The plank (as mentioned on Chris Evans show)

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was listening to Chris Evans Show on Thursday as I drove down from Wick and he had a fitness wumin on talking about the only excercise you need to do for your stomach and its called THE PLANK.

Itis the simplest thing ever and I was sure it was easier than they made out on the radio. One guy aid he was shaking after 30 seconds and I though WOOSE !!!

So after checking into the hotel I tried it ........ By F*** it was sore and I only lasted 30 seconds before I collapsed.

Here is what you do:

Lie on your stomach, on the floor (like you were watching TV)with the weight of your torso on your elboes and forearms flat on the floor. Now lift your lower body and legs off the floor by puting all your weight on your toes and arms and keep that pose for ONE MINUTE.

Do this 3 times a day and apparently you will tone the tummy.

Try this and let me know what you think.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing new to me my friend, I used to do it all the time whilst I was into serious training. I much prefer it to sit ups: muscles toning without having to use energy moving up and down as such.

I just tried it as well and even thoguh I haven't done it for ages I managed a minute no problem. My muscles started to shake/spasm a bit after 30 seconds but it was fine.

Also if you are interested I have another one for you, lay on your back feet together and pointing at the sky and your head on the floor. Then lift both legs together (keeping them next to each other also) about 6 inches off the ground. No more, no less as this makes it easier. Hold that for a minute and you will feel your muscles working! You may want to put a pillow or something under your lower back though to avoid straining it. If you are feeling adventourous try moving your legs up and down alternately, it's supposed to make it harder although I am not sure it does.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Open the legs shoulder width apart but keep them 6 inches from ground, hold for 30, then go back to original pose!

All old football stuff that!

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have nightmares thinking about the exercises we used to do at football training. Would bring a tear to a glass eye!

Legs up 6 inches, legs down 6 inches, apart up down etc etc a bloody killer it was.

So glad golf is a nice gentle game where warming up is a few practice putts.

PS I think Chris Evans is a Plank!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whats your highest score on bleep test?

I got 12.5 when joining Marines, 9 weeks later at gym passout I got level 15.5

I dont wreckon I could do 10 now! :D

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was years ago at college, I cant remember but it was a great score at the time but I was really fit then and the only guy to beat me was an Irish amateur boxer.

I downloaded it from limewire with a view to doing it again recently but the fear has got me so I havent tried it maybe I will try it over the summer. I am about three stone heavier than college so that would probally kill me!!

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 line 20meters apart and you have to run from end to end without stopping until you can go no more. The beeps start slow, walking pace and the get faster/closer together so you have to start running. If you dont make the line before the beep your out.

Thats a rough idea of how it works. Bleedin tough.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love this exercise, it means I can get an abb workout between sets at the gym, but wow does it hurt. FEEL THE BURN!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Such a deep burrrn!

Pain is weakness leaving the body! My work out are very painful these days! :D

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whats your highest score on bleep test?

I got 12.5 when joining Marines, 9 weeks later at gym passout I got level 15.5

I dont wreckon I could do 10 now! :D

15.5 is brilliant. The average pro footballer is about that, and apparently the minimum you need to be able to do to be a pro is 14.5. I haven't done it too many times but my best is 13.6.

Any particular reason why you left the marines Tony?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I was only 18 and 6 months into the training I got admitted to sick bay with suspected menengitis. Was out after a week ok but they wanted me to spend a couple months in Hunter Troop (rehab troop) so it meant leaving my original troop (and best mates) and carry on with another troop in time.

This broke my heart and I decided I wanted a taste of civvi life before I did carry on. I left with the intention of re-joining within 5 years! But things never work out!

Biggest mistake of my life leaving, I regret it everyday. But I'm still young enough to go back if things dont work out.

Going back to the bleep test, their was only me and 1 other lad left running, 2 P.T instructors joined in with us at the end to keep us going, battling against each other! I was last man standing as his ankle went (so he says) at 15.1 I missed the beep at 15.2 made 15.3 missed 15.4 made 15.5 and missed 15.6 then they pulled me out! It was horrific but well worth it, as I got a good name with the P.T staff and a recomendation from the RSM telling me to run for the corps when I passed out! Always been good with the cardio side of things but the upperbody stuff I used to struggle with.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm.... the Plank.

Lie on floor. Lift body up with weight supported on forearms and on toes, with back straight? Slight problem - the belly is still on the floor. Does it still work?

D

Deleted member 1147

Oh I hate those bleeping bleep tests.

I managed to get into the 13s when I was at school
<still remember seeing my breakfast for the 2nd time that day>

I vowed to become unfit after that!
10 mins warm down after being on the weights is the only running I do now!!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did the blep test twice in my football/hurling career and managed mid 13's both occassions, only one other member of our team beat me and he managed in and around 15.

This was the mid 80's and i was aware of a Dublin Senior intercounty footballer who managed to get to 16.3. This from an amateur footballer who also had a day job.