Tigers back.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In which case why all the excitement?

If he is to be just another Tour player after having been the dominant force for so long then the comeback is simply a case of " Yeah OK, so what!"

Not an unreasonable view! But there's always the possibility that he'll have one of his incredible runs and the 'fear of Tiger' thought will return! The pitching problems he had in his last return simply ruled any possibility of that out!

I'm actually hoping he is 'competitive', and a quick glance at the leaderboard indicates he is! If he stays there or thereabouts for the final round, it's likely that commentators will create as much pressure on the leaders as Tiger himself, so I'm hoping to see how they handle that!

Oh. and great to see Fleetwood, particularly, and Rose up there too!

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiger in the final group on Masters Sunday with Rory, Speith and Rose in the group behind snapping at their heels.

Fantasy land? Yes, but at least its a possibility, even if a small one. I'd rather have that than Tiger washed up and done in. I genuniely can't understand anyone that wouldn't!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I watched an hour or so last night on the Golf Channel, total Tiger borefest. Can't remember seeing a single shot by Rose and only a couple by Fleetwood. If this is what a Tiger comeback means then I'm out!

Then there was a 1hr show immediately afterwards where they dissected and analysed all 69 shots *yawn*

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why all the excitement - that's a very good question and one I don't have an answer for. My best guess is that it sells newspapers and increases tv viewing figures. Has anyone heard or read anything about why his drugs conviction has not brought action from the Tour?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I watched an hour or so last night on the Golf Channel, total Tiger borefest. Can't remember seeing a single shot by Rose and only a couple by Fleetwood. If this is what a Tiger comeback means then I'm out!

Then there was a 1hr show immediately afterwards where they dissected and analysed all 69 shots *yawn*

Are you new to tv ? Sounds like it, it's all about the figures, viewer figures and sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Tiger is a bigger tv draw than JR, like it or not 👍

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you new to tv ? Sounds like it, it's all about the figures, viewer figures and sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Tiger is a bigger tv draw than JR, like it or not 👍

Yes my point exactly and I have no interest in watching someone languishing down the field (which will happen at some point) but he will still be the centre of attention.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
tiger.jpg

Ridiculous!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched Tiger play the first 6 before I went out and saw plenty of the other players. Saw every single shot of Rickie Fowler as he moved to -3. Saw Daniel Berger drain a monster putt from off the green, saw plenty of Spieth, saw every shot of DJ, saw plenty of Kevin Chappell, every shot of Justin Thomas. Didn't see much of Tommy and Rose admittedly, but it's a US broadcast, they're going to focus on the American players.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I watched Tiger play the first 6 before I went out and saw plenty of the other players. Saw every single shot of Rickie Fowler as he moved to -3. Saw Daniel Berger drain a monster putt from off the green, saw plenty of Spieth, saw every shot of DJ. Didn't see much of Tommy and Rose admittedly, but it's a US broadcast, they're going to focus on the American players.

Sadly to me that sums up the attitude of American broadcasts.

D

Deleted member 23270

I watched some of it, I see that Woods is still swinging the club as hard as he can. Only a matter of time till his back goes again, anyone with a brain would swing in a more controlled fashion and extend his career. The drive he lost way out to the right and had to take a drop looked like he was really trying to smash the cover off the ball :eek:

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I watched some of it, I see that Woods is still swinging the club as hard as he can. Only a matter of time till his back goes again, anyone with a brain would swing in a more controlled fashion and extend his career. The drive he lost way out to the right and had to take a drop looked like he was really trying to smash the cover off the ball :eek:

Yep, however most of the swings prior to that were well in control. He even said himself afterwards that adrenaline played a part. He was never going to hit every shot perfectly (players rarely do). 69 is an excellent and promising start.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep, however most of the swings prior to that were well in control. He even said himself afterwards that adrenaline played a part. He was never going to hit every shot perfectly (players rarely do). 69 is an excellent and promising start.

I think adrenaline played a big part in getting the 69 - a lot of good drives and putts but it’s how he reacts to the rounds where he is having to battle , he looked physically shattered when he finished and looked like he has put on a fair bit of weight. The main thing for him was no reaction to the back but it’s going to take him a good 5/6 months to get himself back to challenging I suspect and if he stays fit then who knows how he will do but when it’s starts to come to the majors and all the top 20 guys switch on then it’s going to be a different ball game and the pressure will really be on - then people can see how his game stands up.