The Open v World Cup Final

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the world cup final (with England) and Tiger (or your favourite golfer) in leading group of the open were on at the same time, which would you watch?

yes i know they are a week apart!

HAHA

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Was getting excited thinking we'd have a day of watching the open final round with the world cup final in the evening.

Nope, World Cup Final is on at 4pm!

Now i wonder if the R&A will move tee times earlier? surely knowing viewership (and possibly attendance) will be hugely reduced....

Personally i think they'll take the 'we dont play second fiddle to anyone' approach, and it will backfire.

Did you mean the Scottish open?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's take this as a theoretical discussion. For me, football every time. England in a world cup final could be a once in a lifetime moment. The tournament only happens every 4 years whereas the Open is every year and there are 3 other majors each year anyway. For me, not even close.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So our choices are
  1. watch England in WCF
  2. watch Scottish Open with Beef & Poulter in final pairing
  3. read posts by 'Clown' making pointless threads on GM forum :D

Toughie between 2 & 3 but 2 wins every time I think

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In terms of watching on TV, World Cup final beats all for me. I won't be missing that for anything. And that's not dependent on England being there or not.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a similar note, if England win tomorrow they play on Saturday afternoon. Who else is booked in for a pairs comp at the same time as the game? My pp won’t be happy when I’m in the pub rather than on the course 😂

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a similar note, if England win tomorrow they play on Saturday afternoon. Who else is booked in for a pairs comp at the same time as the game? My pp won’t be happy when I’m in the pub rather than on the course 

my brother has a wedding in Belfast, he purposely didnt renew his passport to avoid going (with the football now an added benefit).

he now knows he doesnt need his passport to go to Northern IReland HAHA. nice try

D

Deleted member 23270

On a similar note, if England win tomorrow they play on Saturday afternoon. Who else is booked in for a pairs comp at the same time as the game? My pp won’t be happy when I’m in the pub rather than on the course 

I'll be on a plane all afternoon so absolutely no chance of keeping tabs unless the pilot puts out a few announcements! Flew to the States one Saturday during the Ryder Cup, asked the hostess to find out what was happening and she came back and handed me a small printed ticket with all the scores on. She said' I have no idea what this means or if it is good or bad news'

It was bad news :(

D

Deleted member 15344

If it was a choice between the Open and the World Cup Final then it would be the Open for me having a quick check on the football every now and then

D

Deleted member 23270

I'd watch one on TV with the other running on my laptop :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've already got issues with the British Grand Prix next Sunday, and being at Le Mans for the week with the Classic event! No doubt there is also a golf event finishing this coming Sunday afternoon as well....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
World Cup.

Ryder Cup final day in a tight match would run it closer. I’ll always support my nation (not that I’m massively patriotic) over one individual. Especially as none of my favourite golfers are English.