Titleist NXT Tour, thoughts?

ash01

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being a greenkeeper i've tested out all the premium balls and came to the conclusion that its the ProV1 or ProV1x for me.

They just seem better overall than the other premium balls. Having said that though, I would say that the Nike premium range offers great balls too.

Maybe its a branding thing and i'm stuck in the Titleist trend, although I do prefer them overall.

Ash!!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know why it is, but I can't tell the difference between any ball around the greens or off the putter.

I can say though, that the NXT's are super long and prefer them to Prov1's. Since I've been using them I have driven the ball further than I've ever done before.

I love 'em. :cool: :)

Golfmmad.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
i think Titleist balls in general are overpriced.
Good but too expensive.
When you can get ZStars, Bridgestones etc at less money - and I doubt if anyone can really, honestly tell the difference in a blind test!!

If you're after a cheaper, mid-range ball, the Bridgestone E5 is the one to have. It's the only Urethane covered 2-piece ball - similar cover to the Premium balls - so there's plenty of feel and spin and only about 20 quid a dozen.
I played one the other day and apart from a little less spin around the greens - not actually a bad thing - I could have been playing a ProV.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the Titlist "Ball Fitting", the recommended balls for me were the ProV1x and NXT Tour. Both very similar having less spin from tee and fairway but enough around the green (work that one out :D).

They definitely do not slice/draw as much as the more "premium" balls and is it any co-incidence that you rarely pick up ProV1x or NXT Tour balls in the rough or deep where the sun don't shine ???

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had never really noticed much difference in balls untill recently, I used to like the ad333 but started to notice the horrible click when putting. I had a bag of prov.'s I had been too scared to use so chucked some in the bag and the difference on the green was amazing. Obviously can't afford to loose many but also had a bag of Nxt tours and found them very similar. On the cheaper end I prefer the soft feels, I did play with a couple of wilsons which were nice so I'm trying to get a couple of sleeves to test a bit more.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm switching back and forward between NXT Tour and AD333's at the moment. To me...

Both offer the same distance but the Tours are a little softer off the putter face.

Oddly I find the slightly harder, clickyness of the 333 to work better for my putting for some reason. Perhaps it's because ive spent the majority of my game life using cheaper balls and feel more like I know where I am with a more solid contact. I certainly don't have enough sensitivity to benefit from whatever additonal level of touch there is to be had from a premium ball.

The other thing about the tour is that they seem to cut up/scuff quite quickly and certainly quicker than the 333's.Not many surprises there I suppose.

Ive not really made my mind up at the moment but overall the 333's seem to be the one I would hedge for at the moment.

I wouldn't mind adding a Wilson Staff ball into the mix and this E5 sounds interesting. The Cally HX bite sounds good too but Ive never actually been in a shop where they have any for sale.

It's a tough one finding 'the holy grail' of golf balls to use for any given standard/style of player and very subjective.

Ive played with Penta's and v1's too but the truth of the matter is that with a swing speed of about 85mph I really doubt if I'm getting the best out of them and on my budget it makes me wince when I loose one.

One thing I'm pretty sure about though is that having found a ball that suits, it's probably makes sense to stick with it for a season if for nothing else than continuity.

I played a round with a mate the other day who uses pro Vs and belts the ball so hard that i'm guessing he's pretty much up to the makers mark as far as compression at impact. Problem is that he can be quite wayward off the tee and if Ive understood the way these premium balls work (a big if) then all the lateral spin he's generating is being punished even more by the balls high spin rate.

It's a really important to get the right sort of ball up to a point and then beyond that, and having done so, I think there's a danger in over- analysing it.

Having said that I'm seriously thinking of taking some of the guesswork out of it and going for a ball fitting session. That way someone with both the tools and experience can narrow down the field for me without my ego or pride getting in the way.

edit: I'll LMAO if after a half hour session he declares the ball for me is a FOOTBALL (i.e give it up mate) or even better - a Donnay Platinum

billyg