Titleist Vokey Fitting

• Thread starter Deleted member 15717
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15717

Decided to book a Vokey fitting for the SM7. Not done a wedge fitting, but have done iron and putter! Heading along to the National Fitting Centre at St Ives, so expectations are high.

Anyone gone through the process?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough Titleist are doing a Wedge Fitting at a couple of clubs close by to me in a couple of weeks time... was thinking about going along. If I do i'll let you know how it goes.

D

Deleted member 15717

I managed to get an appointment on Monday, which was the only one for a good few weeks, so check back in here for an update!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I wish I'd done this, I just did the computer matching on their website and I'm not convinced I've got what I'm truly suited to as they are totally different bounces to my mizzies, which are back in the bag currently as I'm struggling with the Vokeys!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did a fitting at my club with the Titleist fitter but, in truth, I was just doing it to make up the numbers as the weather was bad and not too many had asked to do it. It was pretty standard stuff, I hit 3 different lofts, his Trackman proved the gapping was correct and as I had Vokeys anyway I just was offered more or less the same grinds.

If you're wanting new wedges then it's great to get them properly fitted but I'd probably do the fitting then look for the same in the previous model and save a fair amount of cash as the new ones are mighty expensive and there seems to be plenty of SM 6's around. One concern was that the fitter said that Titleist recommend changing wedges every 70 or so rounds - so not much more than 6 months or so !!!

D

Deleted member 15717

I did a fitting at my club with the Titleist fitter but, in truth, I was just doing it to make up the numbers as the weather was bad and not too many had asked to do it. It was pretty standard stuff, I hit 3 different lofts, his Trackman proved the gapping was correct and as I had Vokeys anyway I just was offered more or less the same grinds.

If you're wanting new wedges then it's great to get them properly fitted but I'd probably do the fitting then look for the same in the previous model and save a fair amount of cash as the new ones are mighty expensive and there seems to be plenty of SM 6's around. One concern was that the fitter said that Titleist recommend changing wedges every 70 or so rounds - so not much more than 6 months or so !!!

I saw the video they released not so long ago. I am sure the same could be said for other wedges too, as the spin will inevitably drop off as grooves aren't as sharp. A friend said he found that Vokeys wear a bit quicker than other manufacturers, but I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens!

If I go to order, I have to make the decisions - Jet Black or Brushed Steel. The Jet Black are gorgeous, but not sure they'll stay that way for too long

D

Deleted member 15717

Had my fitting this evening. Quite interesting really, and Dan, the guy who fitted me, explained everything really well. Looked at my current gapping and fitted for gaps, rather than lofts. Played with bounces and heads, and came with a nice set up. Was nice to be able to hit them off grass to pins and see how the face can be manipulated and how easy they are to hit.
Came out with shafts I wouldn’t have thought of before, so well worth the visit

Just got to order them now!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
The jet black finished will last a little longer, volleys are very well known to wear quickly the face is a little softer than say MDS think thats why that are so controllable and spin so well, iv been watching a lot of videos on wedges and vokleys always seem to come out on top, I personally think black wedges look really good in the bag against the silver irons, what grinds did you end up with

D

Deleted member 15717

Ended with 50.08 in F grind, 54.08 in M grind (also weakened to 55°) and 60.10 in S grind

D

Deleted member 15344

Dragging this up

When i got fitted for new clubs i also got fitted for a set of Callaways MD4s - but over the months i have struggled with them , they dont seem very versatile doing many different shots with them so i but my old ZTPs back into the bag and the difference was clear.

So i looked around to see other wedges that were comparable and decided on the Vokeys

Went for a fitting yesterday and it was very good - impressed with St Ives set Up

Ended up getting a set of three all in the brushed steel

50 degree bent to 49 , 8 Degree Bounce and F grind , 54 10 degree S Grind and 58 8 Degree and M grind

All in DG Wedge Flex

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dragging this up

When i got fitted for new clubs i also got fitted for a set of Callaways MD4s - but over the months i have struggled with them , they dont seem very versatile doing many different shots with them so i but my old ZTPs back into the bag and the difference was clear.

So i looked around to see other wedges that were comparable and decided on the Vokeys

Went for a fitting yesterday and it was very good - impressed with St Ives set Up

Ended up getting a set of three all in the brushed steel

50 degree bent to 49 , 8 Degree Bounce and F grind , 54 10 degree S Grind and 58 8 Degree and M grind

All in DG Wedge Flex

54 or the 58 for the bunkers Phil?!?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I can understand the 56/10 as you want/need bounce for the bunker shots, but I’m not convinced 60/10 is a match, my mizzie was 60/05 so I could throw it up in the air off a bare lie, I wouldn’t want to try that currently with these hard surfaces were enduring with a 60/10.

I’m still having issues with my Vokeys, the bounces are an increase across all 3 wedges which I had before, so I’m struggling to adapt to them.

D

Deleted member 15344

54 or the 58 for the bunkers Phil?!?

A spade at the moment mate :rofl:

I have always used a 54 for bunker shots but the guy recommended that I trial and error using both dependent on the bunkers of that course , the bounce and grind on the 54 is right for my course but the 58 could well be the right one for a course with tighter bunker sand

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A spade at the moment mate :rofl:

I have always used a 54 for bunker shots but the guy recommended that I trial and error using both dependent on the bunkers of that course , the bounce and grind on the 54 is right for my course but the 58 could well be the right one for a course with tighter bunker sand

Haha! Tell me about it!!
I’ve resorted to a callaway sureout wedge at the min pal! It’s working for now after a lesson, but the sm7 58 with 14 deg bounce is what the online fitting says.... any excuse to buy something shiney!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Keep an eye out in the Forsale section as mine are being sold, put the mizzies back in over the weekend and I’ve got my mojo back, I’ve no confidence left in the Vokey’s so they’ve got to go.

PM me if anyone is interested in the latest Vokey’s, they’ve only been on the course a handful of times.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
. One concern was that the fitter said that Titleist recommend changing wedges every 70 or so rounds - so not much more than 6 months or so !!!

Blimey Chris, when I was fitted for my Mizunos last year the bloke looked at my 15 year old Vokey 60 degree and laughed his head off. ‘Do you get ANY spin around the greens?’ he asked me. I thought there was a good five years left in the Vokey too. 😂

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Had a fitting at a Titleist Thursday last week.
Gapped the wedges then tried different grinds around the practice green.
The difference the grinds made was unreal. Same loft, balls, lie and 18 handicap lump holding the club that's been chipping terribly recently. Tried 3 in the 60 and loved the D grind, that was checking with the other 2 releasing.
Definitely recommend a fitting no matter how sceptical or bad you think you are.