Top courses UK

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The last time I played Turnberry we were chatting to a group of Americans who told us that it was cheaper to fly to Prestwick from New York and play Turnberry Prestwick and Troon, than it was to play courses on the East Coast of the USA.
That's bonkers. That part of the US must be pretty scary.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yip, maybe 2 hands then ?

Take your socks off to help ??

The overriding point though is that the UK and Ireland are blessed with some of the best golf courses in the World and we should be very blessed that we can play 99.9% of them with no issues

Reactions: Val

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take your socks off to help ??

The overriding point though is that the UK and Ireland are blessed with some of the best golf courses in the World and we should be very blessed that we can play 99.9% of them with no issues

Spot on, most of us will have our favourites and many of us will have similar in our top 10's. We are very spoiled in the UK.........especially Scotland ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Links golf is sooooo overrated. Much of it is crazy golf without the windmills.

You only need to play 2 or 3 links courses and you’ve played them all.

You need imagination to play links golf properly which certainly is not the case for dull, boring parkland golf.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My course describes itself thus; "The front nine offers a traditional links challenge, whilst the back nine, with its numerous lakes, adds water to the equation" so I think you can safely say that it's better than any of the Scottish and Irish courses. :p

(And I think we had an American visitor two years ago (y) )

D

Deleted member 15344

You need imagination to play links golf properly which certainly is not the case for dull, boring parkland golf.

Again not always so true is it - lots of the elements to both types of golf course and also including Heathland as well

You can play a links course on a calm day and see it being destroyed , or you could play a round at a parkland and spend all day losing balls

And certainly had to use imagination playing both links and parkland courses

Reactions: Val

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Again not always so true is it - lots of the elements to both types of golf course and also including Heathland as well

You can play a links course on a calm day and see it being destroyed , or you could play a round at a parkland and spend all day losing balls

And certainly had to use imagination playing both links and parkland courses

Is there no rough on a links course?
At my place, in the summer especially, we have heavy rough, challenging bunkers (100 exactly), a boundary wall a danger on 5 holes and the sea an possible issue on 6 holes as well.

D

Deleted member 23270

Well, we have a lot of wealthy people who play at my club.

I once spoke to a group who had come from the states in their own private aircraft.

Perhaps the most famous basketball player has also played at my club. Michael Jordan, that is.
What percentage of American visitors to the UK&I call in at your course? And which course is it?

D

Deleted member 23270

Sorry but I don't really agree with that at all, they certainly don't all come over just to play the Open or big named courses, not in my experience anyway
Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK so you will obviously get a few but I'm afraid your course isn't one of the main attractions for them.

The type of course absolutely is the main attraction for most golfing visitors to Scotland, it's proximity to other very top courses suggests Dunbar may well get a good share of overseas visitors. It's a lovely golf course, tough challenge.