When did golf have the strongest field?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
it is almost impossible to say which is strongest. You can say which era is the most competitive, as in has the most number of people at the top competing with one another.

In that instance then I think right now is about as competitive it has ever been, you've had short periods of dominance, McIlroy, Spieth, Koepka where they have won multiple majors very quickly. But now any major that comes along, trying to pick a winner is nigh on impossible.

Not only have you got several multiple major winners teeing it up, but there are also so many player with zero or 1 major that are capable of posting really low scores

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think now is the strongest we've seen. We'll never know, but I wonder if Tiger in 2000 would have dominated today? Probably, but 4 majors all at once?

sunshine

Visit site
I think now is the strongest we've seen. We'll never know, but I wonder if Tiger in 2000 would have dominated today? Probably, but 4 majors all at once?

Yes. Although it would be very different for Tiger today with camera phones and social media. His post round activities would be all over snapchat.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The PGA Tour is strong at the moment but has lost a lot of the best players to Liv, however the DP Tour is rank rotten and will continue to get worse.

DP Tour or European Tour was at its best back in the days of Montgomerie Westwood Clarke Harrington etc

AussieKB

Visit site
The PGA Tour is strong at the moment but has lost a lot of the best players to Liv, however the DP Tour is rank rotten and will continue to get worse.

DP Tour or European Tour was at its best back in the days of Montgomerie Westwood Clarke Harrington etc
Go further back when Seve Faldo Norman Woosnam Lyle played and there were a lot of tournaments in Britain.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The PGA Tour is strong at the moment but has lost a lot of the best players to Liv
Has it? Dustin Johnson, Kopeka, Cameron Smith, and at times DeChambea. Everyone else is decent but nowhere near the levels of Rahm, McIlroy, Scheffler, Morikawa, Spieth, Thomas, Finau, etc, etc, etc.