Touch/Feel - can it be taught/learned?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think some of short game is inherently natural. However a player can definitely work on some basics and once they have a repeatable short game stroke, look at being more imaginative but more importantly focus on landing spots. I sometimes place a small bag towel on the green about 10 feet onto the putting green and try and land balls on it with all the different clubs. Great for getting use to picking a spot but also a quick guide to how far each club runs out

njt1986

Visit site
Yeah I mean, bump & run type shots from the fringe I’m ok with, I tend to leave myself a makeable putt most of the time, it’s the ones from the rough to left/right/back of the green that you have to flight up and onto the green but land soft enough that they don’t run a mile, for example, that I just can’t find any consistency with

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah I mean, bump & run type shots from the fringe I’m ok with, I tend to leave myself a makeable putt most of the time, it’s the ones from the rough to left/right/back of the green that you have to flight up and onto the green but land soft enough that they don’t run a mile, for example, that I just can’t find any consistency with
I feel the pain and have had similar problems. I try and drop balls into nasty lies around the putting green (usually clover) and then pitch to the flags on the upper section of the green so I have to play an aerial shot. We have little bushes that separate the edge of the ninth hole from the putting green and have been known to drop balls into the rough on the 9th and have to then go over the bushes. In my case, trying to have one standard method has simplified everything and I then play about with ball position and the face to manipulate flight.

I play the pat 18 game and drop 9 balls to 9 different targets and see how many I get up and down (par). Taking 3 is a bogey and holing the pitch/chip is a birdie. Make a record of the first attempt and then try to beat it each time. I tend to give myself three easy lies/pins, three medium and three really hard (usually worse lie or tightest flags)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Play the percentage shot into the middle of the green.
Even the pros don’t go at the flag all the time out of the rough.
A solid technique to play to the centre takes big scores off the card.

njt1986

Visit site
Play the percentage shot into the middle of the green.
Even the pros don’t go at the flag all the time out of the rough.
A solid technique to play to the centre takes big scores off the card.

Sorry I’m probably not being completely clear when writing up, my fault.
I don’t attack the flag, I’m dog s**t! I know I just don’t have that in my locker at all.

What I mean is, if I’m off the back of the green, pin is located front of the green, and I’m having to pitch it up and over a mound, then my thought is, generally, to get it over the mound and on the green as soon as possible. I know I don’t have the ability to control the ball to land it closer to the flag and stop it.

However, what I find is that I can’t seem to consistently get the ball to roll out. So if I played the same shot 10x in a row, I’d probably scuff 3 into the mound, 3 too long and roll off the green the opposite side, 3 ridiculously short after landing on the green and maybe 1 of those 10 shots would roll out half way to the flag or closer.

So, you know, 4/10 shots would be on the green at least, but I want to be closer to maybe 7/10 of those shots being on the green and at least half way to the pin, even if that still leaves a 10ft+ putt, it’s better than a 20ft putt

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don’t attack the flag, I’m dog s**t! I know I just don’t have that in my locker at all.

What I mean is, if I’m off the back of the green, pin is located front of the green, and I’m having to pitch it up and over a mound, then my thought is, generally, to get it over the mound and on the green as soon as possible. I know I don’t have the ability to control the ball to land it closer to the flag and stop it.

However, what I find is that I can’t seem to consistently get the ball to roll out. So if I played the same shot 10x in a row, I’d probably scuff 3 into the mound, 3 too long and roll off the green the opposite side, 3 ridiculously short after landing on the green and maybe 1 of those 10 shots would roll out half way to the flag or closer.

So, you know, 4/10 shots would be on the green at least, but I want to be closer to maybe 7/10 of those shots being on the green and at least half way to the pin, even if that still leaves a 10ft+ putt, it’s better than a 20ft putt
Give my towel drill a go. Put it 10 feet on the green and try and pitch the ball onto it with a load of different clubs and see how far each runs out. With practice you can then pick a club that will still get it over the mound but will then roll out the desired length

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ok that’s a ball striking problem.
My dad was a pro footballer and he taught me to wander around the house with a ball at my feet.
This made me comfortable at all times with a ball.
When I started golf quite late 28/29 ish I carried a club around all the time.
I used to hit those sponge balls during adverts etc.
Only if the missus and kids are out lol.
You must improve your ball striking if you can’t play these shots.
No short cuts really ,solid mechanics and practice, a lesson will help as we can’t see what your doing.
Do you know any low cappers they could probably help with basics.