The problem with golf ....

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm currently looking to join as a member locally.

First choice was the "top" course in the area. Alas I can not meet the below criteria...

"Prospective members will normally need two current members to propose and second their application and they will then go through an interview process."

As for declining numbers. There used to be quite a few of my friends who played regularly, only 2 of us left now. Mainly down to time I'm afraid. :(

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you checked every single club beyond the expected top clubs to make sure it's quite simple and very informal?
We have decent Clubs up here that are no way top clubs that still put your name up for 10-14 days for any objections and still require an interview before the welcome evening if succesful.

That is pretty standard procedure though Paul, gives the members a chance to weed out any known undesirables. It doesn't make the process any more complex, just adds a short delay.

D

Deleted member 16999

That is pretty standard procedure though Paul, gives the members a chance to weed out any known undesirables. It doesn't make the process any more complex, just adds a short delay.
Exactly Gordon, just some clubs are not as informal as we like to think and outside the top clubs there are clubs that still do it "their way" in a formal manner and that's up to them.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't see the need to change

The game can be as cheap or as expensive as you want - you can prob get a full set of clubs for under £200 that will last years

You can get cheap memberships and rounds of golf

And there are many ways to play quicker rounds

Any sport is hard to master hence why only the very best do master it

This...a mate wanted to start playing again after selling his gear some years back, recently he bought a Titleist 905d,Titleist 980f,Titleist 975f,Titleist 735cm's 3-pw,52,56 vokeys and a Scotty platinium,all in really good nick and bought seperatly for a total cost of £150,all quality equiptment and would have cost around £1500 when new,add to that local 7 day membership at a decent course for £60 a month where there was no joining on fee done to encourage membership and his golf starts to be a very inexpensive pastime.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly Gordon, just some clubs are not as informal as we like to think and outside the top clubs there are clubs that still do it "their way" in a formal manner and that's up to them.

There will always be clubs that do it their way - and they will continue to it their way as long as it is still working for that club . There are still clubs that require an interview process and there are clubs that put your name on the board - but it's a world of difference from a couple decades ago when nearly all private members clubs were like that. Majority have or are changing to try and remove the "stuffy and elitist" tag that golf and members club has. The ones that don't try will obviously have a course that makes it all worthwhile or will die away

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would people who are new to golf really want to join the 'stuffy' clubs?
And
With all the clubs closing, I wonder how many there are today compared to say 50 years ago.

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Spot on - its just the standard procedure - how many people will actually be refused membership following 2 weeks on an obscure notice board somewhere. Very few (if any).

D

Deleted member 21258

he joined the club in question in End after making his case to the board

thorden park golf club

You must live very close to were I used to live, given the courses you talk about and have played. I used to live in Rochford and there are a few clubs around in that area that follow that kind of procedure which I found imposing and stopped me joining one such club in Essex.:(

I never had the chance to play golf(parents never did, they certainly could not afford it or for me to and me/parents didn't move in the right circles) when I was young and do find the attend an interview etc not very inviting and certainly not painless. However I find it interesting reading some comments such as drive4show saving that it is painless, just shows how different outlooks view the same matter differently and makes me want to challenge my outlook on the matter, so thanks for that as in many ways you are right really.:thup:

Thorndon Park, love the layout of the course, but the number of problems we had there over the years(wont mention the groups name but I have never held a day there myself due to the problems). But it is my favourite layout of any course I have played, was top 100 course IIRC for 1 or 2 years.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spot on - its just the standard procedure - how many people will actually be refused membership following 2 weeks on an obscure notice board somewhere. Very few (if any).

May be the standard procedure but it can also put new people off joining. Being a new golfer, from the outside you read and hear of all the procedures and rules and it definitely puts you off. In reality it is very easy to join most clubs, but you don't know that until you have done it. I was always very nervous joining a club until my standard improved as I didn't know certain rules etc and always heard of interviews and everything. But now I have no idea what I was worried about. I think the perception needs to be changed, and as you say, whats the point in the noticeboard if 99% of names on it go through- 2 week delay for absolutely no reason.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm currently looking to join as a member locally.

First choice was the "top" course in the area. Alas I can not meet the below criteria...

"Prospective members will normally need two current members to propose and second their application and they will then go through an interview process."

