Trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I often wonder why those who become aggressive when someone disagrees can't simply rely on the case they have made without shouting it again. If their case is right it will stand up for itself.
"I'm right and you're wrong AND STUPID" isn't a very convincing bit of reasoning.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Let’s see if we can keep this thread vaguely civil... ha!

I get called a troll a lot.

For those who don’t know a troll is someone who posts to get a reaction and will generally not be giving their true opinion or are greatly exaggerating it.

I am honestly NOT a troll. I see most situations in incredibly black and white terms therefore people who disagree will often find it hard to see my point of view because I will adopt quite a hardline stance on whatever I believe.

I also rarely change my mind - which leads me further consternation because people think that when they explain their view I will change to theirs and almost can’t believe that I haven’t so I must be trolling!

I don’t think many people on here troll. Definitely not as many as get accused of it. There is one obvious stand out for me who I will only go so far as to identity as someone who was banned and seems to have returned with a different username.

So... do you all think trolling is a big issue here or (like me) do you think people just need to learn that we can have widely varying opinions and it doesn’t always mean someone is goading you?

You missed out the bit about posting in a style or manner designed to get a reaction...

I take it this is as a result of the VVD thread; the one where you posted your opinions as fact; the one where you were rude and sarcastic to other posters; the one where you effectively told the forum they were naive and you were the only person on here who could see through the whole PR stunt; that you were the only poster on the forum brave enough to stand up and speak the truth, despite several others thinking it; that thread?

Regardless of whether you honestly held the opinion that VVD staged the whole thing as a publicity stunt, you could have termed it differently or provided the evidence that proved your point; you did neither but continued to post in a manner that would clearly get others' backs up. That for me is trolling, which by definition makes you a troll. It's only my opinion of course, and I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

I know I can be blunt and abrasive but in comparison you make me look like diplomat material.

In answer to your final question, trolling isn't a big issue here for me and there are a large number of people with whom I can have wildly differing opinions, both online and in person, whilst still respecting them and their viewpoint and remaining civil. However (in my opinion, obviously) there are a few big trolls on here who delight in goading and generally stirring the pot whilst providing little contribution or value to the forum.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We deal with trolling when we see it or when it is reported to us. (Which isn’t very often)

Just because someone has a different opinion doesn’t mean that is trolling.

It becomes trolling when it becomes deliberately obtuse or when the poster’s opinion is so out of line with society’s or the forums opinion that other posters start having a go resulting in infractions.

This is what happened in the VVD thread, and that’s when I took you to task over it ( which is my job). And then you forcefully rejected my observations and even reported my pm as an “abuse of power”

So now you come seeking absolution.

Going to find a brick wall to bang my head against

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
funny how some always seem to be in middle of any bickering,yet they’re the victim 🤷‍♂️

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
We deal with trolling when we see it or when it is reported to us. (Which isn’t very often)

It becomes trolling when it becomes deliberately obtuse or when the poster’s opinion is so out of line with society’s or the forums opinion that other posters start having a go resulting in infractions.

This is what happened in the VVD thread, and that’s when I took you to task over it ( which is my job). And then you forcefully rejected my observations and even reported my pm as an “abuse of power”

Phil, what’s your opinion on forum members who contribute little apart from pithy, sarcastic, inflammatory posts in reply to others (valid) contribution? As mentioned, there are some whose whole reason for posting is the above??

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The issue I have (apart from the above); is the ‘cut & paste’ posting on every thread possible & also the inflammatory language used in response to a valid point. For the second point, the boom thread is a great example. those that thought the match was a waste of time were insulted for only having a contrary opinion. I appreciate that sometimes this happens in reaction to a choice of language, but in this case this didn’t apply.
Re the VDD thread, that I stayed clear of, the reaction was again to the inflammatory language used, whilst maybe supporting a valid opinion, it was unnecessary

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Again, bad form from you as a mod to bring something in private into the public realm. I won’t address the matter here beyond stating my disagreement that you’d do so.

I’m seeking no absolution from anyone.

D

Deleted member 16999

Phil, what’s your opinion on forum members who contribute little apart from pithy, sarcastic, inflammatory posts in reply to others (valid) contribution? As mentioned, there are some whose whole reason for posting is the above??
Aren’t you just as guilty when you “entertain” pinseeker and encourage his waffle, not actually naming him is also as bad as his post above not naming LP.
Easier to ignore than encourage.
There’s only Pete who’s had the guts to name anyone.
On another note BiM summed it up perfectly imo.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I try to type and post how I would speak to people in person, hopefully in a civil and polite manner although sometimes I get it wrong.
Are there trolls on this forum? Of course there are. Do they feel hard done by when admonished? Of course they do.
Those posters who I feel go out of their way to create issues I try to avoid having much to do with, but will admit sometimes I get sucked in.

Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aren’t you just as guilty when you “entertain” pinseeker and encourage his waffle, not actually naming him is also as bad as his post above not naming LP.
Easier to ignore than encourage.
There’s only Pete who’s had the guts to name anyone.
On another note BiM summed it up perfectly imo.
It’s not about naming people, that’s counterproductive, but thanks for telling me how to behave 👍

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s not about naming people, that’s counterproductive, but thanks for telling me how to behave 👍
Didn’t tell you how to behave, asked you a question.
Not sure how naming someone is counterproductive when you asked Fragger the question you did.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn’t tell you how to behave, asked you a question.
Not sure how naming someone is counterproductive when you asked Fragger the question you did.
No question mark? You can either kick off or have a chuckle, maybe you should try the latter??? (This is a question) it’s not poster specific because a few do it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I quite like this forum, and I will openly state I will sit on the fence on most discussions. Does that mean I cannot make a decision. No it means I can see both sides of the discussion, which usually turns into an arguement ( on here). Plus it's is nigh on impossible to sit on the fence holding a shovel, which some on here use for digging a deeper and deeper hole. I started a post the other week where I had blocked someone on here, someone who quite frankly I thought was a pig ignorant wind up merchant. It was easier for me to do that than engage in there little negative games.
Re not changing ones mind, don't understand that one bit. The world changes from day to day, attitudes, opinions, views and should as well. Not just that, some people's views are based upon personal experience. An experience you might not of been fortunate or unfortunate to have had yourself. Does that make you right or wrong.
Loads of responses on here I have been nodding me head at.

D

Deleted member 16999

No question mark? You can either kick off or have a chuckle, maybe you should try the latter??? (This is a question) it’s not poster specific because a few do it.
Or third choice, ignore them, I’m getting good at ignoring some keyboard warriors (not poster specific).
Is your tactic of having bantz with pinseeker working?

D

Deleted member 16999

Don’t know? Ask him, it’s less boring than being angry 👍
But it takes the threads off track and add nothing as you asked Fragger, or is it different when you do it?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Again, bad form from you as a mod to bring something in private into the public realm. I won’t address the matter here beyond stating my disagreement that you’d do so.

I’m seeking no absolution from anyone.

I didn’t start this thread and I didn’t post the content of my message , just the gist.

when a mod sends a PM to a member regarding their posting style, it is for a very good reason, the member then has 2 choices

1 to acknowledge that there is a problem and to alter their posting style .

2 to claim that everyone else is wrong, they are right, they are being victimised and what a bad mod you are

Given that the mods have had some stick on this thread, it is important for the forum to be aware that the op was contacted about his posting style and chose to reject those comments.

He then reported the mod to the mods —-irony overload moment—-

And then started this thread.

I’ll just leave it there .....

Status
Not open for further replies.