Todays stars vs yesteryears...........

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing today and mind wandered, who would you go out of your way to watch, Mclroy Woods and Phil spring to mind, and getting to see them is hard , I used to go and see Faldo, Norman, Woosie, Seve, langer even Lyle, all had a some personality, yes even Faldo, some had great flair and they all had loads of aura, I still go to wentworth but to me the good old days were the defo, the best.

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you're right about personalities, which is one of the reasons I'm pleased to see Stenson doing so well. He isn't necessarily full of flair and excitement, but he has an aura that makes him very engaging to watch.

I feel like maybe the golfer's are a little more detached then they used to be, which is the case in many sports. The money involved I think changes everything. When you're playing for the amounts they do nowadays they probably don't feel they can relax and interact with the crowd!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you're right about personalities, which is one of the reasons I'm pleased to see Stenson doing so well. He isn't necessarily full of flair and excitement, but he has an aura that makes him very engaging to watch.

I feel like maybe the golfer's are a little more detached then they used to be, which is the case in many sports. The money involved I think changes everything. When you're playing for the amounts they do nowadays they probably don't feel they can relax and interact with the crowd!

They're also photographed, filmed & recorded. Put a foot wrong and it's all over tw@tter in minutes, it's not worth the risk.

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stenson's a great character in today's game, seems like a really funny bloke. There was an interview with him shown on the golf yesterday and he said he'd bought an electric shock pen in Shanghai at the WGC and asked players and commentators for their emails and gave them the pen. His best scalp was Robert Lee apparently!

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree. Plenty of others like Barnes, Darcy etc. Use to like Trevino too. There are still some characters like Jimenez and Poulter so it isn't all doom and gloom and identikit golf

Poulter is a bit of a nob tbh

Jimenez on the other hand is a quality bloke , as is Westwood

Westwood and McIlroy used to chat on 606 Message boards to us mere mortals.