The Open 2023

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Too early? Found out I've been allocated tickets for the Sunday at Royal Liverpool 2023! Very excited but.......

1) I've never been to a pro golf tourney before, let alone The Open. Any tips/tricks/must haves?
2) Hints around accommodation and travel? Assuming Liverpool is the obvious one, do they put on trains or buses to get out to the course or need to drive? What about Chester, any experience re staying there and getting (driving) over?

(Unfortunately) my wife quite fancies joining me so the chances of a golfing weekend and playing a course in the area are slim to none!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Got tickets for the Wednesday and Saturday, train over from Yorkshire for both days I think.

Plenty of places to stay either in Liverpool, or Manchester which is an awesome city if you don't mind a train journey into Liverpool for the golf.

D

Deleted member 1740

The train station for Hoylake is about 200 yards away from the entrance.
The trains are usually every 10mins from James Street station in Liverpool when the open is on.

Chester isnt too far away, probably about 40mins by car but hoylake can be bit awkward to get to by car so you'd have to use the park and ride and i'm not sure how far away they are.

If i were you i'd try and get accomodation in Liverpool then jump the rattler to Hoylake. Easy enough and less hassle in all honesty.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The train station for Hoylake is about 200 yards away from the entrance.
The trains are usually every 10mins from James Street station in Liverpool when the open is on.

Chester isnt too far away, probably about 40mins by car but hoylake can be bit awkward to get to by car so you'd have to use the park and ride and i'm not sure how far away they are.

If i were you i'd try and get accomodation in Liverpool then jump the rattler to Hoylake. Easy enough and less hassle in all honesty.

What he said ^ Liverpool is also a better night out than on the Wirral.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My mate managed to bag 4 tickets for the Sunday so I'll definitely be there.

Not heard about my application yet as I went for saturday and Sunday tickets.

I live about an hours drive away so still undecided about what to do for travel etc.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
I’ve got tickets just for the Saturday, got the email on Tuesday. Applied through the open website but put my Mastercard details in as well.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got tickets for Wed and Thu.
I thought if I got lucky, I'd maybe get one day, so now I need to see if I can negotiate with my wife to go for 2 days.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If anybody want's an adult and junior ticket for the Wednesday, let me know. Will sell on at cost which is £55.

The youth will still be in school now we're back in England, and I don't want to get into bother for him having a day off, so we'll just go on the Saturday instead.

evemccc

Visit site
Anyone had any allocated this week? Gone a bit quiet.

Still waiting…

I’m not sure that it’s the best system / method of ticket organising and selling I’ve ever seen (understatement)

Why is it so staggered in terms of letting some people know they’ve got what they wanted, weeks ahead of others??

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Still waiting…

I’m not sure that it’s the best system / method of ticket organising and selling I’ve ever seen (understatement)

Why is it so staggered in terms of letting some people know they’ve got what they wanted, weeks ahead of others??

I'm guessing they're doing it in waves. I think I prefer this to a queuing system on a specific date...but that'll change if I don't get in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They sent the first allocation a couple of weeks ago and those recipients had until last Thursday (I think) to buy them or reject.
I guess they're now collating all the rejected tickets and doing another "draw".