The Open Rota

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Kingsbarns is a great course but I fear the players would rip it apart so maybe not a great option for the Open rota but would like to see it hold the Scottish

Agree. -30 wouldn't be unrealistic round Kingsbarns. Royal Aberdeen is a better shout than Kingsbarns.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I agree. Porthcawl is a very good option for the Open. Has loads of room in and around it. Close to the M4 for traffic.

Only thing they may have to do is make the 17th the 18th and make the 18th the 1st. This would be to allow the grandstands to be put up around the last green. The real 18th is very limited for space with the clubhouse and the beach.

They could then also clear out the large gorse areas up the course for spectator villages etc.

Well, the did shift the order as you describe for the Senior Open .... and if youve been there in the past 2 years you'll see that lots of gorse has been removed for that very reason

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I appreciate that Prestwick hasn’t been used for a long time because of infrastructure problems, but would the course now be appropriate for today’s players? It would be good to go back to the original home of the Open at some point.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I appreciate that Prestwick hasn’t been used for a long time because of infrastructure problems, but would the course now be appropriate for today’s players? It would be good to go back to the original home of the Open at some point.

Too short and little or no room for crowds, the reason it stopped being played there in the first place