The problem with golf ....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The comment about playing in a Pro Am with a Pro had nothing to do with joining a club ?

I'm guessing you don't want to play competitive golf then

thats what my society is for play competitive in that it's a monthly event throughout the season

30 members, best 4 scores is captain and we have a captains cup at end of season

match play runs throughout season aswell which reminds me need to book that in march

serves my needs just right

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think they are very necessary for a private club so I guess we will just need to agree to disagree on that one.

Are they really necessary for someone with an official handicap? That person has already been accepted into golf and has gone one further by getting a handicap.

D

Deleted member 15344

thats what my society is for play competitive in that it's a monthly event throughout the season

30 members, best 4 scores is captain and we have a captains cup at end of season

match play runs throughout season aswell which reminds me need to book that in march

serves my needs just right

Yes I do that in the two societies I play in

On top of playing with my mates on a weekly basis , gaining an official golf handicap , playing in official golf comps and being able to enter Opens all over the country at the best courses in the country , as well as reciprocal golf and multiple courses plus gaining a county card which allows me to play on courses all over the country on reduced green fees

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are they really necessary for someone with an official handicap? That person has already been accepted into golf and has gone one further by getting a handicap.

I would say so, the handicap could have been obtained from Murderers and Rapists GC or Murcar then they try to join somewhere respectable like Broadstone ;)

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I think they are very necessary for a private club so I guess we will just need to agree to disagree on that one.

This seems mostly to be specific to golf, all other sports that have private members from exclusive Gym's to Tennis Clubs and so on do not require this. In fact I had a weekend at an exclusive local members sports club that was a cost if £170 a month for the wife and I and we didn't need an interview, or know anyone there or anything. All we had to do was fill in the form and pay, we had superb service and full access to everything. They were very keen to embrace us and have us become members, there was no artificial barrier.

One of the barriers for those from outside looking in is precisely this. In all other things it's done this way and having to see it done the other intimidates or putts (get it :D) off these people. It is easy to say it shouldn't or don't be silly etc etc but for some it does and that is a negative. Anything that deters a potential customer is a bad thing.

People here that are club members are fine as they have been there and done it, but for many it's way too off putting. It doesn't even need to be real any imagined issue will put people off and prevent them from joining.

As an aside I used to be a member of a golf club and my rights as a member were no better than as a Pay and Play. If I didn't do the 5 rounds minimum a month to save on cost there were literally no membership benefits. I would like a round on a morning and the pay as play crowd had booked a slot a week in advance, well tough, you can't play, a society is on the course all day, well tough no play time. In the end I stopped being a member and just did pay and play and played a lot more different clubs.

Drive4Show - That was at Canford Magna by the way, now closed.. and the local clubs are pretty stuffy round here, Ferndown, Broadstone, Parkstone, Dudsbury all nice courses etc but they are slightly oldie worldy. I play Bulbury Woods which is nice and common :D

Last edited:

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In your hypothetical situation, it is hardly an inhibitor to you joining though. A simple email or phone call to the GM explaining you are interested in joining but don't know any members. I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from you.

I think some people overcomplicate a pretty straightforward process.

^^^^^ This.

I had no proposer or seconder as required on the application form. A quick e mail to the GM and he asked me to come in for an informal chat with himself and the Club Captain. We had a good yarn about all things golf and the deal was done. Even managed to squeeze a free few months over the winter before my subs are due in April.

D

Deleted member 16999

^^^^^ This.

I had no proposer or seconder as required on the application form. A quick e mail to the GM and he asked me to come in for an informal chat with himself and the Club Captain. We had a good yarn about all things golf and the deal was done. Even managed to squeeze a free few months over the winter before my subs are due in April.
No one is saying all clubs requiring an interview are all formal, it was Lpoolphil who insinuated that outside top clubs all other clubs were informal, it's simply not true, there are allsorts of different clubs doing it their way, doesn't make them right or wrong and whether we agree or not there is the possibility of some of the joining process's listed on websites can be very off putting to some.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Nobody is accusing anyone of making things up but with the exception of a handful of very top clubs, getting in to a club these days is a pretty painless process.

I'm a member of 2 clubs ( top 100 and next 100) and I didn't know anyone at either when I joined. Dead easy though. Fill in application form, be interviewed, playing in round then part with cash. No begging required :D
I was begged to join Blackmoor.:whistle:

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the barriers for those from outside looking in is precisely this. In all other things it's done this way and having to see it done the other intimidates or putts (get it :D) off these people. It is easy to say it shouldn't or don't be silly etc etc but for some it does and that is a negative. Anything that deters a potential customer is a bad thing.

