Top button fastened or not?

Do you fasten the top button of your shirt when not wearing a tie

• Total voters

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As seems to be the latest fashion, when wearing a normal shirt, or a polo shirt, the top button is fastened, no tie is being worn and to me it just sees scruffy, untidy and unfinished. It looks even worse when a normal shirt is worn with a dress jacket.

To me, if I have my top button fastened I'm wearing a shirt and tie, top button on a polo shirt never gets fastened.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Been around a while "down sarf" mate

Remember first seeing it on Gavin and Stacey - mainly with polo shirts

Think I even remember seeing it on Green Street ?

Does look awful

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on how old you are. As a slightly overweight 35 year old man i would say that it would look ridiculous on me but if you are 18, built like a racing snake and trying to be cool then it probably works.

D

Deleted member 16999

Bubba looks very odd with his top button fastened whilst wearing a Polo

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Depends on the style of shirt. With a tie top button undone. Tie used to mark collar tight enough. Golf polo, top button undone. Going out polo shirt (green street as you will). Hugo Boss, YSL, DIESEL etc. then top done up.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not buttoned up even with a tie

I think historically the tie was around first to keep the shirt closed when there wasn't a button

There's no need to do both a tie & a button they perform the same function

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
is it not one of those fashion things that comes round every 30 years. I remember this being done mid 80's. if you look at photo's of the Jesus and Mary chain or Jonny Marr at the time they did this as did i.

But Not now, though i do have the top button of a golf shirt done up if its under a jumper in winter.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMHO of course - Buttoning up the top button on a polo makes anyone look worse. Some lucky folks look so good already they get away with it - the rest of us need all the help we can get so stay unbuttoned.

and as for carrying/wearing a satchel diagonally across your body - don't get me started........