Time and Motion Studies

YandaB

Visit site
With all the comments in various threads about slow play, I wondered if anyone has actually completed a set of time and motion studies to determine which particular aspect of play is really taking the time? I guess the measurement would be for a player and categories would be along the lines of:

1) Preparing to take a shot
2) Taking a shot
3) Waiting for fellow competitors to take shots (n times more than 1+2 it would be hoped)
4) Walking
5) Marking a card (should be part of #4 really)

Anything else?

My view is that #4 would be a huge percentage compared to the rest. The simple solution to faster rounds imho is "walk faster".

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know on here this has been covered many times and im sure someone can put up the link.

What really bugs me is people who want to rush a round of golf.

Most people in life rush around like flaming lunatics and take it to the golf course.

Golf is a game to be enjoyed,and enjoyed in other peoples company.
I believe 2 of my favorite rounds ever were 5 hours and in perfect company,cant think of many things better.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
No two fourballs would fit in the same "slot" when it comes to time and motion.
My suggestion is to time each fourball over say a month (only really works with regular playing memberships), then offer tee times based on their average round speed. Fastest/impatient are out early running through the time sheet to the slowest/most unbothered at the back.
I agree with Pokerjoke that I dont enjoy my round if I feel like I am running round or being pushed. Its my one time per week that I am away from the family, work etc that I can relax, I cant stand 5 hour games neither before anyone chirps in but feel there is a happy medium.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know on here this has been covered many times and im sure someone can put up the link.

Most people in life rush around like flaming lunatics and take it to the golf course.

I believe 2 of my favorite rounds ever were 5 hours and in perfect company,cant think of many things better.

For me, golf is best when not held up ahead and not having people chasing from behind the whole way round.

I played 2 rounds on Tuesday, same course, one lasted (4 ball) 4hr 10 the other (3 ball) 3hr 15. Both rounds were great fun, and we played at our own pace the whole way round. Its when I feel rushed, or have to wait which I don't enjoy.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That is excessive by pretty much everyone's standards!

For me, golf is best when not held up ahead and not having people chasing from behind the whole way round.

I played 2 rounds on Tuesday, same course, one lasted (4 ball) 4hr 10 the other (3 ball) 3hr 15. Both rounds were great fun, and we played at our own pace the whole way round. Its when I feel rushed, or have to wait which I don't enjoy.

This ^^

If the tee times are correctly spaced out and people don't faff about then slow play is rarely an issue.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With all the comments in various threads about slow play, I wondered if anyone has actually completed a set of time and motion studies to determine which particular aspect of play is really taking the time? I guess the measurement would be for a player and categories would be along the lines of:

1) Preparing to take a shot
2) Taking a shot
3) Waiting for fellow competitors to take shots (n times more than 1+2 it would be hoped)
4) Walking
5) Marking a card (should be part of #4 really)

Anything else?

My view is that #4 would be a huge percentage compared to the rest. The simple solution to faster rounds imho is "walk faster".

My immediate thought was 'walking'. We notice other things more, but this is a huge chunk of a round. I walk reasonably briskly, but a couple of people I play with wander about. Sometimes if I've hit a ball off line and need to get to it straight away while I remember where it is I look round and they will have lost 50yds in about 30 secs...

I was as curious as you once the question was raised, so I did a brief search. The R&A has produced a huge document on pace of play, but bizarely, none of the data they collected itemizes what portion of a round the different activities take, and (most importantly I think) what the differences are between a 3hour and 4hour round (for example).

We get the odd student on here asking for input on thesis/dissertation topics. This would be a fantastic route to go down - lots of easy to identify, quantifiable data to collect, and a genuinely useful outcome. Not like most of their dodgy questionaires on why we give up golf....

If I'm ever injured, or forget my clubs, I might walk around with my mates and put a stopwatch on them!!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play with a guy who would take about 40 secs to play his shot - glove on, pre shot routine, standing there not wanting to pull the trigger, etc. Playing an average round of 90 shots, he effectively had spent 1 hour standing over his ball doing nothing :mad:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Incorrectly teeing off. Don’t tee off Just as the fairway is clear. It ruins the flow. 8-10 minute spacing.

Like someone said above, nobody rushes round. They’re just making sure nobody is waiting behind. And that’s a good mentality, and certainly one I play with.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand quite a few courses have this. There is a clock on every tee which indicates the time you should have taken to reach that tee.