As for declining numbers. There used to be quite a few of my friends who played regularly, only 2 of us left now. Mainly down to time I'm afraid. :(

based on your other thread i assume this was northants county?

D

Deleted Member 1156

However I find it interesting reading some comments such as drive4show saving that it is painless, just shows how different outlooks view the same matter differently and makes me want to challenge my outlook on the matter, so thanks for that as in many ways you are right really.:thup:

Don't forget that the interview process is very much a 2 way thing. You are interviewing the club to an extent to ensure it meets your requirements as well!

The interviewer may be just as nervous as the interviewee :D

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site

For us regular club golfers 'in the know', yes the application, interview and playing in process required is very standard (or whatever is required at any particular club)

For a new Golfer, this can be very intimidating and not very welcoming. I know, I was once a new golfer...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't let that put you off, just remember it is very much a buyers market out there and the vast majority of clubs will welcome your application if you present yourself in a respectable manner. Just cover up the love/hate tattoos on your knuckles ;)

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't let that put you off, just remember it is very much a buyers market out there and the vast majority of clubs will welcome your application if you present yourself in a respectable manner. Just cover up the love/hate tattoos on your knuckles ;)

I agree but I don't understand why a club posts that on their website. A simple 'please call the club and we would be delighted to discuss our membership options' is sufficient.

Clubs are desperate for members but most of their websites give an impression of exclusivity and a that they will do you a favour by inviting you to join

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Agree with this.

For my club, I needed to be recommended by two members and then signed by committee member. I printed out the membership form, filled it in and then got it signed by two people who didn't know me and then a committee member who was sitting at the bar having a drink. Had a good chat with them and they said they were desperate for younger members. All very friendly and happy to see people joining the club.

Just give them a call and explain, I'm sure they will be welcoming.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
based on your other thread i assume this was northants county?

That is correct fundy. Although I think I agree with you. Although the course is great. My friend and I looking to join like to have a laugh, so maybe not the club for us.

CMNI

Club Champion
Visit site

It is this standard procedure that is silly though. Most clubs offer Pay per play, they will happily take my money if I show up every week and pay a round, but if I want to pay in a lump sum and commit to them, I all of a sudden need vetted?

Why not just rock up, pay your money and away you go?

Stick a name up and a number of members have an issue with the guy, well who cares? I don't know the names of 80% of the members in our club. If I disliked one I could easily avoid them.

I was a full member of a club for the first time this year as I had disposable income and plenty of free time. I will likely not renew it this coming year as we are expecting a baby - I can now however, play the same course 18 holes once a week and 9 holes one night in the summer for less than a full membership. Being a member suited me this year as I had a saving, though there was no other incentive. I only ever played socially at the club, and don't play comps, if I get one and a half rounds in a week I will be lucky.

One thing I think needs sorted out (at least at clubs I have played at), is weekend tee times. A lot are reserved for members only. This is nonsense, we have had free tee times that don't become available until the Saturday morning for non-members, where as we have folk ringing week in week out willing to pay the higher weekend green fees and being told non-members after 3. Why would anyone pay £35 for a round after 3 in December or January? And then the morning tee times lying empty!

Holding spots for comps is one thing I can imagine you all saying, but there are members who are out there on a Saturday playing much slower, off higher H/Cs than a lot of our visitors. So letting non-members out in between groups isn't that big an issue surely?

Sorry this is a bit of a rant haha.

Golf is intimidating to those outside of the game (but so our most sports), I have only been playing a few years and didn't have any golfing friends at the time, and while I had the bug it took me a while to feel comfortable around the place. Gateway events and courses are what will make it grow. My Dad would love to take it up, but trying to convince him that no one gives a toss if you hit it 50 or 500 yards when you're out there seems to be the struggle- he is just retired and wants to start, he keeps throwing out excuses but I know deep down he just doesnt want to look stupid trying something new.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is this standard procedure that is silly though. Most clubs offer Pay per play, they will happily take my money if I show up every week and pay a round, but if I want to pay in a lump sum and commit to them, I all of a sudden need vetted?

Why not just rock up, pay your money and away you go?

Stick a name up and a number of members have an issue with the guy, well who cares? I don't know the names of 80% of the members in our club. If I disliked one I could easily avoid them.

