The Open 2016 - TV Coverage

D

Deleted member 15344

Positives about the coverage going to Sky ...... no more Mark James, Hazel Irvine and Peter Alliss ........ the prosecution rests your Honour.

And some will see that as a negative and you are now faced with - Monty , Roe , Critcthley , Livingstone who some feel are shocking

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Here's an original thought.

How about we all actually wait and see how things go with Sky before we firm an opinion on how Sky handle the Open?

I fully expect a proper dissection to begin after close of play on the Thursday after we are all armed with actual facts.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have Sky but don't subscribe to Sky Sports.

According to 'she who knows' I can buy a weekly package from Now TV for £10.99 to cover all Sky sports channels.
Sounds like a no brainer.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Or the R&A let some people down by going for more more money instead of more viewers

It's always easy to target the BBC

The target is only the BBC in this case as I am legally obliged to pay for a TV Licence and they had the Golf for years.
Can't really target ITV etc.

Game, set & match pauljd42. :thup: :D

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Positives about the coverage going to Sky ...... no more Mark James, Hazel Irvine and Peter Alliss ........ the prosecution rests your Honour.

You can add Mr Cotter to that list. Abysmal

And remove Alliss from it; whatever Sky do & however well they do it, there will be no-one on that team that realises that good golf doesn't need talking about like Peter Alliss did, and consequently my enjoyment of it will be diminished.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And remove Alliss from it; whatever Sky do & however well they do it, there will be no-one on that team that realises that good golf doesn't need talking about like Peter Alliss did, and consequently my enjoyment of it will be diminished.

Alliss went from doddery to surreal in the last couple of years.
I was starting to quite like the surreal version. Trouble was, wondering what load of hogwash he would come out with next sort of distracted me from the golf.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Horrible sexist dinosaur, he and his ilk have had their day, thankfully.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Alliss went from doddery to surreal in the last couple of years.
I was starting to quite like the surreal version. Trouble was, wondering what load of hogwash he would come out with next sort of distracted me from the golf.

Instead of which we now have Robert Lee telling us "Monty can really golf his golf ball". God help us.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I was watching the SKY coverage last night - the player zone, or whatever they call it, thought it was good viewing. Enjoyed seeing the various pro's come in, chat about shot making, and the course, answering questions from fans etc. Was entertaining and interesting, I'm liking Andy Sullivan more and more each time I see him. Was going to start a thread this morning until I saw this one. Nice to see Di Dougherty back on the screen, didn't see Sarah Stirk anywhere though...... Could Nick and Di become the Richard and Judy of Golf coverage?

Haven't read back through all the pages, not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but just seen that SKY will broadcast the entire day 1 for free on SKY1 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/201...n-the-first-day-of-the-open-championship-for/)

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Full marks to Sky so far. They've invested (not inconsiderable sums I bet) wisely in a good team and facilities and the coverage is interesting, informative and relaxed. I was a die-hard fan of the Beeb's efforts but it seems a dim and distant memory if I'm being honest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another thumbs up for the coverage, miles ahead of the Beeb. Great half hour programme with Tom Watson last night around 8.30. It was Watson giving a monologue regarding the rise of his career, his Open wins and points in his career that changed his thinking and helped him progress. He spoke wonderfully well, hugely respectful of Nicklaus in particular but also Trevino. Any young golfer would learn something from listening to him speak. Recommended.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got to admit I am not the biggest fan of Sky but completely agree with the sentiments that its been quality viewing thus far. Is so good that even Monty isnt as annoying as usual and Wayne Riley screaming into the mic in his course walk through raised a slight smile :)

Hope they keep this consistency up for the actual event.

P.S Also really looking forward to the postage stamp coverage with the camera on the wire and in the bunkers.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another thumbs up for the coverage, miles ahead of the Beeb. Great half hour programme with Tom Watson last night around 8.30. It was Watson giving a monologue regarding the rise of his career, his Open wins and points in his career that changed his thinking and helped him progress. He spoke wonderfully well, hugely respectful of Nicklaus in particular but also Trevino. Any young golfer would learn something from listening to him speak. Recommended.

It was on the big screen at Troon on Monday whilst I was having lunch
Brilliant piece. Even my 10 year old grandson stopped playing on the big cushions to watch.:lol: