The Open Rota

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Wouldn't it be nice to see a non-links course on the rota every now and then? don't get me wrong - links golf is my favorite, but sometimes i'd like to see them play somewhere like Sunningdale.

The ET does that almost every week - so No!

Oddly, Sunningdale HAS been used for International Final Qualification venue! Wonderful place to watch the guns play - and they rarely rip it up! But hardly the same conditions as they are likely to encounter on links courses!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I went through this yesterday and tried to work out where 2022 would be.

Current courses seem to be;

St Andrews (2021)
Troon (2016)
Carnoustie (2018)
Muirfield (2013, probably again)
Turnberry (2009, not definitely)

Birkdale (2016)
Lytham & St Annes (2012, guess 2022)
Hoylake (2014)

Portrush (2019)
St Georges (2020)

Turnberry has not hosted since 2009 and you would think if they were going to go to Trump Turnberry then it would likely be 2022. However the R&A don't confirm their official rota and simply make one off decisions for each event.

Turnberry is a great course, but access isn't great and crowds don't tend to be large there. Likewise Carnoustie - but is obviously kept on due to the course and history of exciting events.

Hoylake wasn't on for decades prior to early 2000's. But I believe is ideally suited to larger crowds and is in a good area.

Portrush was only really added due to massive success of NI golfers. It remains to be seen whether this will get another slot in the next decade.

Anyway, my guess was that 2022 will be at Lytham and I would be amazed if they would announce Turnberry as a venue (for 2022 or later) while Trump is still president. By not naming Turnberry, there is no real contention - but as soon as they announced it, it would cause a stir and they would have to manage Trump - whether he was president or not by the time of the event.

I think Royal Aberdeen coped very well with the Scottish open and would be a good venue (again, not sure of logistics). But I doubt there is sufficient requirement to add a brand new venue - espeically with Muirfield being back in the rotation.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Note - their appear to be 4 venues that are no longer used that have hosted previous Opens.

Musselburgh links
Prestwick
Royal Cinque Ports (Deal)
Prince's Golf Club (Sandwich)

I assume that if these were suitable in terms of logistics or being a sufficient test, they would have been used again by now.

The last time a brand new venue was added was 1977 (Turnberry) and prior to that Birkdale in 1954.

So don't expect a new venue announced any time soon.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I just came back from a walk down the costal path following royal porthcawl would love to see the big boys there and 100%keep it links that’s what the opens about .

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kingsbarns is a great course but I fear the players would rip it apart so maybe not a great option for the Open rota but would like to see it hold the Scottish

I think they would too, I also think to host an event of that size they would need a re-route to allow stands because there is no Chance the 18th could accommodate stands the open has.

Sadly, I think the Dunhill or maybe even the Paul Lawrie matchplay is as good an event as the men's ET could throw at KB. I don't think it has the infrastructure to hold even a Scottish open.

It still remains one of my favourite courses.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think they would too, I also think to host an event of that size they would need a re-route to allow stands because there is no Chance the 18th could accommodate stands the open has.

Sadly, I think the Dunhill or maybe even the Paul Lawrie matchplay is as good an event as the men's ET could throw at KB. I don't think it has the infrastructure to hold even a Scottish open.

It still remains one of my favourite courses.

Yep your spot on

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Royal County Down
Royal Porthcawl
Saunton Sands -using a combination

Then places like Royal Cinque Ports would be great but not sure if it can be lengthened

And Burnham and Berrow

But I think the top two are ones that are realistically close to joining, I expect Porthcawl to replace Hoylake at some point soon

Cinque Ports is 7200 off the blacks Phil. Pretty sure they could push it further back, but when the wind blows they would be bringing tees forward.;) Imagine playing the back nine into a nice 30 mile an hour breeze.:eek:

Royal County Down and Saunton have the quality for me.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The R&A have been up and down to Porthcawl a lot lately..... lots of gorse removed to aid spectator traffic.... final qulaifying at Ashburnham, Pennard and Pyle!!! It would be geat to have it there!

Saunton, wonderful place, also has the holes and space, but one winding road in and out...

Have they really? Would be great to see The Open down this part of the world! The 3 final qualifying courses you've mentioned are also superb.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The R&A have been up and down to Porthcawl a lot lately..... lots of gorse removed to aid spectator traffic.... final qulaifying at Ashburnham, Pennard and Pyle!!! It would be geat to have it there!

Saunton, wonderful place, also has the holes and space, but one winding road in and out...

That could be for anything though eg Seniors Open, Amateur championship, Walker cup etc etc.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it’s only right that The Open find a venue in Wales - Scotland have the four maybe 5 , England 4 Ireland one - Wales should imo have a venue if there is a course suitable and Porthcawl imo is

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I think it’s only right that The Open find a venue in Wales - Scotland have the four maybe 5 , England 4 Ireland one - Wales should imo have a venue if there is a course suitable and Porthcawl imo is

I agree. Porthcawl is a very good option for the Open. Has loads of room in and around it. Close to the M4 for traffic.

Only thing they may have to do is make the 17th the 18th and make the 18th the 1st. This would be to allow the grandstands to be put up around the last green. The real 18th is very limited for space with the clubhouse and the beach.

They could then also clear out the large gorse areas up the course for spectator villages etc.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love to see Southport & Ainsdale being added along with West Lancashire.

Both are fantastic courses.

They are both fantastic course but not good enough (or long enough) to hold an Open.

Even ignoring the fact they have nowhere near enough room for all the gubbins they need to put up for the event (TV, Hospitality etc etc).

Agree that one in Wales would make sense but not played any of the contenders, not sure they need to add any after that tbh......