Trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why? If I think I'm right, but I accept there's a small chance that I'm wrong, then the debate stays well natured. Blind refusal to accept that you may be wrong results in poor quality discussion. Bit pointless really.

This. It's a common issue on the Internet. People have an opinion and feel like they have to stick to it even if proven wrong or if they deep down know they're wrong. People identify by their beliefs and feel they HAVE to stick to them or they've "lost", it's utterly pointless. You see it a lot in online MMA communities, people are such big fans/haters of someone they refuse to change their opinion even when any sane person in the real world would. It's a bizarre thing about the internet and stops people from actually growing and learning.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh I wish I had the time (primarily) and inclination (secondary) to address this subject at more length.

The issues discussed here and how they manifest always comes down to human development issues, including, but not specifically self belief, self awareness, actual intellectual capacity (never measured by self) and contentment.

Only a very confident, knowledgeable and self aware person will acknowledge that their opinion is just that and based solely on their limited life experience and very much should be open to change. I don't wish to comment on the type of person who holds firm to a position, any position.

We should always strive for increased learning. Few people know that they know little

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Oh I wish I had the time (primarily) and inclination (secondary) to address this subject at more length.

The issues discussed here and how they manifest always comes down to human development issues, including, but not specifically self belief, self awareness, actual intellectual capacity (never measured by self) and contentment.

Only a very confident, knowledgeable and self aware person will acknowledge that their opinion is just that and based solely on their limited life experience and very much should be open to change. I don't wish to comment on the type of person who holds firm to a position, any position.

We should always strive for increased learning. Few people know that they know little

Condescending or what

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Why? If I think I'm right, but I accept there's a small chance that I'm wrong, then the debate stays well natured. Blind refusal to accept that you may be wrong results in poor quality discussion. Bit pointless really.
Oh, and if you're this way in real life then why does Brian's post say that you're not? Is he lying?

He’s not lying, but the conversations during a round of golf and in the bar afterwards don’t get as heated or as polarised as the topics on here so it’s not very likely to happen in that situation.

The very nature of an Internet forum is that distinct conversations get withheld and one criticism of mods on this forum would be that they locked things that go “off topic” even though that’s when proper conversation breaks out and people can actually have a good natter.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't have any problem with you sticking to your point of view on subjects but it's the way you post when anyone disagrees with you. If you just post the "that's my opinion and I'll not change it" then fine, but please do not try and ridicule those who don't share your views.

Like others have said, I'd be happy to play golf with you, but please don't think that our point that you (and others) would do well to come to a meet and see the camaraderie that we have. It doesn't mean that we all share the same views but the many people I've met off the forum almost to a man (and woman) have been great company

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Like others have said, I'd be happy to play golf with you, but please don't think that our point that you (and others) would do well to come to a meet and see the camaraderie that we have. It doesn't mean that we all share the same views but the many people I've met off the forum almost to a man (and woman) have been great company

Ah the old "you need to be one of the gang to be accepted" card eh :confused:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I assume that because we are all golfers, who lets be honest are the most honourable of all sports people, it is just impossible for there to be any trollies in our midst :love:

Wolf

Visit site
Ah the old "you need to be one of the gang to be accepted" card eh :confused:
I read Chris D point more along lines of those that have come to meets can have equally differing strong opinions just as the OP does but don't allow it to drag over into social meets and despite differing opinions are all adults who get on and enjoy the days out......

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I read Chris D point more along lines of those that have come to meets can have equally differing strong opinions just as the OP does but don't allow it to drag over into social meets and despite differing opinions are all adults who get on and enjoy the days out......

Fair enough if I misunderstood it, however my point stands.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Let’s see if we can keep this thread vaguely civil... ha!

I get called a troll a lot.

For those who don’t know a troll is someone who posts to get a reaction and will generally not be giving their true opinion or are greatly exaggerating it.

I am honestly NOT a troll. I see most situations in incredibly black and white terms therefore people who disagree will often find it hard to see my point of view because I will adopt quite a hardline stance on whatever I believe.

I also rarely change my mind - which leads me further consternation because people think that when they explain their view I will change to theirs and almost can’t believe that I haven’t so I must be trolling!

I don’t think many people on here troll. Definitely not as many as get accused of it. There is one obvious stand out for me who I will only go so far as to identity as someone who was banned and seems to have returned with a different username.

So... do you all think trolling is a big issue here or (like me) do you think people just need to learn that we can have widely varying opinions and it doesn’t always mean someone is goading you?

I think on here there is one blatant troll, the. Maybe half a dozen who use the forum primarily as it should be, but will also happily try to point score on a thread against a poster irrespective of their stand point on said thread.

Re your persona, I think in real life having strong opinions that you resolutely stick to is generally fine. But on a forum where debate is key and it is all about opinions. Nobody can be right all the time, so those unwilling to debate lose some of their validity (to me at least).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t think there are many trolls on here but there are a few obvious ones - but they don’t really get stuck into the debates , you normally see them following people trying to get a little reaction from people but don’t actually add anything of any substance to the debate

The forum is full of people with strong opinions and yep at Times I am just as guilty to go on and been strong in my own opinion but I think on the whole most try even if their opinion is strong try and post without the need to belittle or insult other posters.

The trolls on the Internet you at times wonder why they bother with forums because they don’t appear to show much interest in the subjects but just to look to get a reaction and they stick out like a sore thumb.

There will always be people who are accused of trolling and I have no doubt had it but whilst I have strong opinions and go on too much I never post to intentionally wind people up or insult them and I suspect that’s the same for 99% of the forum
I find you do exactly what you object to. You often play the person rather than the ball. You will no doubt disagree.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you actually imagine this being your life, going onto a golf forum 3-4 times a day to just troll someone connected with football? Its actually quite sad really, but how he has gotten away with it for 4-5 years I'll never know. I'm not even sure if he actually plays much golf.

This may get pulled, but every word is true.

Also, for those that hide behind the " well I just like to say it how it is" mantra. So do most of us, but the ones who come across a little bit better are the ones who put 20% "tact" in it as well. A heady brew. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
Things escalate when people take things the wrong way. A tongue in cheek remark can be taken as a blatant insult and then it just spirals out of control. A sense of humour, relative thick skin and an understanding of banter are pretty much essential on any forum these days... and then we have the snowflakes unfortunately.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair enough if I misunderstood it, however my point stands.

Your point only stands in your eyes, you DON'T have to do forum meets to be "in the gang and accepted", comparatively few attend meets compared to the number of forum members and very few get up people's noses enough to be banned. Take Cabby, for example, he was around just before your time and he just kept posting in a manner that was bound to pee people off and after so long the Mods decided enough was enough and for the sake of the forum gave him the red card. It would be a great shame if the likes if him were to be in the majority on here and cow up the forum by turning every thread toxic

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Amanda got it spot on- no problem with people having strong opinions, but it does stifle discussion somewhat and makes for tiresome reading.

The banality of the subjects which often result in shouts of 'troll' are what gets me.

I also get RandG's gripe about cliques on here, but it's near impossible to relate to others online when you have met, played and sank a few beers with them previously. In that respect, I 'get' how an insider/outside situation arises- but it's only by virtue of friendships made in person, not a deliberate strategy to isolate others.

I'm very much a pacifist online- if things get too heated, I tend to leave the topic to others. Why? Because I spend the majority of the working week dealing with conflict, attempting to support others to understand my point of view as a means of reducing significant risk to themselves and their children. I have absolutely no time for it when I come home and would question exactly what benefit anyone would get from spending their down-time engaging in that type of discussion online. Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.