

I join a golf course for its facilities and how good the course is. If I want a beer with mates and the like I'll go to the pub and chew the fat. Each to their own, if you prefer it more sociable then that is your prerogative. Trump Aberdeen is up there with the best courses I have played, the experience, welcome and attention to detail is simply top class.