Tigers back.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
-3 is a very good score for anyone coming back off major back surgery and a 10 month lay-off, bearing in mind the leader is -6 who has been on fire of late.

But it's only 1 round, the real first hurdle for me is can he do it 4 days in a row.

I'm by no means a Tiger fanboy but also have nothing against him so I'm hoping he can play well and put a decent 4 day total together and do so free from pain.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
-3 is a very good score for anyone coming back off major back surgery and a 10 month lay-off, bearing in mind the leader is -6 who has been on fire of late.

But it's only 1 round, the real first hurdle for me is can he do it 4 days in a row.

I'm by no means a Tiger fanboy but also have nothing against him so I'm hoping he can play well and put a decent 4 day total together and do so free from pain.

Well said, this for me as well.

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
So those who didn’t watch in fear of seeing me play instead come on here to talk about me :rofl:

You sad sad individuals... As I’ve already said it’s the same group of OBSESSED sad acts who have done all the talking on this thread even though they apparently can’t stand anything to do with me.

Anyway back to the yacht for a good rest :smirk:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All sounds very positive today

Hyperbole aside, hope he can put 3 more solid rounds together and not flatter to deceive

Will be exciting next season if he can go to toe with the best of the current crop

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
All sounds very positive today

Hyperbole aside, hope he can put 3 more solid rounds together and not flatter to deceive

Will be exciting next season if he can go to toe with the best of the current crop

Yup, a good solid start, not sure if it matters whether the field has 18 of the very best players or padded out to 180 with lower ranks, if he shoots three back from the leader in that field its still probably 3 back from the leader of a much larger field (unless folk think a chunk of the guys playing in Oz & Mauritius this week would have bettered Fleetwoods score)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
So those who didn’t watch in fear of seeing me play instead come on here to talk about me :rofl:

You sad sad individuals... As I’ve already said it’s the same group of OBSESSED sad acts who have done all the talking on this thread even though they apparently can’t stand anything to do with me.

Anyway back to the yacht for a good rest :smirk:

Boring now mate. If your gonna do it, at least make it funny :eek:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Combat sport? Golf? I'm clearly playing this game wrong :smirk:

Should have elaborated. My point was that you can be in absolute peak physical condition and an adrenaline dump can cause serious fatigue quite quickly. MMA fighters after a long lay-off can be the fittest they've ever been, be capable of facing 5 fresh opponents for 5 minutes at a time with little breaks between but then on fight night after an adrenaline dump they can gas out and fatigue in a matter of minutes. Obviously that's a very extreme example but shows the impact an adrenaline dump can have on both mental and physical fatigue. It's that that Tiger was experiencing yesterday. He's more than capable of playing 18 holes but the adrenaline dump after finally teeing off in a competitive environment again caused the fatigue towards the end of the round. I imagine he'll handle today's round a lot better.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Odd are weird tho 33/1 I think bet 365 had him for this comp but they have him 33/1 for the masters aswell

I’d say an 18 way event would be easier to win lol

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Odd are weird tho 33/1 I think bet 365 had him for this comp but they have him 33/1 for the masters aswell

I’d say an 18 way event would be easier to win lol

I think they’re playing safe.

if he stays fit until then, he could easily have found form. If that’s the case he will probably start with much shorter odds.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recorded the lot and fast forwarded through most of it. I thought he swung the club very well on the front nine, got a little out of sync at the end. Tidy return for day one, lets see what happens the next three days.

D

Deleted member 18588

No he's not

I saw a very good golfer called Tiger Woods last night but I didn't nor, at his age and the enforced career breaks, do I ever expect to again see the phenomenal golfer that Tiger was at his peak.

All of the true greats from Vardon to Nicklaus were faced with the same realisation that they could only dominate the game for a finite period.

Beyond that they will have the occasional performance e.g. Nicklaus at The Masters in 1986 but others come along and the effect of their challenge and advancing years means an end to domination.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
No he's not

I saw a very good golfer called Tiger Woods last night but I didn't nor, at his age and the enforced career breaks, do I ever expect to again see the phenomenal golfer that Tiger was at his peak.

All of the true greats from Vardon to Nicklaus were faced with the same realisation that they could only dominate the game for a finite period.

Beyond that they will have the occasional performance e.g. Nicklaus at The Masters in 1986 but others come along and the effect of their challenge and advancing years means an end to domination.

I don't think anyone is expecting or suggesting that Tiger is going to come back, dominate and win like he did before.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't think anyone is expecting or suggesting that Tiger is going to come back, dominate and win like he did before.

In which case why all the excitement?

If he is to be just another Tour player after having been the dominant force for so long then the comeback is simply a case of " Yeah OK, so what!"

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure i understand why someone on a golf forum needs to ask the question why is there so much excitement about him playing again.

He is arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game (if not one of). Why wouldn't there be any excitement? it would be weird for there not to be.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure i understand why someone on a golf forum needs to ask the question why is there so much excitement about him playing again.

He is arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game (if not one of). Why wouldn't there be any excitement? it would be weird for there not to be.
I agree with this. If he comes back and wins a major it would be (to plagiarise the great Sid Waddle) ‘the greatest comeback since Lazarus!!’

I would like to see that !

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

I agree.

Never been a great fan of him personally, but tournaments with him challenging at the top of the leader board are more watchable to me. I like to appreciate the greats of the game whilst I can. They are in retirement a long time. Same goes for Roger Federer. You may never see someone of his ability ever again.