Viewing figures for The Open are out .... Shocking!

D

Deleted member 15344

I expect sky will be more than happy with that number, they will also do everything to ensure its not on the same weekend as the Lords test match next year I expect.

Ultimately it would be great if we could get the coverage sky provide on free to air tv but that horse has now bolted (on pretty much every sport)

Any idea on the Beeb viewing figures for the highlights?

I expect Sky will be happy with the figures - not many of their programs hit 1 mil viewers

I'm not sure what they can do about the scheduling ? Can they change the dates of Test Matches ? I know they control the football dates but not sure how much control they have on other sports

I just hope the government don't buckle in regards things like the Euro's , Olympics etc - if Sky start grabbing more of a monopoly then they will dictate the price even further

I think they were talking between 1 and 2 mil for BBC highlights ( more than the live coverage )

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I expect Sky will be happy with the figures - not many of their programs hit 1 mil viewers

I'm not sure what they can do about the scheduling ? Can they change the dates of Test Matches ? I know they control the football dates but not sure how much control they have on other sports

I just hope the government don't buckle in regards things like the Euro's , Olympics etc - if Sky start grabbing more of a monopoly then they will dictate the price even further

I think they were talking between 1 and 2 mil for BBC highlights ( more than the live coverage )

I think Eurosport have already grabbed the Olympics for 2022 onwards (with some coverage going back to BBC IIRC)

D

Deleted member 15344

I think Eurosport have already grabbed the Olympics for 2022 onwards (with some coverage going back to BBC IIRC)

That's from the Olympics themselves and think it's Discovery Channel ( who own Eurosport as I have just found out ) who bought the full rights - in this country it has to be on free to air - so only the terrestrial channels could bid for the rights off Discovery , believe Eurosport have had coverage for years

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/02/olympics-bbc-discovery-deal

Last edited by a moderator:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

well just looked at next year and no scheduling clash, international cricket has a weekend off the weekend the open is on, expect that may be the case going forward too, hard to imagine sky dont have any influence over the cricket scheduling

D

Deleted member 15344

well just looked at next year and no scheduling clash, international cricket has a weekend off the weekend the open is on, expect that may be the case going forward too, hard to imagine sky dont have any influence over the cricket scheduling

I expect they have a lot of influence over T20 but no idea on the test stuff - they seem to market the "magic weekend" stuff a lot when they advertise multiple big sports over a weekend ? That seems to happen a number of times

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it just me who doesn't give a flying flip about growing the game and TV viewing Figures?
Same as I wouldn't if I played Football Darts Snooker or Tiddlywinks, as I'd imagine there all in decline too.

Football (pub) is in serious decline around my area. We have no local (pub) leagues, (there used to be three divisions of ten teams). This is due to the pubs, them that cater for the weekend kid revelers, being open until six in the morning. It's tough getting out of bed at 9am Sunday when you head only hit the pillow three hours earlier. So not just golf on the way out.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Other than a small stretch in the NW England doesn't have enough quality championship links to hold Open championships. (I haven't forgotten about RSG just generalising here)

So, forget the distance it's the cost when you're there that puts you off then?

Add the two together and you've got a good case going.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Football (pub) is in serious decline around my area. We have no local (pub) leagues, (there used to be three divisions of ten teams). This is due to the pubs, them that cater for the weekend kid revelers, being open until six in the morning. It's tough getting out of bed at 9am Sunday when you head only hit the pillow three hours earlier. So not just golf on the way out.

I think most pastimes are in decline due to the fact that no one has any time left to do anything after they've spent several hours a day doing what we're doing right now and most days....

Talking Bollox on the Internet!!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think most pastimes are in decline due to the fact that no one has any time left to do anything after they've spent several hours a day doing what we're doing right now and most days....

Talking Bollox on the Internet!!

:rofl:

:thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That's from the Olympics themselves and think it's Discovery Channel ( who own Eurosport as I have just found out ) who bought the full rights - in this country it has to be on free to air - so only the terrestrial channels could bid for the rights off Discovery , believe Eurosport have had coverage for years

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/02/olympics-bbc-discovery-deal

I don't think the its anywhere near as watertight as it used to be

Would appear the gov might have buckled on the 'crown jewels' just 8 months ago according so section 3 of the paper: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...02.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEGckaejGKFqtKScjCeoL2c_1-K7A