I was a full member of a club for the first time this year as I had disposable income and plenty of free time. I will likely not renew it this coming year as we are expecting a baby - I can now however, play the same course 18 holes once a week and 9 holes one night in the summer for less than a full membership. Being a member suited me this year as I had a saving, though there was no other incentive. I only ever played socially at the club, and don't play comps, if I get one and a half rounds in a week I will be lucky.

One thing I think needs sorted out (at least at clubs I have played at), is weekend tee times. A lot are reserved for members only. This is nonsense, we have had free tee times that don't become available until the Saturday morning for non-members, where as we have folk ringing week in week out willing to pay the higher weekend green fees and being told non-members after 3. Why would anyone pay £35 for a round after 3 in December or January? And then the morning tee times lying empty!

Holding spots for comps is one thing I can imagine you all saying, but there are members who are out there on a Saturday playing much slower, off higher H/Cs than a lot of our visitors. So letting non-members out in between groups isn't that big an issue surely?

Sorry this is a bit of a rant haha.

Golf is intimidating to those outside of the game (but so our most sports), I have only been playing a few years and didn't have any golfing friends at the time, and while I had the bug it took me a while to feel comfortable around the place. Gateway events and courses are what will make it grow. My Dad would love to take it up, but trying to convince him that no one gives a toss if you hit it 50 or 500 yards when you're out there seems to be the struggle- he is just retired and wants to start, he keeps throwing out excuses but I know deep down he just doesnt want to look stupid trying something new.

Don't forget there are different types of club, private members versus proprietary. A PMC will always vet prospective members as they are not money making organisations, they exist to provide a service. If you pay a hefty joining fee and substantial annual subs you don't want to be paired up in the monthly medal with the local paedophile or violent criminal :eek:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice course.

Quite stuffy

It is a lovely course indeed, very stuffy but course itself is outstanding.

Lifted from the membership part of their website

"There are two routes for applicants:
  • A candidate should have a proposer and seconder who are members of the Club and who have been known to him/her for at least four years, be acquainted with several other members, have played golf at Thorndon Park, and be aware of the traditions of the Club. Thorndon Park offers several categories of membership. For men and ladies, there is seven-day, six-day or five-day membership.
  • Others wishing to apply for membership of the Club but without a proposer and seconder – such as golfers moving into the area – are invited to contact the General Manager for further details."

So if I wanted to join I cant even use the route of my colleague I have worked with for 7 plus years id have to know a second member aswell

Very masonry.

"We currently have three buggies at Thorndon Park. These are available for hire for those who possess medical dispensation"

actually quite like this part as not a fan of buggies unless their needed but some mind find that a bit off

This is the same club that another friend of mine played and got quite firmly told off by the pro for having "the wrong colour socks" and was told if he wanted to play he had to buy a pair from the pro shop (or obviously change his socks if he had another colour with him for anyone who wants to get technical"

You summed it up perfectly

Beautiful course. But stuffy

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is a lovely course indeed, very stuffy but course itself is outstanding.

Lifted from the membership part of their website

"There are two routes for applicants:
  • A candidate should have a proposer and seconder who are members of the Club and who have been known to him/her for at least four years, be acquainted with several other members, have played golf at Thorndon Park, and be aware of the traditions of the Club. Thorndon Park offers several categories of membership. For men and ladies, there is seven-day, six-day or five-day membership.
  • Others wishing to apply for membership of the Club but without a proposer and seconder – such as golfers moving into the area – are invited to contact the General Manager for further details."

So if I wanted to join I cant even use the route of my colleague I have worked with for 7 plus years id have to know a second member aswell

Very masonry.

"We currently have three buggies at Thorndon Park. These are available for hire for those who possess medical dispensation"

actually quite like this part as not a fan of buggies unless their needed but some mind find that a bit off

This is the same club that another friend of mine played and got quite firmly told off by the pro for having "the wrong colour socks" and was told if he wanted to play he had to buy a pair from the pro shop (or obviously change his socks if he had another colour with him for anyone who wants to get technical"

You summed it up perfectly

Beautiful course. But stuffy

What is stopping you from applying? It states quite clearly in the bit I have highlighted.