The point in medal tees??

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi experts. Just wondering why we have such a thing as medal tees?

Whats wrong with practicing and playing off the same tees in practice and competition? If a hole is designed to be tricky, make it tricky all year long...don't see the point in bumping the yardage up 60 yards etc.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I prefer to think of it another way.

What's the point of Yellow Tees? Why play the course off easier tees than the course was designed for?

As soon as our white tees are back on fully, I won't play off the yellows (unless I have to) until winter comes.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We could move the tee around (like the yellow boxes normally do). I just mean when the medal tee is round a corner or 50 yards away.

We hack up the yellow tees and still use them everyday as it is.

Btw I'm not looking for a shorter course e.g. If it was always medal distance I think that would be ok. Just wondering why it needs to change by so much/at all.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We (members) always play off the whites, when they are out. Think they are reappearing in time for this Saturdays medal. Our yellow tees seem to be just for Societies. :D Only makes about 200 yards of difference over the 18 holes.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I think if everyone played off the whites it would lead to some very slow play. Most members and competition players are ok but what about the real hackers or complete beginners. They would really struggle with the extra 500 odd yards at my course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We always have the option of playing off the whites and to be honest in 5 years of being at Ascot I have probably played off the yellows no more than a dozen times and usually only in socila team golf events.

I want to test myself against the full cours all the time. The greenstaff move the blocks regularly and the back tee boxes are large enough to accommodate a number of positions. As a lot of the holes are quite long (par 3's particularly and the drive on 2 and 3) a lot of guys prefer the yellow anyway and so the whites aren't as heavily used as you might imagine

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We can only use white tees for competitions so it's yellow yellow yellow!!!!!
In the USA or at least those I've played in Florida they have four or five tees. Each one is given a recommendation depending on the player's handicap which seems sensible to me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We play off the whites during the summer, and the yellows in the winter. However, the whites are never in the medal positions. Medal adds probably another 400 yards to the course. That's what makes comps difficult, and why you should shoot nearer your h/cap in bounce games off the whites. Playing off the back tees all year would be a grind for many.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's precisely 88 yards difference between Yellow and White tees at my place. Biggest difference is 22 yards on a par 3 - so I take a 4/5 iron instead of a 6/7 iron. Everything else is within 5/6 yards.
Par is the same
SSS is the same

Basically it's the same course.

Not sure if I like that or not....

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Our place is 6320 of the yellow and 7213 off the back.
This makes a massive difference when it comes to comps if you are only used to playing of the yellow tees.

we always play off the back when possible cus it really is a different course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My rounds once the season has started are all off the whites. Last year I think the rounds I had after 27th March were all medal rounds except the forum meet at Castle Stuart and Boat of Garten. Just don't get a chance to play friendly's with so many competitions on.

At Tain the medal tee's add about 300 yards on to the course and that's on only 6 or 7 holes.

Can't comment on Nairn as I've yet to play off the championship course which is about 600 yards longer.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thats some difference yeardley, dont think ive seen that big a difference even on the championship courses ive played, where do you play (the sadist in me fancies playing a 7000+ track lol)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
thats some difference yeardley, dont think ive seen that big a difference even on the championship courses ive played, where do you play (the sadist in me fancies playing a 7000+ track lol)

Wychwood Park near Nantwich mate...
Score card at bottom of page, 4th is a beast.

http://www.devere.co.uk/our-locations/wychwood-park/golf.html

Do you actually play all your comps off the blue tee's then?

I see this is a resort course, they all seem to be over 7000 yards for some reason. Spey Vally up here is the same, trouble is they hardly let anyone play off the back tee's.

I usually play in their open and for that you got to play off the back tee's. Turned up at the first tee last year and was told " you are off the yellows today cos last year everyone complained it was too long off the back tee's!
Why enter a comp on a course thats over 7000 yards if you think its too long!!! the mind boggles. :mad:
Won't be bothering this year, Longest course up here so like the challenge :rolleyes:

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site

I see this is a resort course, they all seem to be over 7000 yards for some reason. Spey Vally up here is the same, trouble is they hardly let anyone play off the back tee's.

I usually play in their open and for that you got to play off the back tee's. Turned up at the first tee last year and was told " you are off the yellows today cos last year everyone complained it was too long off the back tee's!
Why enter a comp on a course thats over 7000 yards if you think its too long!!! the mind boggles. :mad:
Won't be bothering this year, Longest course up here so like the challenge :rolleyes:

All the clubs 'majors' are played off the back plus a fair few others. medals are played off whites.
We always play off the back on bounce games if they are out

Had the euro pro tour here a couple of times, was intersting to see how much longer the pros are than us and where they played there second shots... its a different game.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
our whites change our course completely, and after playing the whites constantly the yellows are boring. Some of our holes are almost 80 yards longer off the whites.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

All the clubs 'majors' are played off the back plus a fair few others. medals are played off whites.
We always play off the back on bounce games if they are out

Had the euro pro tour here a couple of times, was intersting to see how much longer the pros are than us and where they played there second shots... its a different game.

We had a Tartan Tour game at Tain a few years ago not sure how they played the course but i was told they all lost a few balls, Prov1's everywhere :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have always wondered why, in competitions and especially mixed ones, men play of the white tees but women stay on the red tees. Surely if blokes are moving back to the white tees, the women should move back to the yellows to even it up.