People here that are club members are fine as they have been there and done it, but for many it's way too off putting. It doesn't even need to be real any imagined issue will put people off and prevent them from joining.

Point made very well and what i was trying to allude to earlier in the thread.

We who are club members and post on this forum know a lot about golf, hence why we are here. For a new golfer, it can be incredibly intimidating and the artificial barriers are there.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I had an 'interview' when I joined my club, but it was to tell me about the club, and why I should join there. No questions about my criminal record at all.:whistle: Orginally applied as a 5 day member, and after being told about the weekend roll ups and how easy it was to get a game, I joined as a full member. Did fill in an application form, which I imagine the club found useful for getting my details on the system. Got played in by joining one of the roll ups. Nothing to get me claiming my human rights were being abused.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am entering my second year of membership at this club so may be ill change my mind this time next year...

I joined my club with 2 good mates of mine, both of which have stopped playing. I am fully integrated into my club after just 1 season, now playing in a winter league and had a few away days with people. Every time I'm in the bar for food or a drink people are coming up and speaking to me and everything. I think being part of a club is great.

What did you find boring about it? Was it just playing the same course every week?

it was a combination of things

My granddad was and is still a member (has been for years) my mate joined so I decided to join with him

First year I played a lot with my granddad in the weekdays , and my friend at the weekends.

My mate second year decided he wanted to play different clubs and I was like come on we are members we should use our membership or else why on earth are we members?

I also have a passionate hatred of weekend golf and avoid where possible. Its a lot slower than weekday golf (or is at that club, 4 hours average on a weekday, 5 hours min at weekends) and I had always been brought up by my day and granddad to play in the week as "we are able to play in the week so leave the weekend for those who cant play in the week" so where possible I avoid weekends.

second year I joined a society on the side of the membership and I found I enjoyed it more so ended my membership and I have played that course 5 times since leaving as a member. I realize now it wasn't the course for me but at the time I just went with it. its a very draining course. Up and down the same hill for 14 of the 18 holes.. down the hill then back up so by time you finish you feel like you have just walked up a mountain lol. also its a course that has a lot of punishment of a good shot.. for example ditches running across the fairway 230 yards away from the tee on a 500 yard par 5. so you end up laying up to the ditch if you don't want to risk going over. Then your next shot you lay up to the pond which is 150 from the green.

I took my 10 handicap mate their other day and he said it was a struggle at times.. he shot 82 so on his handicap but had to fight all the way.

that and the greens are the worst I have ever seen. towards the end I just found myself angry with the state of the greens , always bobbling and slow

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This seems mostly to be specific to golf, all other sports that have private members from exclusive Gym's to Tennis Clubs and so on do not require this...

Perhaps two significant differences golf has from other sports is that when golf club members participate in their sport, they share a common space with many others, and therefore respect and consideration to others - including players you are not actually playing with and indeed may well not know - are actually very important; as is the honesty aspect of the game. I suggest that there are few sports - if any - that depend on the absolute honesty of the individual participant when an individuals actions may not be visible to playing partners.

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This seems mostly to be specific to golf, all other sports that have private members from exclusive Gym's to Tennis Clubs and so on do not require this. In fact I had a weekend at an exclusive local members sports club that was a cost if £170 a month for the wife and I and we didn't need an interview, or know anyone there or anything. All we had to do was fill in the form and pay, we had superb service and full access to everything. They were very keen to embrace us and have us become members, there was no artificial barrier.

As an aside I used to be a member of a golf club and my rights as a member were no better than as a Pay and Play. If I didn't do the 5 rounds minimum a month to save on cost there were literally no membership benefits. I would like a round on a morning and the pay as play crowd had booked a slot a week in advance, well tough, you can't play, a society is on the course all day, well tough no play time. In the end I stopped being a member and just did pay and play and played a lot more different clubs.

Drive4Show - That was at Canford Magna by the way, now closed.. and the local clubs are pretty stuffy round here, Ferndown, Broadstone, Parkstone, Dudsbury all nice courses etc but they are slightly oldie worldy. I play Bulbury Woods which is nice and common :D

Well in London, decent tennis clubs will require you to "play in". They need to ensure a degree of competence, otherwise you won't be able to participate fully in mix ins etc.

Golf should be thankful for the handicap system