Our new Club Manager wants to introduce it to our course

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand quite a few courses have this. There is a clock on every tee which indicates the time you should have taken to reach that tee.

I don't get these clocks.
Let's say you get there 15 minutes quicker,do you slow down?
On the other hand if your slower but you can't speed up.
Pointless imo

D

Deleted member 16999

Based on what though? Every mishap or lost ball or 5 minute search or 2 Ball, 4 ball, you could go on and on, I understand a guide after 9 holes but on every tee is stupid, it becomes a race against the clock for some, and, what happens if you fall behind at anytime?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it's easy to disprove the walking speed as a critical factor on its own. Put all 4 players in their own buggies and they won't suddenly be quick.

No 1 factor is being ready to play, and playing, when appropriate. This starts on the first tee, and includes being in position to play from the fairway, or rough, asap - which includes things like walking up one side when a player is 40 yds further back on the other.

Individual slow players will often be masked by the rest of their group who, not wanting to hold others up and be seen to be slow, will themselves rush. The only person left enjoying the round is the slow player...

Excellent indiacators of a likely slow group are that all trolleys appear connected by elastic as they progress around the course and every putt is marked.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
it's easy to disprove the walking speed as a critical factor on its own. Put all 4 players in their own buggies and they won't suddenly be quick.

No 1 factor is being ready to play, and playing, when appropriate. This starts on the first tee, and includes being in position to play from the fairway, or rough, asap - which includes things like walking up one side when a player is 40 yds further back on the other.

Individual slow players will often be masked by the rest of their group who, not wanting to hold others up and be seen to be slow, will themselves rush. The only person left enjoying the round is the slow player...

Excellent indiacators of a likely slow group are that all trolleys appear connected by elastic as they progress around the course and every putt is marked.

Nailed it.
Grinds my gears - one of my regular 4 balls have been playing ready golf for years but still a couple of them just look at each other waiting to see who's going to play. One old boy 3 or 4 times a round will stand there on the green and say "whose turn is it?" :mad:

That and the guy with the tour style Pre SR AND Post SR :mad: who also has to tell you how hard his every shot is and then stands there giving a post mortem after every shot :mad:

Just be ready to play. Hit the thing. Be ready to walk on.

D

Deleted member 15344

For me a few things have changed over the years that has slowed the game

1. The pre shot routine
2. Being ready to play when it’s your turn
3. People using electric trolleys and having them surgically attached to them
4. People are getting older but still playing golf

The first three come down to a lack of etiquette and awareness - lost count the amount of times you expect someone to be ready and have gone through their routine but they aren’t

The last one is just natural.

Hopefully next year when ready golf is part of the rules and the time allowed per shot is decreased things might help

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me a few things have changed over the years that has slowed the game

1. The pre shot routine
2. Being ready to play when it’s your turn
3. People using electric trolleys and having them surgically attached to them
4. People are getting older but still playing golf

The first three come down to a lack of etiquette and awareness - lost count the amount of times you expect someone to be ready and have gone through their routine but they aren’t

The last one is just natural.

Hopefully next year when ready golf is part of the rules and the time allowed per shot is decreased things might help

Im 40 + years older than i was when i started this game and get round faster now than i used to.

We had out club Masters event last Sat and, in a change to normal, the past captains (who have an exemption to play the event) went out I the first 2 groups and led the field round (average age was about 68). There was a gap in the field after them on finishing, and they were round 40 mins faster than the final group.

Some old players are slow, some young ones are slow, some low handicaps are slow, some high handicaps are slow.

On some courses carrying players will be able to get round faster, links are generally in this category, but electric trolleys per se? Really.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some courses use Pace of Play Charts

eg Yelverton

[h=3]Pace of Play Time Chart[/h]
Hole
Maximum Time goal
for reaching each Tee
Hole
Maximum Time goal
for reaching each Tee
At 1st Tee
00:00
At 10th Tee
01:52
00:11
02:04
00:23
02:19
00:35
02:29
00:47
02:41
01:02
02:53
01:12
03:06
01:25
03:19
01:40
03:29
Round Complete
03:40

Timing check points - The time goal for reaching each tee is, for example - "5 in 45," meaning fifth tee in 45 minutes, "9 in 95", meaning ninth tee in 95 minutes, “12 in 135” and “15 in 170”, etc.