Triple bogie, birdie, albatross ! It's a funny old game.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we're ever needing proof that this game defies explanation.....

Played at Mortonhall GC in Edinburgh with a pal this morning. Lovely day. Quiet course and good banter.

To be honest my golf was uninspiringl. Had started steadily but the greens were poor and nowt was happening early on. Contrived to score a triple bogie 7 on the short 6th hole and I was not in the best of humour afterwards.

I mentioned to my mate that a run of pars would be in order and promptly birdied the 7th with an outrageous putt from off the green. Good times.

The 8th hole is a 503 yard par 5, all downhill and always reachable in two. The trick is stopping it on the green with a long iron from a downhill lie. I hit a decent drive leaving 210 yards to the hole....

....and holed my 4 iron for an albatross 2. :D

Four under par for 2 holes and my second ever albatross. Probably have to wait another 20 years for the next one!

This game never fails to surprise me :D Its mental.

B

birdieman

Good stuff John. Never shot an albatross myself - brings years of bad luck apparently!...oh no sorry that's another kind of albatross. :rolleyes:

Bigger question - which would you prefer, an albatross on a par 5 or a hole-in-one eagle on a par 3 ?? :D

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well done JF! The nearest I've come to an albatross was a yard away and the longest club I've holed out with was a six-iron.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
- which would you prefer, an albatross on a par 5 or a hole-in-one eagle on a par 3 ??

Birdieman,

I don't care so long as I can see them go in the hole! That would be a nice change.

I've had one hole-in-1 and 2 albatrosses in my 28 years of golf and not seen any of them actually go in the hole because of the layout.

Is it too much to ask or am I just being greedy?

(Actually, today didn't feel as good as a hole in one. It's a strange bird, the old albatross, unless it's on a par 4)

:D

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
....and holed my 4 iron for an albatross 2. :D
Four under par for 2 holes and my second ever albatross. Probably have to wait another 20 years for the next one!
Well done, John - surprised you even remember that bad hole!enjoy the moment.

AliB

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two Albatrosses and a hole in one...I'd take a triple Bogey on every hole on my round tomorrow if it meant accumulating those during my golfing life :D.

Must be frustrating not seeing any of them go in...I take it you were looking around the edge of the green to see where the ball had gone each time, or do you get used to checking the cup first ;)?

Nice way to counter a triple though, well played!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yip, eaglehunter. Never think I'm lucky enough to hole them.

My 1st albatross was to a blind pin on an elevated plateau with a bowl green.

For the hole in one I thought the ball had gone past the hole into a dip....

.... but today neither of us had seen the ball go past the hole. It had been on the flag all the way but the bunker short of the green hid the bottom of the pin. Have to say that when I didn't see the ball on the green when we approached it I was pretty sure it was in the hole.

My playing partner lipped the hole for his eagle, too. THAT would have been a talking point. 5 under par between us for one hole would have to have been some sort of world record ! :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, Andy.

Funny old round. Scored an 80. Not sure whether that's bad with a birdie and an albatross or good with a triple and a double !!

And of course I was aiming for the hole....not.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Superb,reminds me of when I started our back 9 3 2 3 birdie albatross birdie and I had gone out in 1 under so put me at -6!! :mad: Finished at level,definately my strangest ever round.