HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer, is that you?

[/QUOTE]

Seems to be talking the same drivel!

[/QUOTE]

Knob.

I actually agree with the point that there has to be a mark up for the pro and so £7 or so per dozen doesn't seem extortinate to me. However look at clothing. A pair of Stromber Mijas (the plain black ones with the coloured pocket trim) are £20 cost to the pro in the shops and online stores. They retail for £40 upwards so not much mark up in those at all.

Everything has its price. It's about consumer demand. If no-one bought them at that price they'd either go out of business or drop their prices to a competitive level.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A friend of mine is a PGA pro and I was chatting to him about pricing of equipment.
He said years ago one of the top manufacturers was interviewed and revealed that if they were to release their next driver at a drop down price to £29.99 then no one will buy it. If they price it high then there is this preconception that because it cost so much means it is even better than the last one.
To sum up if it's cheap it's preconception is it's crap, if it's expensive it means it's good!!!
Sounds like the whole golf retail world to me. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pretty much somes it up. I remember Cally released a Hyper X range of woods a couple of years ago which were about £169 for the driver and £129 for the fairways. Whatever the RRP's they were considerably cheaper than the FT incarnation at the time and subsequently were only out for a short space of time. They were decent middle of the road clubs. No fuss or gimmicks and yet they never sold