The Open Rota

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also interested to know how people feel a composite of the east and west at Saunton would work as not too many of the holes really go near each other.

One thing i would 100% do is, make the players tee off the 1st tee of the west and play the 1st of the East. that would make it approx 570 and 245ish to the fairway.

the 15th would also need to be a par 4 as its too short as a par 5.

Burnham would be great for infrastructure. easy access from everywhere, Bristol Airport about 30mins away. limited changes would need to be made as its 7000yds off the tips now. The 4th would need to become a par 4 though.

you'd also struggle to get a grandstand around the 18th (unless you used one stand for the 1st tee and 18th green)

Last edited:

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
For Saunton you could make the East 16th the 18th in the open, not too far from clubhouse and room for grandstands etc.

A finish to rival Carnoustie would be 14th, 15th (as a par 4) and 16th (move tee back a bit) :)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I would say the only issue with RCD is the infrastructure. Newcastle can be near impossible to get into and out of during a sunny day in the summer. I can't imagine what it would be like with 100,000 people going for a golf tournament. With no rail links they would have to run buses from pretty far away to make it possible.

Yes but it's a course that merits a bit (lot) of effort to get around the problems (probably insurmountable) - can't think of anywhere else in that class.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've never played either Hunstanton or Brancaster here in Norfolk, but hear nothing but great things about it, some suggest it's just the location that stop it being an Open venue!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Burnham would be great for infrastructure. easy access from everywhere, Bristol Airport about 30mins away. limited changes would need to be made as its 7000yds off the tips now. The 4th would need to become a par 4 though.

you'd also struggle to get a grandstand around the 18th (unless you used one stand for the 1st tee and 18th green)

That'd be the thing, room around the entrance and clubhouse, where to put the tented village etc. I'm guessing the Channel course could be used but may not in the best location

Did they extend the course recently? Thought it was around 6600/6700 last time I noticed but could be wrong (the white tees are more than challenging enough for me!)

D

Deleted member 17920

I've never played either Hunstanton or Brancaster here in Norfolk, but hear nothing but great things about it, some suggest it's just the location that stop it being an Open venue!

Played Hunstanton and I couldn't see it holding a high profile event.

Doesn't Brancaster get cut off with the tide so not sure how they would get anyone round in time and spectators.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd like to see the Ailsa back on the rota :whistle:

Assuming the Ailsa remains on it then I'd like to see Kingsbarns added to it.

Kingsbarns is a great course but I fear the players would rip it apart so maybe not a great option for the Open rota but would like to see it hold the Scottish

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
That'd be the thing, room around the entrance and clubhouse, where to put the tented village etc. I'm guessing the Channel course could be used but may not in the best location

Did they extend the course recently? Thought it was around 6600/6700 last time I noticed but could be wrong (the white tees are more than challenging enough for me!)

its been 6900 off the green tees for a while, but then last season they extended the 6th tee about 40yds (moved it to the right and above the 5th green - its incredible), moved the 9th back about 30yds, and also moved the 11th tee back a little.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kingsbarns is a great course but I fear the players would rip it apart so maybe not a great option for the Open rota but would like to see it hold the Scottish

can't see it for the Scottish OpenTBH, already holds a ET event and its a pay and play, so another 2 weeks of not coining in the cash wouldn't go down well with the owners

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't it be nice to see a non-links course on the rota every now and then? don't get me wrong - links golf is my favorite, but sometimes i'd like to see them play somewhere like Sunningdale.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wouldn't it be nice to see a non-links course on the rota every now and then? don't get me wrong - links golf is my favorite, but sometimes i'd like to see them play somewhere like Sunningdale.

Sorry but it’s the only major that is played on true links and has to stay that way for me - why courses like Sunningdale are stunning The Open has to stay true to its roots and play on courses that were part of the birth of golf