Top courses UK

D

Deleted member 23270

A few do but most just want to play the best courses.
They know what they are doing and a growing number now want to play the secondary courses like Cruden Bay, Dunbar, North Berwick, Barassie, Western Gailes, Gullane, Dornoch. etc.etc,etc,etc.
Some of these courses are already full up to visitors for this season.
No James is right, they aren't really interested in the secondary courses. They come over for a week or two weeks and want to cram in all the big name courses.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder why the discerning big spending Yankee Fourballs dodge England and Wales and prefer to spend their money on the Scots and Irish courses.;)

The last time I played Turnberry we were chatting to a group of Americans who told us that it was cheaper to fly to Prestwick from New York and play Turnberry Prestwick and Troon, than it was to play courses on the East Coast of the USA.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
They know what they are doing and a growing number now want to play the secondary courses like Cruden Bay, Dunbar, North Berwick, Barassie, Western Gailes, Gullane, Dornoch. etc.etc,etc,etc.

Not sure Dornoch is a 'secondary course'........

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s no different to some of the best courses in England and Wales - Americans flock to the likes of Hoylake , Birkdale , Lytham , Sunningdale, RSG , Rye , West Sussex etc and then look to play any manner of secondary courses near those

I know you struggle to see past the wall but the rest of the golfing world can

And there is no world were Dornoch and Cruden bay are secondary courses

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
If up in the Highlands, my top 3 would be Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart and Nairn.
Plenty of other superb courses as well depending how long your trip is.
Plenty flights to Inverness from all the London airports as well ???

A good choice, if you're up that far, I'd add Brora to that list as well

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Except in the 'Membership of The Open roster' category. That category has additional criteria as well as 'qualityof the test' - e.g. access and ability to support masses of spectators.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

You really haven’t got a clue if you think Royal Dornoch is a secondary course…

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Except in the 'Membership of The Open roster' category. That category has additional criteria as well as 'qualityof the test' - e.g. access and ability to support masses of spectators.

I didn't know infrastructure to hold the open was a criteria for primary and secondary courses. Dornoch seems to make most top 10 lists without that criteria.

evemccc

Visit site
That’s no different to some of the best courses in England and Wales - Americans flock to the likes of Hoylake , Birkdale , Lytham , Sunningdale, RSG , Rye , West Sussex etc and then look to play any manner of secondary courses near those

I know you struggle to see past the wall but the rest of the golfing world can

I’m pleased that golf at higher echelon courses in England aren’t (IMO) as packed full of American fourballs as the top courses of Scotland and Ireland

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No James is right, they aren't really interested in the secondary courses. They come over for a week or two weeks and want to cram in all the big name courses.

For the first visit yes, after that they come back for the second choice courses [secondary]
Way back in time a group of mega rich Swedes came over every year for a fortnight's golf.
They only played the championship courses once then enjoyed themselves on the easier courses
[like Dunbar, Western Gailes etc. :eek:;):unsure::cry::D maybe not Dornoch in a gale]

PS In an earlier life I was involved in Scottish golf tourism
It may surprise you to know that some American packages used to offer four rounds over four different Open Championship courses over two days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

For the first visit yes, after that they come back for the second choice courses [secondary]
Way back in time a group of mega rich Swedes came over every year for a fortnight's golf.
They only played the championship courses once then enjoyed themselves on the easier courses
[like Dunbar, Western Gailes etc. :eek:;):unsure::cry::D maybe not Dornoch in a gale]

PS In an earlier life I was involved in Scottish golf tourism
It may surprise you to know that some American packages used to offer four rounds over four different Open Championship courses over two days.
I'm not really sure why you are quoting one group of people. Literally thousands of rich overseas players come to the UK&I every year and they primarily head to Scotland, Dublin, SW Ireland and the Open rota courses. It is the big name links they are interested in. As good as dozens of 'second rate' courses are, they really aren't interested in them.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not really sure why you are quoting one group of people. Literally thousands of rich overseas players come to the UK&I every year and they primarily head to Scotland, Dublin, SW Ireland and the Open rota courses. It is the big name links they are interested in. As good as dozens of 'second rate' courses are, they really aren't interested in them.
Well, we have a lot of wealthy people who play at my club.

I once spoke to a group who had come from the states in their own private aircraft.

Perhaps the most famous basketball player has also played at my club. Michael Jordan, that is.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The Americans are by far the biggest 'rich' visiting golf group to Scotland.
Quite a few have now become sophisticated and have a good knowledge of the 'hidden gems' and pride themselves by going home and spreading the word.
Helicopter trips from Prestwick to Kintyre, Islay, Jura and the NI courses are quite common.

AliMc

Visit site
Sorry but I don't really agree with that at all, they certainly don't all come over just to play the Open or big named courses, not in my experience anyway

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its somewhere in the middle I think. The point about Scotlands drop off to second tier after the best ten is valid. Irelands hold up better in its top 30 or so even outside Portrush, county Down, Ballybunnion etc so a stronger position than Scotland. But England still has better and more top level courses than both.

Nonsense

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Successful marketing - Americans are looking for the 'real Links' experience and associate it with Scotland and Ireland. And not at all to the same degree with England,.

That's because Scotland and Ireland have the best links. Once you leave the Merseyside and Lancs coast you count the rest of the best on E&W on 1 hand

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That's because Scotland and Ireland have the best links. Once you leave the Merseyside and Lancs coast you count the rest of the best on E&W on 1 hand

Links golf is sooooo overrated. Much of it is crazy golf without the windmills.

You only need to play 2 or 3 links courses and you’ve played them all.

D

Deleted member 15344

Kent , Norfolk , Devon , Cornwall , Somerset , South Wales , West Wales all have quality top links courses as well