Trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Let’s see if we can keep this thread vaguely civil... ha!

I get called a troll a lot.

For those who don’t know a troll is someone who posts to get a reaction and will generally not be giving their true opinion or are greatly exaggerating it.

I am honestly NOT a troll. I see most situations in incredibly black and white terms therefore people who disagree will often find it hard to see my point of view because I will adopt quite a hardline stance on whatever I believe.

I also rarely change my mind - which leads me further consternation because people think that when they explain their view I will change to theirs and almost can’t believe that I haven’t so I must be trolling!

I don’t think many people on here troll. Definitely not as many as get accused of it. There is one obvious stand out for me who I will only go so far as to identity as someone who was banned and seems to have returned with a different username.

So... do you all think trolling is a big issue here or (like me) do you think people just need to learn that we can have widely varying opinions and it doesn’t always mean someone is goading you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is some trolling but not huge amounts. What there is imho is way too much "I'm right, you're wrong and I'll keep on arguing that until the cow's come home!" On and on and on until finally one party gives up the will to live - most other forum members having long since given it up.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is a problem on here but guess that is the nature of internet forums. I get accused of trolling but I'm not, I just have a very low tolerance for BS and I'll call it out when I smell it.

Be interesting to see how this thread pans out........

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rules about trolling on here are loose to say the least.
It’s just happened on the football thread but no action will be taken.
It’s seems we need a mod with some balls to ban people,although generally they are very fair.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think its about how an opinion or criticism is delivered. If someone gives a very blunt, and at times denigrating response, they are (potentially) going to be accused of trolling. And when an opinion differs widely from the social norm, I think some people are sceptical about whether or not its trolling or just an extreme opinion.

Do we have trolls on here? Yes. Are some too sensitive when accused of it? Probably, but if they are going to be blunt or denigrating it will come their way. Will some get away with it? Obviously. Its a difficult thing to prove. "What, me ref?"

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

For those who don’t know a troll is someone who posts to get a reaction and will generally not be giving their true opinion or are greatly exaggerating it.

I am honestly NOT a troll. I see most situations in incredibly black and white terms therefore people who disagree will often find it hard to see my point of view because I will adopt quite a hardline stance on whatever I believe.

I also rarely change my mind - which leads me further consternation because people think that when they explain their view I will change to theirs and almost can’t believe that I haven’t so I must be trolling!

I don’t think many people on here troll. Definitely not as many as get accused of it. There is one obvious stand out for me who I will only go so far as to identity as someone who was banned and seems to have returned with a different username.

So... do you all think trolling is a big issue here or (like me) do you think people just need to learn that we can have widely varying opinions and it doesn’t always mean someone is goading you?
Ok, I'll say it as you asked.
No, you're not a troll, but sometimes, your communication style is beyond blunt and appears condescending and arrogant. I don't know if it's intentional or not (I suspect not).

You are very far from the worst for it though.

And yes, I can be the same way sometimes, but I've made an effort to be more conciliatory recently.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I get accused of trolling but I'm not, I just have a very low tolerance for BS and I'll call it out when I smell it.

Have you hacked my account :ROFLMAO:

Have you hacked my account :ROFLMAO:

There is one obvious stand out for me who I will only go so far as to identity as someone who was banned and seems to have returned with a different username.

I'm lead to believe there has been a number of people banned from here and returned using a different name, I personally think they should be stoned to death. :rolleyes:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
No, you're not a troll, but sometimes, your communication style is beyond blunt and appears condescending and arrogant. I don't know if it's intentional or not (I suspect not).

And yes, I can be the same way sometimes, but I've made an effort to be more conciliatory recently.

It’s not exactly unintentional - I hate when people set out to be offended and act like their opinion is sacrosanct and not there to be challenged so I will be incredibly direct when I think someone is demonstrably incorrect or on terrible moral ground.

But then I only expect the same back.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not exactly unintentional - I hate when people set out to be offended and act like their opinion is sacrosanct and not there to be challenged so I will be incredibly direct when I think someone is demonstrably incorrect or on terrible moral ground.

But then I only expect the same back.
Do you accept that you're wrong sometimes?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I think the biggest issue by your own admission here is that if people disagree you take a hardline stance. It's a forum and I'm afraid on most subjects there will be conflicting views to yours (or else if we all agreed it would be very boring) but by adopting the manner you do, it does give off some very negative vibes and if I'm being honest does get peoples backs up. In my opinion, if you're going to be instransigent on a thread and accept other peoples conflicting views you will always come across poorly and get peoples backs up and if your unwilling to accept alternative views, perhaps less could be more. It's not always a case of people trying to get you to accept their view, simply that they don't hold the same view as you do

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I've played golf with Mark on a few occasions, and also attended meets he's been at. He's great company, great sense of humour and likes a decent beer. But I do find it strange that he posts in the style he does, which does on occasion lead me to question whether or not he's being deliberately awkward or just down right trolling.

Would I play golf with him again? Absolutely. Would I invite him to a 4 ball with some of the people he's rubbed up the wrong way to the nth degree? No way, not in a month of Sundays.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t think there are many trolls on here but there are a few obvious ones - but they don’t really get stuck into the debates , you normally see them following people trying to get a little reaction from people but don’t actually add anything of any substance to the debate

The forum is full of people with strong opinions and yep at Times I am just as guilty to go on and been strong in my own opinion but I think on the whole most try even if their opinion is strong try and post without the need to belittle or insult other posters.

The trolls on the Internet you at times wonder why they bother with forums because they don’t appear to show much interest in the subjects but just to look to get a reaction and they stick out like a sore thumb.

There will always be people who are accused of trolling and I have no doubt had it but whilst I have strong opinions and go on too much I never post to intentionally wind people up or insult them and I suspect that’s the same for 99% of the forum

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Up until you started this thread I thought you just spoke as you found but now you seem to need self affirmation?
You are blunt and I’m sure you wouldn’t talk to people to their face the way you post but that’s just the joy of the internet.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Up until you started this thread I thought you just spoke as you found but now you seem to need self affirmation?
You are blunt and I’m sure you wouldn’t talk to people to their face the way you post but that’s just the joy of the internet.

Yes I would. I don’t dilute my opinions in real life.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
That doesn't mean you're right though, does it?

A wise man once told me "Only a moron claims anything with 100% certainty"..
No it doesn’t but when I believe I’m right I’ll stick to my guns. I’d expect anyone to do the same.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
No it doesn’t but when I believe I’m right I’ll stick to my guns. I’d expect anyone to do the same.
Why? If I think I'm right, but I accept there's a small chance that I'm wrong, then the debate stays well natured. Blind refusal to accept that you may be wrong results in poor quality discussion. Bit pointless really.
Oh, and if you're this way in real life then why does Brian's post say that you're not? Is he lying?

Status
Not open for further replies.