TM New Original One Driver launch

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It does look nice (even from underneath) I'd even go as far as saying it doesn't look like a Taylormade club... so it has that going for it too :sneaky:

But pricey though at £370 but I'm sure it'll drop soon enough

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aren't these mini drivers fairly one dimensional and fill a gap that is only there to be filled by those that will use it as their main driver? I wonder if anyone that bought the original SLDR/Aeroburner mini driver still has one in the bag, or if they've ended up going back to a forgiving driver and a 3-wood that is actually usable consistently off the deck.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Aren't these mini drivers fairly one dimensional and fill a gap that is only there to be filled by those that will use it as their main driver? I wonder if anyone that bought the original SLDR/Aeroburner mini driver still has one in the bag, or if they've ended up going back to a forgiving driver and a 3-wood that is actually usable consistently off the deck.

I loved mine (aeroburner). Snapped the shaft around the time AG had there original discount sale and ended getting so many driver n 3 Woods I finally settled on a traditional set up.

Don't actually think my driver goes any further than the mini did. But the 3 Wood is certainly better of the deck.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If it was a choice between my Ping G 410 three wood and a mini driver. Al keep me Ping and £100 in my pocket. If i can hit my 3 wood. Anyone can. My word if caution would be “ TM sales patter is better than there clubs
”.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it was a choice between my Ping G 410 three wood and a mini driver. ...

But that isn't really the choice. As Dan put very well in his post.

They are fundamentally driver substitutes not 3 wood substitutes - and this new offering is even more focused on that than the previous iterations. The SLDR mini is like hitting a driver off the deck (even at 16°¿) the Aero tried to be a little more useable in that respect but immediately compromised the original premise.

This one looks much more like a simple driver replacement - the shaft length has crept up as has the head size.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've had a couple of these "mini drivers" down the years and I'm not hugely convinced by them - certainly for me.
I've always been able to get almost as much off the tee with a 3 wood which I can also use off the deck.
Your average Joe isn't going to get good results using this from anywhere but the tee.
If I used a 13° 3 wood I'd probably get the same distance but at a 3 wood price...£329(probably) in the shops....it's a lot.
Virtually the same length shaft as a 3 wood too.

Tashyboy

Visit site
But that isn't really the choice. As Dan put very well in his post.

They are fundamentally driver substitutes not 3 wood substitutes - and this new offering is even more focused on that than the previous iterations. The SLDR mini is like hitting a driver off the deck (even at 16°¿) the Aero tried to be a little more useable in that respect but immediately compromised the original premise.

This one looks much more like a simple driver replacement - the shaft length has crept up as has the head size.
But duncan and as i mentioned. The TM talk is better than its clubs and are they trying to re invent the wheel. My 3 wood is ideal off tee and ground ar 17degrees.

D

Deleted member 15344

But duncan and as i mentioned. The TM talk is better than its clubs and are they trying to re invent the wheel. My 3 wood is ideal off tee and ground ar 17degrees.
That’s complete nonsense- TM talk ?! What’s that supposed to be ?

Their clubs are superb especially the Woods , the Mini Driver is something many of the brands have released over the years and it’s not aimed to “replace” a three wood. A lot of times the Mini Driver for some is a bit easier to hit than a main driver , helps keep the dispersion tighter whilst going a bit further than a 3 wood.

I have had the odd go at then before - and do exactly what they say on the tin . It’s a niche little area of the market that will help some people - Mickelson is the perfect example of someone who has used these type of clubs along with his 3 wood

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Using a personal opinion that you have just posted to support a subsequent view is somewhat strange....then again are you sure you even have that 3 wood as that model didn't have a 17° option when I looked ...

Tashyboy

Visit site
Using a personal opinion that you have just posted to support a subsequent view is somewhat strange....then again are you sure you even have that 3 wood as that model didn't have a 17° option when I looked ...

Sft 3 wood 👍

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had the Aeroburner Mini which I enjoyed however have got much more consistent with the driver so whilst i'd probably have a hit of this to see how it went I doubt I'd put it in the bag. It's also pretty expensive at £349.99!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Be interested to try this alongside my Ping Rapture which I use both off the tee and off the fairway but still keep a driver and a 3 wood in the bag.

I love shallow faced woods for play off the turf but hate them off the tee so if I've got a tight lie then the f/way wood will come out....but if the ball is sat up just a half inch or so then the Rapture is just a joy to hit.

Likewise if I want driver like distance but have a need for a bit more accuracy then then Rapture will be played off a low tee instead of a normal driver shot.

The TM and Callaway mini-driver offerings about 5 years ago were fine off the tee but not very consistent off the turf. The Rapture (and if you think the TM Original One is expensive by todays standards at £370 then you'll be aghast to learn that the Rapture came in at £400 five years ago) is far easier to hit off the turf and launches the ball like a rocket.....sure it still needs handling with a bit of care and will punish you for a shoddy swing but it is one of those clubs that seems to have got things "just about right".

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I grew up with 'mini drivers' (by head size) and I am someone that found moving to larger size heads a bit of struggle. The M4 I currently have in the bag is the first time that there has a been a 460cc head driver in the bag.

The main thing for me is how much technology now goes in to all woods to make them more 'usable'. I notice that these will come with an adjustable hosel. Something you did not get in TM M4 fairway woods.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a couple of guys that have their mini drivers in the bag and one can hit it a country mile. He feels it gives him a little more control and he feels he can control it better than a standard model.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a shame that it’s only available in 13.5 loft here. Whilst there is a 11.5 version in America. Wouldn’t have minded trying the 11.5 and winding it down.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pointless for most people.
Very tricky to launch off the ground, no less forgiving than the likes of a G410 driver and won't go much (any?) further than a well fitted 3 wood.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Just seen the price of these RRP £399 discounted to £349, I bought one of these one they 1st launched them it was £179, equipment companies are taking the mick