The three-footer

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Argh...the agony and pain and of the flippin three-footer. Played yesterday and missed one on the first for birdie, another miss at 17 for the match....Need some mental tips...help!!

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I tend to keep my grip the same for any length of putt

On shorter ones I make a real effort to visualise the ball's path as it leaves the blade and rolls towards the hole

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Well I tried today the aim and hit it straight technique but as usaul it didn't work.

If someone could find the answer they would surely make millions!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As BigStu will testify, I almost missed a putt of about 12 inches yesterday. I don't know what technique I was using but it was definitely one to avoid. I think it was the: let a multitude of negative thoughts fly through your head before taking the putter back shakily and gingerly returning it to the ball with no follow through.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I almost get more nervous over a 30 footer when i know i have to get down in two coz i can already feel the dread of having to try and hold a six-footer or something!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ha ha. Yes I know that feeling too. And how about when you hit a great approach to ten feet and all that's going through your head is: "well, at least I should make par here."

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I try the old technique of picking a spot a few inches in front of the ball that I want to make sure it travels over. This helps me concentrate on swinging the putter along the line of the putt. My standard fault that creeps in when I don't concentrate is that I tend to pull putts to the left...very frustrating!

There was an article in GM a few months ago that promoted the idea that you should look at the hole instead of the ball when hitting your putts. The theory was that this helps you judge length more effectively so you're left with fewer 3 or 4 footers in the first place. Most people have more problems with length than line. They did some testing among a particular group of players and on long putts, the average distance they finished from the hole was shorter when they looked at the hole for most if not all of them.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't worry about two or three-footers at this time of year - they should only matter mentally when greens are at their summer peak.

In the meantime, do what psychologists would call "externalising" - ie blaming it on something other than you and your stroke, whether it's poor greens, slitting, hollow-tining or whatever.

Convincing yourself it's not your fault can be enough to inspire more confidence and less trepidation. Works for me!!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's ok if you only miss the occasional tiddler. If you miss more than your fair share it becomes extremely difficult to think of different external variables that could have caused the ball to inexplicably miss the cup. Maybe: a crow passing overhead cast a shadow at exactly the wrong moment there or, I can't believe that gust of wind affected the ball so much on that one.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ironically, both of which I've already used! Also remember admonishing my wife-to-be severely once for excessive Crunchie wrapper rustling as I was preparing to tee-off. Last time she ever caddied for me - who did I think I was! Monty??

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very funny. Yup, it's incredible what you're prepared to blame for poor golf. My favourite is to blame greenkeepers. During a round this summer I put a mid round collapse totally down to the fact that a greenkeeper had parked his mower a bit close to the right edge of the 8th green. The fact that I followed a double at that hole with a triple at the tenth was as a direct result of his careless vehicle placement.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
I have an idea...

There are two types of putting strokes, one that is firm and intends to eliminate the break and the other is smooth and like a pendulum designed for pace and will certainly take the break near to it stopping/holing out.

You should always have this in mind; anything within 5 feet must be a firm putt to ensure the ball does not die on you or take the nasty break just before the hole. Anthing over must be rely on pace, if it misses then you will be inches away. Here's a tip/drill to help....

Take three golf balls, with the first close your eyes and hit the ball with the intention of it going no further than eight feet away. Now open your eyes, set up your second ball and within three seconds hit the ball, but do not let it go past the first! Now with the third ball, set up and again within three seconds hit the ball but this time try getting the ball to stop resting/touching the second ball..... with practice you should feel like your putting effortlessly and your pace should improve...oh and don't let those three footers get you anymore, be firm!

Best of luck....

The Golfer